• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search Problem & Upload Folder Full

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1)  Tried searching for some goodies, and I kept getting the "no results" page.  Clicked to "Home", and searched for "Afghanistan" and got back the "Your search query didn't return any matches" message  - :eek: - so does this mean the search function is on the fritz?

2)  Can't attach files -  getting the " The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator" message.

Thanks!

The search problem was noted earlier by another user.  I've sent a PM to Mike regarding it.  The Upload Folder Full thing is news to me.

We'll have to wait for Mike to get back to us.

Thanks for letting me know it's in hand, Roy - and thanks to you (and all the other mods) for your patience doing what could be a pretty thankless job!

milnews.ca said:
1)  Tried searching for some goodies, and I kept getting the "no results" page.  Clicked to "Home", and searched for "Afghanistan" and got back the "Your search query didn't return any matches" message  - :eek: - so does this mean the search function is on the fritz?

2)  Can't attach files -  getting the " The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator" message.

Thanks!

I also got the "upload folder full" mesage when I tried to attach a picture, earlier today. Embedding a picture [ img] http// ... etc [ /img] works fine, the problem occured when I tried to use the "Attach" function in "Additional Options" - my file was 173KB, well within limits.

Guess that answers my questions why I couldn't find "Criminal Record" in the SEARCH function.......and I know that there are several pages covering Criminal Records here.

Sorry folks... the search problems are my fault. After a discussion about search accuracy, I decided to rebuild the entire search index. It's massive, about 1Gb in size and will likely take a few days to completely build, during which time search will be of limited (but slowly increasing) use.

To put it in perspective, we are now at 3.12% done, and it's been running for several hours.

For the attachments, we simply ran out of allocated space. I've allocated some more. :)

Thanks very much for the update (and hard work), Mike - much appreciated!

George Wallace said:
Guess that answers my questions why I couldn't find "Criminal Record" in the SEARCH function.......and I know that there are several pages covering Criminal Records here.

That's funny, George, that's what I was looking up.  I wonder why?  ;)

That's good, glad there's a problem because I tried to find some stuff last night and was feeling a little er, slow. Was afraid to say anything  :eek:

*phew*

Mike:

Have you considered outsourcing serach?  When I'm looking for something, I tend to rely on Google and use "site:forums.army.ca Search Words".  Rather than burdening your hardware, why not let Google (or Bing, or Yahoo) do it?

Admittedly, this won't work for the deep, dark, secret Mods board (where plots for global domination are carefull constructed, then abandonned as sobreity sets in, or so I've heard), but adding Google seach boxes would seem to be an easier, less demanding solution - since they're spidering the site already.

It's not a bad idea... I'd like to give the rebuilt search index a fair shake, but if it doesn't work out, we might just go that route.

The new index is still only at 49.12%.

Well that explains why I wasn't able to find any topics this morning, that I was sure had been discussed before on the boards. Hope the update is going well Mike.  :)

The new search index has finally been completed. Here's hoping search will be more helpful from here on out...

The site's search worked well for me this morning. Found my topic right away.

Thank you Mike.

Back