• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Scrounging" to complete a mission in Iraq leads to jail

Hottie,

I cannot even fathom why they chose to have a judge rather than trial by peers in the court-martial board.
???

The really funny part about it is that I heard an interview with this guy on CBC, yesterday morning I think.  The lady doing the interview asked him why he didn't have a trial by peers and he totally side-stepped the question.  He never did answer the question?  It all seemed a little fishy to me.

Huzzah for the lawyers and officers who chose career before mission and men. It's a red letter day for both species of bottom feeder.

A footnote,
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/12/27/soldiers.scrounging.ap/index.html

Officer released from brig for 'scrounging'
28-year veteran said she would do it again
Tuesday, December 28, 2004 Posted: 0209 GMT (1009 HKT)

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A former Ohio Army Reserve commander who was court-martialed for taking abandoned Army vehicles in Kuwait so her unit could carry out its mission in Iraq returned home Monday after serving a six-month sentence.

Maj. Cathy Kaus defended the actions taken by herself and her fellow soldiers. She said she has applied for clemency.

"What we did, we did at that time because we thought we needed to do that," Kaus said at Dayton International Airport, adding that she would do it "all over again" if put in the same circumstances.

Kaus, released Monday from a Navy brig in San Diego, said she was convicted of theft, willful neglect, abandonment and conspiracy of abandonment.

She was among six Ohio reservists from the Springfield-based 656th Transportation Company who were court-martialed at a time when some U.S. troops in Iraq are complaining they have to scrounge for equipment.

Members of the unit said they needed the equipment to deliver fuel to U.S. forces in Iraq for everything from helicopters to tanks.

According to one of the reservists who was court-martialed, they took two tractor-trailers and stripped parts from a truck that had been abandoned in Kuwait by other units that had already moved into Iraq.

"I think the punishment was a little bit on the unfair side, maybe kind of extreme and kind of harsh," Kaus said.

Sens. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, and Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, have asked for clemency for the soldiers.

Clutching a bouquet of red and white carnations, and wearing jeans and a V-neck sweater, Kaus was embraced by friends as she walked past the security checkpoint and into the main part of the airport terminal.

A 28-year military veteran, Kaus said she wants to stay in the service and would go back to Iraq.

After reading all that I could find about this incident I am of the opinion that we're not getting the whole story...I'm almost posative that there is allot more to this.

Slim

Back