• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scope mount for SMLE

KJK

Donor
Reaction score
I am looking for a scope mount for my grandfather's BSA SMLE MK III*. He bought it already sporterized sometime in the '50s. It currently has a low side mount scope bracket with a Weaver K2.5 on it. I like to take it out and shoot it now and again but the scope doesn't seem to have any magnification anymore and my eyes aren't the greatest either. I would like to mount a modern scope on it and I am looking at the Addley Precision Picatinny mount. I am wondering if any members here have experience with this mount or know of another mount that will work. My rifle doesn't have the bar across action since it already has a scope mount.

#1 .303 British Lee-Enfield Picatinny Scope Mount – Addley Precision

Any info is appreciated

Hi KJK,

The #1 MK 3 SMLE is a tough rifle to get a scope mounted on - they were built in an age when curves were cool on rifles.

So, with your rifle already having the Charger Bridge removed, (the bar thing) that would make it easier to install a scope mount. That said, in one of the pictures of the mount, they show it being held in place with only the extractor screw. That's un-good.

To properly install this mount, you will need to drill and tap the receiver in the correct locations. They sell a full installation kit that includes the necessary bits/taps which is good, but unless you have a milling machine and a machine vise, you are going to struggle to do the installation yourself.

I will suggest finding a local gunsmith and asking them to do the installation for you if you go this route.

I can understand the desire to bring new life to your Grandfather's rifle, and wanting to keep shooting it.

NS

Hi KJK,

The #1 MK 3 SMLE is a tough rifle to get a scope mounted on - they were built in an age when curves were cool on rifles.

So, with your rifle already having the Charger Bridge removed, (the bar thing) that would make it easier to install a scope mount. That said, in one of the pictures of the mount, they show it being held in place with only the extractor screw. That's un-good.

To properly install this mount, you will need to drill and tap the receiver in the correct locations. They sell a full installation kit that includes the necessary bits/taps which is good, but unless you have a milling machine and a machine vise, you are going to struggle to do the installation yourself.

I will suggest finding a local gunsmith and asking them to do the installation for you if you go this route.

I can understand the desire to bring new life to your Grandfather's rifle, and wanting to keep shooting it.

NS
Thanks for the reply. I certainly found out how hard it to get a modern scope mounted on one of these rifles. I went to several gun stores and inquired about scope mounts and they told me nothing is available. I was a little surprised by this considering how many of these rifles are out there but it probably has a lot to do with your point about the curves.

I am assuming the picture with the single screw is just for display purposes. The current mount I have has 5 bolts holding it on so the next question would be if any of the old screw holes interfere with the new ones. Time will tell.

I was hoping someone had used on before and could tell me how well it worked.

Have a great day,

KJK

In case anyone else is interested in the Addley Precision SMLE scope mount I will say that it is a well engineered piece of kit. If you buy the installation kit along with the mount it can be installed on your kitchen table with nothing other than a drill and a screwdriver. The drill bit guide works well, I used a cordless drill to carefully drill the required 2 holes and then used the included tap to thread them. Everything went together the way it should and in an hour or so the mount was installed. I bought some Tally medium height scope rings for it and put on a 3x9x40mm Bushnell Banner scope that I had removed from another rifle. Not the best scope for sure but an awful lot better than the 70+ year old Weaver K2.5. I am hoping to get to the range next week to try it out.

IMG_1901.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpg

I have not used the Addley as but I have heard good things. Sun optics makes a similar mount which I have used that requires no permanent mods or drilling into the receiver if you’re concerned about drilling. Just a bit more finicky to get it set up solid. No1MK3 accuracy suffers a bit when they are sporterized but most of these guns are 70-100 years old anyways.

Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28mm. It is often more rugged and have fewer moving parts, which is great for a scout setup on older rifles.

Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28mm. It is often more rugged and have fewer moving parts, which is great for a scout setup on older rifles.
Those scopes are nice but my old eyes need more magnification than 2.5x. I will stick with the 3-9x for now. I am not sure I can justify spending a large amount on a scope for this rifle. It is only for plinking now since I don't use full power ammo anymore. I don't want to stress this 105 year old action too much.

Back