• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
277
Points
910
Year-long French course means you either go to a Bilingual unit, or French language only unit.

As an Infantry Officer, you will NOT necessarily be posted to such a unit.  If you demonstrate potential, then the Regiment will place you on French Language training at the appropriate time in your career.  This is just as likely to take place in Edmonton, Shilo, Petawawa or Gagetown as it is to happen anywhere else.  You can help yourself by a) getting tested, and b) indicating your willingness to attend SLT by telling your Boss, and by doing whatever training you can on your own time (keeping in mind that you will be very busy with your job, OPMEs etc).

Bottom line - be good at your primary function and the rest will fall into place.

What Regiment are you planning on joining?
 
A

aesop081

Guest
PuckChaser said:
Year-long French course means you either go to a Bilingual unit, or French language only unit.

Nope, far from it.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
526
Points
1,060
CDN Aviator said:
Nope, far from it.

Then my career manager was wrong when we were told that last year, or its just a C&E Branch policy.
 

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
410
PuckChaser said:
Then my career manager was wrong when we were told that last year, or its just a C&E Branch policy.

Truth is that it varies, often by branch, so there is no one standard answer.  Since the Career Manager is the one who loads you on the year long course, he may vary well only want to load those individuals whom he intends to later post to bilingual positions or those in the candidate's second language.  However, this does not mean that a member of the RCR will suddenly find him/herself posted to the Van Doos.  Permanent Regimental Affiliation still remains the same.  A PPCLI is always a PPCLI (generally unless he/she asks to change).  So, in those cases, SLT may take longer and not become a consideration until the candidate is ready for a staff position outside the Battalion/Regiment.  Other branches will look at it differently. 
 

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
277
Points
910
Pusser said:
Since the Career Manager is the one who loads you on the year long course, .......  A PPCLI is always a PPCLI

And in the PPCLI, although the message may come from the Career Manger, the decision is made by the Regimental Colonel.
 

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
410
PPCLI Guy said:
And in the PPCLI, although the message may come from the Career Manger, the decision is made by the Regimental Colonel.

Every Branch seems to have its mafia making some of the decisions...
 

dawenm

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I wonder if the second language training is aimed at those who understand either English or French. Does an officer need to understand both English or French fluently? I am english second language, and nothing to know of French. am i eligible for this training?
 

Tewkster

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
dawenm said:
I wonder if the second language training is aimed at those who understand either English or French. Does an officer need to understand both English or French fluently? I am english second language, and nothing to know of French. am i eligible for this training?

Considering that French & English are Canada's both official languages, being fluent in at least one is highly recommended to serve in the CF.  If an officer wants to progress through the ranks, he/she will eventually need to be able to function comfortably in both languages.

Since English is your second language and your mother tongue is not French, you might want to take SLT in English since you are most familiar with it compared to French.
 

Drag

Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Tewkster said:
Considering that French & English are Canada's both official languages, being fluent in at least one is highly recommended to serve in the CF.  If an officer wants to progress through the ranks, he/she will eventually need to be able to function comfortably in both languages.

Since English is your second language and your mother tongue is not French, you might want to take SLT in English since you are most familiar with it compared to French.

This is not the intent of SLT.  SLT is intended to increase one's proficiency in their Second Official Language, not their  First Official Language (FOL).  When you join you elect your FOL  My first language is neither English not French but my FOL is English.
 

Wookilar

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One thing to consider: All of our tests are either English or French. If you choose English as you FOL, you will not be allowed to take English classes.

It is something that is becoming more of an issue for us. The number of aliphones in the CF is increasing. We have had a number of issues at the school I am currently at due to language barriers. Being functional in English is not the same as being able to successfully complete a technologically advanced course that requires a lot of reading and writing.

Wook
 

CountDC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
12
Points
480
Wookilar said:
One thing to consider: All of our tests are either English or French. If you choose English as you FOL, you will not be allowed to take English classes.

It is something that is becoming more of an issue for us. The number of aliphones in the CF is increasing. We have had a number of issues at the school I am currently at due to language barriers. Being functional in English is not the same as being able to successfully complete a technologically advanced course that requires a lot of reading and writing.

Wook

but as you have to pick between French or English as your FOL it is better to pick the one you are functional in than to pick the one you know nothing in.  For sure you stand a better chance of completing that course.
 

armyguy1

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Growing up in the Western part of Canada I never learned to speak French. I am wondering how others have dealt with this when wanting to become an Officer. What home study courses have people had success with? Or what methods of learning French are best?

 

SkyHeff

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I joined the CF with the French ability to count to dix. They will provide the French training when/if you need it. In 10 weeks last summer, I learned more than in the 10 years I took it at school.
 

CombatDoc

Full Member
Reaction score
2
Points
0
armyguy1 said:
So it is nothing to worry about. Thank you very much!
I wouldn't say that, exactly.  Your second language profile will very much influence your promotions beyond the rank of Major, and the linguistic bar for full Colonels is set high.  If you are lucky and are properly succession planned, you should receive second language training before you reach the rank at which you need to be bilingual.  I know folks who did not get promoted because they either chose not to complete SLT or because they were not selected = not promotable.  It's a big deal.
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
As we all aware the ability to communicate in both official languages is beneficial to Canada as a whole, now that being said I do agree that a second language profile should give a guy a little extra for the ol' PER but 20+ points c'mon that's a little much!! As a tech I can see one of two things happening, you'll have a bunch of eccentric Sgt's of the young fellers learning the trade and getting out leaving trades empty. Another issue is you will then have a switched on pers beat out by a " so so" performer because they have a second language profile. Anyone else share these views or............
 

The Bread Guy

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
246
Points
930
This is one that's been tossed about a fair bit elsewhere a while back:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/946.0.html

Stand by for merge ....

Milnet.ca Staff
 

anbeckett

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Does anyone know or remember the old system for the French Profile?
I had a 3 +2 -2 +1, but I have no idea what that means anymore.

Thanks for dredging old memories!

A
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
If I remember correctly (It has been a while):

1 = Fluent
2 = Advanced (but not fluent)
3 = Basic knowledge

5 or 8 was Untested

Then you had ( not sure of the order): aural (listening), verbal (spoken), reading and writing.
 
Top