• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scotch

infantryian

Inactive
Reaction score
    Hopefully there are more than a few scotch drinkers on this site. I am looking for a nice scotch to purchase for my father for Christmas. I'm fairly certain that he usually drinks Glenfiddich 12 year, but I can't stand the stuff and have no idea where to begin. I tried googling, but it was all about malting and oaking and blended vs single malt. All well over the head of a simple beer drinker like myself. If anyone has any good recommendations that would be very helpful. I am looking to spend around $80-$100, and the Sask liquor store has the following:

Johnnie Walker Gold 18 yr $107
Caol Ila Distillers Edition $107
Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition $100
Talisker Distillers Edition $100
Chivas Regal 18 yr $91
Dalwhinnie Highland 15 yr $85
The Macallan 12 yr $85
Genfarclas 21yr $83
Bowmore 18yr Islay $82
Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve $82
Glenlivet 18yr $82

There were also the gift baskets of the following:
Variety pack containing one 200 ml each of Johnnie Walker Red Label, Black Label, Gold Label and Blue Label. $100
Gentle Tastes Gift Box: Contains 200ml  15 Year, Oban 14 Year & Glenkinchie 10 Year. $90
Strong Tastes Gift Box: Contains 200ml Talisker 10 Year, Cragganmore 12 Year and Lagavulin 16 Year $90
Glenfiddich Tastes Gift Box: containing one 200 ml each of Glenfiddich 12 year old, 15 year old and 18 year old. $89

Of course there are also a million more from $60-80 range, but I don't know where to begin so I assumed the more expensive means the better. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Sapperian said:
I assumed the more expensive means the better.

Not necessarily.

From your first list, I'd recommend the Macallan and the Bowmore to start with.

Michael O'Leary said:
Not necessarily.

From your first list, I'd recommend the Macallan and the Bowmore to start with.

I'll strongly second The Macallan 12.  Not everyone likes Islays like the Bowmore, so it is the safer bet.

The Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve should be quite nice as well.  While the 12 is a bit harsh, I find that the 15 and above are very pleasant.

If you want him to broaden his horizons, go for the gentle taster pack.  Oban is a nice one.

Try to stay away from the blended.  They really can be hit or miss.  Although if you must, go for Famous Grouse.  It's inexpensive but pretty good, especially to those who are just getting in to whiskeys.

Macallan is always a good bet and, seriously, the strong taster set really isn't that strong.  There are some nice ones there that have a good mix of smokiness and peat that won't knock you on your ass.  If you get him that you may find him spending more time with his nose in the glass enjoying the smell than actually tasting it!  ;D

Glenfiddich 12 is a nice albeit young, dry, fruity Speyside with just a hint of peatiness.  Not a whole lot of finish, and not very lasting, but nothing that gets too medicinal in nature.  Does your dad like this one in particular, or was it just something that someone gave him and he started drinking it? 

Johnnie Walker Gold 18 yr $107      :) :) (I'm not a blend snob, in fact I have J.W. Blue in my cabinet...just a bit overpriced here)
Caol Ila Distillers Edition $107        :) :) :)  (A nice, sweet-peaty Islay - all Caol Ila's I've tasted, I've liked)
Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition $100    :) :) :) :) (I'm a sucker for Dalwhinnie, nice heathery, sweet with a subtle peaty finish)
Talisker Distillers Edition $100        :) :) :) :) :) (This one's fantastic - wonderful two-stage, first light peat followed by rich, chocolatey finish)
Chivas Regal 18 yr $91                  :) (Not bad, but like J.W. Gold, overpriced for what you get)
Dalwhinnie Highland 15 yr $85      :) :) :)  (This is my DD - daily(ish) drinker - light, sweet, easy to drink without adding much/any water)
The Macallan 12 yr $85                  :) :) (Provenance or the Sherry? Provenance a bit less oaky. Young Macallan's not as nice as other young malts)
Genfarclas 21yr $83                      :) :) :) (A very nice Speyside. This builds nicely to a big, long Sherry and smokey finish - good value)
Bowmore 18yr Islay $82                :) :) :) (A very nice Islay, not too smokey, but big toffee and choloate flavour - I like any Bowmore, hard to go wrong)
Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve $82    :) :) (Had this one a couple of times and didn't find it any nicer than the 12 yr.)
Glenlivet 18yr $82                        :) (light, fruity, but you can get that from much younger [cheaper] scotch)

Although I didn't see it on your list, I am also a big fan of Aberlour, particularly the "A'bunadh" - a very nice Speyside distillery known for very rich, full, chocolately-nutty sherryied scotchs.  Can't see it on the SLGA site...mayber not available, but I would ask the staff if it can be special ordered in...LCBO Vintages has it in stock an alsmost all their Vintages outlets. 

