• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

Does anybody know if french language courses are readily available to NCM's upon completion of initial MOC training? I'm asking here because the recruiting centres are closed for the holidays and DND's recruiting webpage is extremely vague about this. Also is it possible to transfer to R22eR a.k.a Vandoos once determined to have a satisfactory grasp on the language from taking such courses if available? I just feel that being immersed in an all french surrounding will accelerate my ability to be fully competent when using the language.  

Take this for what its worth, but the platoon commander for my IAP/BOTP course (he's a PO1) said that he had been trying to get loaded on a french course for years, and he can't do it.  Keep in mind, his situation is a little different (being a platoon commander, and with the shortage of instructors he's a very valuable commodity).  Its certainly something worth asking at the recruiting centre, once they open back up.

I can speak to this with some authority as in addition to being a reservist, I am the (ACOL) official languages coordinator for western area, and run the language school at Edmonton Garrison as a DND civilian.

It used to be automatic for NCMs but it was dropped for money reasons, and quite honestly , because a great many new NCMs were not all that enthusiastic about sitting in a classroom for the better part of a year before soldiering, when many of them were just out of school as it was. Understandable, but the downside is in the situation that exists now with Valcartier where many Log, EME and now even Armoured trades are at full strength and young Francophone ptes just off there threes are being posted to Edmonton and other bases by the hundreds, are unilingual, and the language training is not mandated. We train them as they come in, if the units will let them go, but that's another story.

Anyway, a full range of second language training is available in Edmonton, Petawawa, Kingston, and Gagetown and to varying degrees on other Land Force bases, so when you arrive at your first posting contact the BCOL (Base Coordinator Of Official Languages), find out what's available and ask for SLT through your chain of command. Of course, if you go officer you still WILL get compulsory French training in St-Jean (up to 8 months worth) right after your BOTC.

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to contact the BCOL once I get to my first posting. I'm not entering as an Officer due to not having the educational requirements so the NCM route is the way for me. From what you've seen Pencil Tech what other languages are available to learn? Pencil Tech, I was going to say that you saved me a trip down to the recruting centre but I just realized I've got to go anyhow. I got my results from my civilian doctor, he cleared me so I'm good to go now. I'm dropping off my med. test results in the new year at the recruiting centre so hopefully I get merit listed right away and get sent off to Quebec within 3 months. Hey Pencil Tech, maybe in the future I'll run into you if I get posted to the PPCLI.  :salute:

Noreaga, the Canadian Forces Language School in Ottawa is the only place where languages other than the two official ones are handled. Good luck on your enrolment and training and by all means look us up if you end up with 1 or 3 PPCLI.

I misunderstood your earlier post Pencil, I thought you meant more then one language was available on the mentioned bases. Hopefully whichever unit I get posted to will be up for letting me get second language training. I'll definitely look you up if I end up with either 1 or 3 PPCLI and get you out of that chair since you're Chairborne. ;D I'd be bound to run into you especially since you're running the place.

Im looking for some of the viewpoints from those here who may have become products of the SLT system, or were already functionally bilingual and that have led (either at the NCM level) or the officer level troops in the language OTHER than their maternal language.

(Ie if you are a Frenchy by birth, but learned English and then was posted to an English unit, or an English person who learned french then was posted to Valcartier or something)...

How hard did you find it?
Tips/tricks?

Also, what is the "interoperability" policy in the forces... I was under the impression that they wanted everyone to be bilingual so the various nets could be understood by those who need to understand...  Does "Working language = theatre/tactical language"?

Reason I ask is that Ive heard many English candidates who have gone through SLT and feek semi-comfortable ahve found themselves posted to 12 RBC or R22R or one of the other Valcartier Units...  I was just reading a diary where language (a French instructor trying to give directions to english troops) where they were not clear on his instructions...  is this a big issue?

I personally am functionally bilingual, and speak in french all the time at work, but I wouldn't claim to have all the lingo down or be french, myself... 

THnx for any comments.

...do you have a comment on the possibility of French language training for a reserve officer in Calgary?...
Cheers, JF

Hello J.F.,

The problem you face as a reservist is that if you are on Class "A" service you have to "sign in" for everything you put your uniform to do, so is your unit going to pay you to go to French classes? On the other hand, if you are on a Class "B" contract you will have to get permission from your employing unit to be absent from work . A bigger problem in Calgary is the military demographics of the area. We have run a couple of courses at ASU Calgary over the last couple of years but there are not a lot of potential candidates among reg force pers there and so the training opportunities are a bit on the sporadic side. I suggest you contact the MFRC at the Waters Building (41 Brigade HQ) as they from time to time run evening French courses for military spouses which reservists may attend.

