• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

ref: CANFORGEN 001-11

It looks like the roll out of the SSI will now be delayed until April this year, at the earliest. The mesage indicates they intend on having the SSI out before Battle of Atlantic ceremonies this year.

Even with the delays it is makes you wonder why the pretty shiny things seem to make it out fairly quickly yet the operational clothing promised by the NICE program still hasn't come out yet.  Seems like some mixed priorities.

Sub-normal said:
Even with the delays it is makes you wonder why the pretty shiny things seem to make it out fairly quickly yet the operational clothing promised by the NICE program still hasn't come out yet.  Seems like some mixed priorities.

Well look at it this way...do you want the clothes that are designed to keep you warm and dry to actually do their jobs or would you rather settle for the first piece of gear they find at Value Village?

I was just talking to a clerk and was told that the CANFORGEN may have been released in a little haste (I am not saying this is the gospel truth people). Until numbers from people's MPRRs are correlated with specific ship's schedules by the "Team" (wherever they are) and then entered into Monitor Mess...I mean Mass, then members cannot really check (IAW the end of para 3 of the CANFORGEN).
He suggested that this may not be the case until at least mid February.
Again, this is what is being relayed to me by someone who seems to be quite a competent clerk. (even if he does wear green!)
For some reason, I have been getting MANY emails from afar (I just got posted to Ottawa) from people asking me about this.
If I hear anything a little more solid, I will pass it on.

Saw a spreadsheet yesterday.

I apparently have 1083 Sea Days.

*shrug*  Might be right. 

NS

NavyShooter said:
Saw a spreadsheet yesterday.

I apparently have 1083 Sea Days.

*shrug*  Might be right. 

NS

Hmmm is this spread sheet open for all to see ?

Seen my time today as well, seems like I have 1620. I know I have more, but since I meet the criteria for the gold I guess it doesn't matter.

Halifax Tar said:

It's not available in the production version of Monitor/MASS yet.  If you know someone who has Beta you should be able to see your days.

Halifax Tar said:
It's not available in the production version of Monitor/MASS yet.  If you know someone who has Beta you should be able to see your days.

Not sure the source, but it came from my COC, and showed the sea days of the entire ship's company. 

I think the highest number was in the 1900's....that's almost 200 sailing days per year for 20 years....

Care to guess his trade??

Hint #1...NOT MARS

:p

NavyShooter said:
I think the highest number was in the 1900's....that's almost 200 sailing days per year for 20 years....

:eek:rly:

New math?  ;)

Oopsie.

Brain took a momentary vacation on me....insert FAIL icon here.

(face-palm....?)

I've been busy thinking about why they'd send a bunch of CSE guys out for the new Attack team Leader course (50% of the Journeymen LS's in the entire department GONE for 2 days during a SWP....)  and the CSE guys will, in all likelyhood, never be an Attack Team leader....

Pre-occupied. 

I'll sign up for remedial math tomorrow.

;D

NS

I see the new production version of monitor mass is out now, lots of gaps to be fixed.  Apparently where we work we will be in charge of updating the sea days for our people a pretty big task to be sure.  Interestingly I was also given a database today of every CF ship since 1955 and the sea days for each, looks pretty good and an excellent  tool to figure out actual days at sea.

I checked Monitor Mass today and the numbers were in there. Our section ranged from 760-1700 days.

Chief Stoker said:
I see the new production version of monitor mass is out now, lots of gaps to be fixed.  Apparently where we work we will be in charge of updating the sea days for our people a pretty big task to be sure.  Interestingly I was also given a database today of every CF ship since 1955 and the sea days for each, looks pretty good and an excellent  tool to figure out actual days at sea.

I will have to check MM when I am back to work tomorrow.  After my CT, my sea time did not cross over to my new MPRR.  My BOR is in the process of requesting my file through the Privacy Act to track everything down.

As for the ship database, does it include the MCDVs too?  Would you mind sharing 2002-2006 for SAS and WHI, if it does?  Thanks.

Chief Stoker,

I can imagine that would be a tough data-base to have developed.

Question.  Does it count days in foreign port?

NS

The database shows days at sea for each ship and has a search feature. I can't attest how accurate it is, I would imagine there are instances where it is not due the data available and difficulty obtaining it.

NavyShooter said:
Question.  Does it count days in foreign port?

Days at anchor or foreign port do not count. Also days less than 8 hours underway do not count as well.

Chief Stoker said:
The database shows days at sea for each ship and has a search feature. I can't attest how accurate it is, I would imagine there are instances where it is not due the data available and difficulty obtaining it.

Actually, it ought to be near perfect and should have been easy to produce. The math wiz at operational research have had every ship in commission file a monthly Ship Activity Report every month for the last 60 years. This report, compiled by the Nav. O's from the ship's logs and OOW notebooks, have to be a continuous description of the employment of the ship accounting for every hour  of its service. No gaps allowed. So for each ship in commission, you know precisely which hours you were at sea, at anchor or alongside for the whole duration of her service.

It doesn't tell you who was onboard in any given hour, however.

Back