• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

FSTO said:
It doesn't. And I don't care about the SSI. I was commenting on a comment by Pusser about accidents in the field in the air and at sea.

Maybe a separate thread is in order.

Oh god, a separate thread on which service has it tougher ? Could you imagine how sideways that would go ?  lol

I have no iron in the SSI fire.  If I ever qualify for one it means I got kicked out of my current community and got sentenced to fling wing stuff.  :'(

Just for thought;  the army had marksmanship badges (soon to be Markspersonship badges  ;D), safe driving pins on their DEU for some folks.  Both of those have different levels. 

Air Force has all sorts of badges, not on DEU but the flying jammies.  I wear a VPI badge on my right pocket below my name badge.  some pilots wear ICP badges.  Some people with significant amounts of hours wear "hours patches".

Those display proficiency and / or experience on DEU or operational dress. 

Isn't the SSI sorta the same as the above examples? 

Eye In The Sky said:
I have no iron in the SSI fire.  If I ever qualify for one it means I got kicked out of my current community and got sentenced to fling wing stuff.  :'(

Just for thought;  the army had marksmanship badges (soon to be Markspersonship badges  ;D), safe driving pins on their DEU for some folks.  Both of those have different levels. 

Air Force has all sorts of badges, not on DEU but the flying jammies.  I wear a VPI badge on my right pocket below my name badge.  some pilots wear ICP badges.  Some people with significant amounts of hours wear "hours patches".

The SSI is an attendance badge for a core skill (being a sailor and sailing). Marksman and Safe Driving (although silly) show proficiency above the standard level expected of the trade/profession/soldier. I count the stuff on flying jammies as more like morale patches than anything. None of it is authorized in dress uniform. Keep in mind that the Army looked at something dumb like this, a Combat Action Badge with different levels based on how big of a TIC you were involved in. It was scrapped because it was a giant penis waving adventure and had people trying to get themselves on CLP convoys so they could get into a TIC and get at least a Silver badge.

Halifax Tar said:
Perhaps a compromise would be to take away days while on deployment (NATOs, Op Reassurance, Op Apllo ect ect) for your SSI totals as those days are already rewarded for in the way of days towards medals.

That is an interesting idea and would likely change how people viewed the SSI and whether they would even want to wear it at all.

FSTO said:
Knock on wood but we have been fairly fortunate in the lack of deadly accidents involving the RCN. But as shown by the accidents involving Fitz and McCain, accidents can hit you at the most inopportune time.

Off the top of my head I can think of a half dozen machinery space fires that were quickly put out but could have gone sideways quickly over the last year or two that could have gone sideways.  I also know of numerous close calls (high pressure fuel leaks) that also could have turned into big fires easily enough, so I think the RCN is just beating the odds at this point for no one getting killed

Eye In The Sky said:

Interesting counter points EITS.  I see some similarities except that safe driving pins are only for truckers, Marksmanship badges are coming into the RCN again, and the different Velcro things you zoomies like are already infesting the RCN. Also marksmanship is a qualification.  You have to score a certain level to gain badges.

The SSI does not denote proficiency, it simply denotes time spent doing X. 

Navy_Pete said:
Off the top of my head I can think of a half dozen machinery space fires that were quickly put out but could have gone sideways quickly over the last year or two that could have gone sideways.  I also know of numerous close calls (high pressure fuel leaks) that also could have turned into big fires easily enough, so I think the RCN is just beating the odds at this point for no one getting killed

Been through two fires at sea, a boatload of near misses (fuel spraying on engine manifold), Swissair and almost getting washed over the side in a storm. So yes its an attendance badge I guess ::)

Halifax Tar said:
As for a shooting war you will notice from this website: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/second-world-war/second-world-war-dead-1939-1947/Pages/files-second-war-dead.aspx
the majority of losses in WW2 were members of the CA.  24,525 served in the Army, 17,397 in the Air Force and 2,168 in the Navy. 

Regarding Bomber Command,

"Only the Nazi U-Boat force suffered a higher casualty rate."
http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/commandlosses.html

PuckChaser said:
The SSI is an attendance badge for a core skill (being a sailor and sailing). Marksman and Safe Driving (although silly) show proficiency above the standard level expected of the trade/profession/soldier. I count the stuff on flying jammies as more like morale patches than anything.

The only "morale patch" would be the one on the left shoulder, which is usually for a unit badge (as opposed to the crest on the right shoulder).  I think the closest to the SSI would be the "X thousand-hour" patch but that's not mandatory. 

In true Aussie tongue-in-cheek fashion, they have a "X thousand orbit" patch for their AP-3C Orions when they did similar stuff to what the Auroras are doing on OP IMPACT.    :nod:

PuckChaser said:
The SSI is an attendance badge for a core skill (being a sailor and sailing). Marksman and Safe Driving (although silly) show proficiency above the standard level expected of the trade/profession/soldier.

I've said I've never sailed.  I HAVE been *over* high sea states and watching frigates, destroyers, etc heaving in Sea State 6 plus.  Think of being in the back of an AFV going cross country hatches down for days.  Following tanks. 

I am on the fence on the SSI, but I know when I see someone in my trade with the SSI on, or any hard air trade for that matter, I know just from a glance they've got experience I don't (air ops from a flight deck the same size as my patio) and I give them the respect due just for that.  I've watched the fling wingers and Mother in sea states that make me think "oh man I am glad I got LRP"  ;D.

I count the stuff on flying jammies as more like morale patches than anything. None of it is authorized in dress uniform.