Also, see if you can hunt down the Dalmore Gran Reserva (used to be called the Cigar Malt, but renamed to avoid smoking/health stigma, I guess) - it's an amazing scotch, very full, rich and chocolately with citrus theme in the finish...an amazing scotch!

My  :2c:

Cheers
G2G

..or you could buy something that doesn't taste like dung.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..or you could buy something that doesn't taste like dung.

it's MOSS, not poop...  ;)

This thread is about the best varnish/paint remover out there, isn't it?

recceguy said:
Like a good Irish Single Malt ;)

Not that Jameison's isn't okay, but the Irish had to cheat (triple distilled) to get theirs to taste nice...  :piper:

The only Irish single malt I ever had tasted like, in the words of my father "Peat moss mixed with bandaid"..... it was bad.

Wow thanks for the replies, more helpful than I could have imagined. Some of you really know your scotch.

Good2Golf said:
Does your dad like this one in particular, or was it just something that someone gave him and he started drinking it? 

Not quite sure, it is just what I've always seen in his liquor cabinet.

Sapperian said:
Wow thanks for the replies, more helpful than I could have imagined. Some of you really know your scotch.

Not quite sure, it is just what I've always seen in his liquor cabinet.

Just to let you know, if you buy him one that he really likes, don't expect to see him drinking it...except for special occasions!

The Macallan - get an older one if you can. I'll echo Duey, younger ones are more harsh. The thing about The Macallan that you can tell folks is that it has no caramel added for consistent colour, it comes completely from the cask.

I am quite partial to Dalwhinnie of any age but do prefer the distiller's edition available at the duty free for about 35 quid, much cheaper than Canuckistan. I normally bring back two crocks every trip, unless I already have my checked bags full with other grog.

A new one that I am quite fond of, hold your breath, is a single grain from Fife called Cameron Brig. I have only seen it in pubs and one single malt shop that is in the town where my office is located. It's cheap as chips (20 quid) and about the smoothest drink I've ever had. Unfortunately you'll never get in in Canada unless you check it in your baggage (yes I do!) or you hit the website of the local merchant and pay shipping because it is not available at Duty Free.

For anyone interested, I recently set up some shipments to Canuckistan because so many folks have been asking me about the Cameron Brig. Average price for UPS is about 90 pounds for 4 bottles but becomes significantly more cost effective at 12 bottles at 170 pounds - plus the price of the spirit, of course.

So if you got twelve jugs of Cameron Brig it would work out to 35 quid per bottle, or about 60 bucks.

Anyone interested in contacting the merchant here can PM me for details.

Anyone liking their scotch a little cool might want to check out the soapstone drinking rocks now available. They cool the drink without adding water. I quite like Dalwhinnie a little chilled...the Cameron Brig needs NOTHING.

I'm with Scott.

Go with the MacAllan, or the Dalwhinnie.

I've been partial to single malt scotches for years, they are both very nice, well rounded, and balanced. Not as severe a taste as an Islay, or a Speyside.

The Dalwhinnie is the one that gets the most use in my cabinet. The MacAllan is in the cupboard at the cottage.....

Reading this thread has made it official..... There is no way I could take a commission, me and my JD just aren't classy enough for the mess  ;)

BulletMagnet said:
Reading this thread has made it official..... There is no way I could take a commission, me and my JD just aren't classy enough for the mess  ;)
Haha, I was thinking it, but just didn't want to say it.

BulletMagnet said:

LOL......a few of us older folks actually lobbied the JRM to get at least a bottle of Glenfiddich on the bar.

BulletMagnet said:

I'd hate to blaspheme the water of life, but just remind those in the upper messes that the barrels used to age the finest nectar from heaven come from the lowly American whiskey distillers.

Back