• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Searching for a PI- any advice.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Bit of an odd request but it's pretty significant. Can someone with a little working knowledge of the subject recommend a good private investigator in the Guelph area?  I've did some searching but I'm really out of my element so not sure what to look for and what the red flags are.

If Clinton wins tonight, the FBI director might be available to help?

Problem is that recommendations will likely depend on what you're looking for - and I'm reasonably certain you don't want to discuss that in an open forum.

(I have little to no knowledge of the field, and even less knowledge of Guelph, so I am not your guy to provide a referral).

It's not too secret- a PI that would follow someone to collect information or I guess trail someone. Very ambiguous  :)

Have you tried open source research? Or you literally want someone to conduct physical surveillance on your behalf?

I'm trying to help someone find a legit company. I've tried looking but I've never dealt with them before so can't tell a legit company from someone with an online PI course.

Jarnhamar said:
I'm trying to help someone find a legit company. I've tried looking but I've never dealt with them before so can't tell a legit company from someone with an online PI course.

Since an investigator needs to be licenced, perhaps there is a provincial database in which their credentials are listed.  However, don't think of looking for a "Mannix" or "Rockford".  A sole practitioner is probably not your best bet if you are looking for someone with varied and comprehensive investigative experience - likely gathered through policing before entering the private sector.  Most of those types will either be a senior principal or partner of an agency, or in a management position with a multi-location firm.  Depending on the circumstances, the investigator who does the actual leg work may be that kid with the "online PI course" (I don't know if such a thing meets the licencing requirements of Ontario), but there will (or should) be supervision by a more senior investigator.  At least that's how it was at the company where I worked (part-time) as both a security guard and investigator nearly 40 years ago (privates were paid crap back then and that's how I supplemented my military pay - back then, in Alberta, guards didn't need a licence, but investigators did).

A quick google search for agencies in Guelph turned up this.
http://www.gs-investigations.com/index.php

I don't know anything about the company or the principals.  But my suggestion would be to seek a recommendation from a local civvy or military cop of your acquaintance - they may know someone who moved into the private sector.

Jarnhamar said:
a PI that would follow someone to collect information or I guess trail someone.

I can do that for you, JH. I guess it's not stalking if you're getting paid for it?

1) Interview the Complainant.
2) Surveillance of the Suspect rendezvous with the alleged Companion.
3) Present graphic film evidence of spousal misbehaviour to the Complainant.
4) The Confrontation. Busted!

I'm not a PI, but I am a Cheaters fan!  :)

Best professional surveillance and tail job ever? The French Connection!

mariomike said:
I can do that for you, JH. I guess it's not stalking if you're getting paid for it?

But still illegal if you're getting paid for it.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/05p34
Private investigators
(2) A private investigator is a person who performs work, for remuneration, that consists primarily of conducting investigations in order to provide information.  2005, c. 34, s. 2 (2).

Same

(3) Examples of the types of information referred to in subsection (2) include information on,

(a) the character or actions of a person;

(b) the business or occupation of a person; and

(c) the whereabouts of persons or property.  2005, c. 34, s. 2 (3).

. . . . .

Individual licence
6. No person shall act as a private investigator or a security guard or hold himself or herself out as one unless the person holds the appropriate licence under this Act and,

(a) is employed by a licensed business entity, a registered employer under section 5, or an employer that is not required to be registered; or

(b) is the sole proprietor of a licensed business entity or is a partner in a licensed business entity.  2005, c. 34, s. 6.

Unless, of course, you've got a Pontiac Firebird, and live in a trailer next to the beach . . .  and of course, have a licence.

I think a big 'stage and a friend with a helicopter are required as well.

dapaterson said:
I think a big 'stage and a friend with a helicopter are required as well.

'stache?

You mean like these guys?  I'm sure they have a helicopter or two... ;D

image.JPG

Jarnhamar said:
Bit of an odd request but it's pretty significant. Can someone with a little working knowledge of the subject recommend a good private investigator in the Guelph area?  I've did some searching but I'm really out of my element so not sure what to look for and what the red flags are.

If you did your own searching you probably found these guys: https://www.haywoodhunt.ca/private-investigators-guelph.html

I haven't used them, but they have a large presence across southern Ontario and the Toronto Star has gone to them for opinions on open investigations if that legitimizes them any in your eyes.

"Based in Toronto, and servicing all of Ontario"
http://premiereinvestigations.com/services-2/

Thanks everyone for the input. It's actually really important. Appreciate it.

Jarnhamar said:
Thanks everyone for the input. It's actually really important. Appreciate it.

Is the licence part important to you?

On the other hand, speaking from past experience, if you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.  :)

Back