Hey J.F. what about Toronto? Are there any possiblities that we could get some language training?

Hello Pencil Tech,

Do you know if the SLT course in Edmonton can replace the 3 1/2 months of slt that NCM's take through the Subsidised Education Plan (NCM-SEP)?  I'm in Edmonton and would rather not go to St Jean if there is an alternative, especially if there is one going throughout the summer.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan. We ran a course for CFRs last year as a pilot "Quality of Life" alternative to St-Jean. The program has not been continued this year. Nevertheless, depending on your level of ability, we might very well be able to offer you something that could reduce the amount of time you will have to spend in St-Jean. Why don't you give me a call at the base - my local is 5712 - and my real name is Tracy Howe.

I am a Sr cpl 17 years I am English, Posted in Valcartier for 8 years now and at first it was very hard I didn't speak a word of french. i was given a 5 week  basic course and the rest I learned on my own  i can speak understand and read pretty fluently  but i can't write very well . I'm pretty much self taught.
    My opinion is its the best way to learn French, To be totally immersed in it and have to preform your duties in French.In my experience i was learning it for me and not cause i was in a class but because it was do. or be totally lost . That was a great Motivator and although I am not perfact in French after 8 years i am more then functional .And to be honnest I'm loosing my English i only hear English when i go home to N.S.

Hi!

I'm french and i got a level 6 slt two years ago. I got E-C-C on the tests. I'm still doing some mistakes ,but buddies correct them in a friendly manner.

I think that the slt status ans results are not enough for the chain to completely thrust you 100%. I had to prove myself to my peers and supervisors. When they figure out that you understand all what they are saying, and your work is just as good as any other person ,you're clear.

I feel that my comrades treated me well. Took a bit of time to prove myself to the highers...

Keep it up!

Greetings all:

I have a topic I want to discuss but it is touchy so I am putting out feelers first.........

Is being bilingual important in the Military?

Is the Canadian Military Bilingual?

Is NB the only Bilinqual province in Canada?

Mike,

i know this tends to be a contentious issue but here's my 2 cents:

Canada is officialy a bilingual country and we have troops who only speak one language.  Even though it is, IMHO, too expensive to put all soldiers trough SLT, i think it is important for all leaders ( specialy at the senior levels) to be able to communicate with all troops. In my section in 1 CER, i had 2 brad new sappers who did not speak english, so when the o'group with the WO was over i would have to spend a goot amount of time repeating what was said to those 2 sappers.  Its a good thing for them that their section commander (me) spoke both languages.

For your second question, I'm not sure if we could consider the CF as bilingual, we have alot of divisions along linguistic lines.  Most franco troops tend to be posted in Quebec and most anglos in the rest of the country.

For the third, i would have to say that NB is the only province to be "openly" bilingual.  The province has even forced municipalities to have all by-laws in both languages.  Quebec tends to be openly hostile to english and other provinces seem to be reluctant to go all the way.

thats my $0.02

Mike Cotts said:
Is being bilingual important in the Military?

Depends where. On the Navy Side of the house, French doesn't really assist us much, whereas the international language of the seas is English. Spanish would be a good second language working in the East Coast Navy.

Mike Cotts said:
Is the Canadian Military Bilingual?

Not really.  Though all Officers must take second language training, the majority of Jnr NCO's aren't bilingual.

Mike Cotts said:
Is NB the only Bilingual province in Canada?

Yes

Now Pat,

Did those 2 sappers know English and not speak it? I know that happens at times. And did those 2 sappers not have to take English trg after recruit training?

Mike Cotts said:
Now Pat,

Did those 2 sappers know English and not speak it? I know that happens at times. And did those 2 sappers not have to take English trg after recruit training?

No, they knew no english whatsoever !!!! A third guy, i had forgotten about was so bad that he was eventualy posted to 5 RGC.  They were not sent to SLT after recruit school, which would be very very rare for NCMs. One of the 2 was sent by the regiment to SLT on the base, half-days. Theo other guy was so bad at english that even the base language school couldn't help him !!

Back