Actually,Army types, I can take a look at someone in DEU and have a fair idea of what their trade, qualification/experience, and unit is.  Cap badge, shoulder dogs, trade badge, rank, Bde patch, ribbons, medals, commendations, etc.  Pretty easy read, right? 

We're somewhat the opposite.  I see someone in a flight suit..and seeing as we all wear the Big Bird cap badge I can get a read on them from right side badge (name), left side badge (aircrew/flight crew/specialty qual...pilot, FE, Flt Srgn).  Right shoulder should be their heraldic crest (their Sqn, or unit).  Left shoulder could be their subunit or type...this could be a *type* patch (Aurora, Hornet), it could be a crew/Det (subunit patch).  We've also been getting unit identifiers to go on our slip-ons, just like RCD, or RCCS etc have (not everyone posted to a Sqn is in flying jammies) and Sqn patches are now auth for CADPAT (which I support...the folks posted to my Sqn who wear CADPAT are just as equal Sqn members as I am). 

I can look at someone I don't necessarily know in a flight suit and say *that guy is Bob, he is an FE WO at 413 flying on the Cormorants*.  Morale patches, to me, would be more like the ones that are authorized for certain periods of time doing a big exercise like MANTA, Joint Warrior, RIMPAC, etc. 

*Hours* patches.  They are semi bragging rights, semi experience level IMO.  Working for a TacNav who has a 5000 patch, well thats a shitload of experience.  SSI I would compare to the experience level, myself, reflected in someone with an Hours patch, only ya we don't wear that on DEU. 

Does a gold SSI mean someone is the best in their trade?  Nope, and I've seen shitpumps walking around with medals who were shitpumps on ROTOs.

Keep in mind that the Army looked at something dumb like this, a Combat Action Badge with different levels based on how big of a TIC you were involved in. It was scrapped because it was a giant penis waving adventure and had people trying to get themselves on CLP convoys so they could get into a TIC and get at least a Silver badge.

Maybe the SSI will eventually go the way of the Warrior Badge.  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe the SSI will eventually go the way of the Warrior Badge.  8)

IMHO, speaking as an Infantry guy, the SSI is to the Warrior Badge as 'sublime' is to 'ridiculous'.  :nod:

Halifax Tar said:
Interesting counter points EITS.  I see some similarities except that safe driving pins are only for truckers, Marksmanship badges are coming into the RCN again, and the different Velcro things you zoomies like are already infesting the RCN. Also marksmanship is a qualification.  You have to score a certain level to gain badges.

The SSI does not denote proficiency, it simply denotes time spent doing X.

Exactly, only MSE Ops get the *I can drive!* badge, but I never heard a blackhatter complain about that (crewman are, on average, pretty damn good drivers...anyone remember the old CADMS qual?). 

I used to wear the Marksmanship one, years ago...they visually represent something to people...same as the SSI does.  Only the SSI is, like my Wings, not an annual thing.

If trucker might not ever get in an accident, drive forever because he/she isn't 'leadership material'  ;D and still get the Safe Driving Award.  But could also, possibly, not be a very strong member of their trade.  Just a safe driver.  Does that equal proficient?  ???

Dimsum said:
The only "morale patch" would be the one on the left shoulder, which is usually for a unit badge (as opposed to the crest on the right shoulder).  I think the closest to the SSI would be the "X thousand-hour" patch but that's not mandatory. 

In true Aussie tongue-in-cheek fashion, they have a "X thousand orbit" patch for their AP-3C Orions when they did similar stuff to what the Auroras are doing on OP IMPACT.    :nod:

There are some crew patches that have been "procured" or so I've heard.  I personally say this is unconfirmed RUMINT because NO ONE would wear a patch that wasn't blessed by the Boss.  No one! 

* Especially, a patch would NOT be worn by a crew with a RAAF skipper.    :whistle:

Attachments

• morale patches.jpg
    morale patches.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 210
daftandbarmy said:
IMHO, speaking as an Infantry guy, the SSI is to the Warrior Badge as 'sublime' is to 'ridiculous'.  :nod:

The Warrior Badge was a highly regarded, respected and coveted...pin! 

All this talk about the SSI, morale patches and the Warrior Badges is giving me an idea.  We need a patch or a badge or a ribbon on our uniform to say how well we did on our Force Test.  I'm leaning towards a patch to wear on the CADPAT / flying suit / NCD and a ribbon on the DEU (like the Americans have for certain things) so people who don't have many can feel good about themselves.  I was thinking of a badge for the DEU but I'm guessing that most people would like a ribbon instead.  Of course, if you get so many Golds on the Force Test you would get a different morale patch and more ribbons (sarcasm)!!!! >:D

Was there not supposed to be one for those who got Platnium?

Happy Guy said:
All this talk about the SSI, morale patches and the Warrior Badges is giving me an idea.  We need a patch or a badge or a ribbon on our uniform to say how well we did on our Force Test. 

To risk the Good Idea Fairy (TM), the Aussies actually do have a badge (eagle for RAAF, rifle for ARA, anchor and waves for RAN) that signifies that you are fit for deployed service, or something to that effect.  Basically, a badge to say that you can do your job.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/aussie-current.htm

Happy Guy said:
We need a patch or a badge or a ribbon on our uniform to say how well we did on our Force Test. (sarcasm)!!!! >:D

Happy Guy,

There are levels of hell (NDHQ) reserved for you, simply for giving birth to such a suggestion. The bloody Good Idea fairies will now run with the suggestion and impose new untold torture on us all.  [/spoof, parody]

Back