• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Security concern with social media and military personnel

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
On my personal facebook page I sometimes put up a photo of me in uniform. When I do this, once in a while I will get a friend request from either a really hot girl (who would never talk to me in real life), who only has a few Arab friends, or someone with an Arab name with/without a profile picture.

I believe these are signs that intelligence gathering using social media is fairly rampant (I'm sure people are well aware of this), and people serving now or in the past might need to consider the potential consequences of displaying such information online. (They are making a list and checking it twice, kind of thing)

I'm not clear what the CF policy is on social media pictures?

Serving or not, one needs to be careful about who you accept as friends, follows you on twitter/instagram etc.

Just a heads up from your friendly neighborhood computer nerd.

Pieman said:
On my personal facebook page I sometimes put up a photo of me in uniform.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/military-gets-new-social-media-policy-in-wake-of-attacks-1.2070490
• Remove any reference to your employment with the DND and/or CAF from all social media sites, especially photographs of military personnel in uniform.

END QUOTE

That's no longer in effect MM. They actually want us to publish content to social media, including us in uniform doing military things (while mostly this applies to unit social media pages, they aren't discouraging individuals from doing it.).

Ack. Thanks, Lumber. :)

Ah good to see there have been some steps to counter this.

Just be cognizant of it. Digital communications are continually being monitored and listened to by foreign services. It's really unavoidable these days unless you just don't use it.

There is a option on Facebook to only allow Friend requests from Friends of Friends instead of Everyone on FB. It'll help reduce the efforts of intelligence gathering by outside parties.

I was once getting similar requests....I have a friend who has a collection of what he calls "Daesh Friend Requests".

With my account locked down somewhat (friends of friends) I don't get the 'interesting' friend requests anymore.

NS

If someone is going to post identifying pictures of them in uniform it's best to not post comment or debate anything  from your account.

I am curious of the CF's overall social media policy etc when it comes to talking about things such as BMQ, and general military life etc. (I assume this is something that is probably laid out in no uncertain terms at the beginning of BMQ). I also use BMQ just as an example or starting point.

As an example/comparison:
A (what I would call relatively well know) youtuber "Matt Ward" from the US makes extensive videos talking about his overall experiences from recruting to basic training to overall military life. He does not really post actual video of what happens during the training etc. But does discuss many aspects of things in detail and tries to give tips and a glimpse into what should be expected. His advice is quite positive and isn't the usual garbage "how to cheat the system" style of tips.

I know a few people who have gone through, or are actually in BMQ now, who considered his videos to be extremely helpful.

The "problem" is that he is in the US. So his basic training, while being similar, is not exactly the same as what BMQ is here. When trying to find direct content regarding BMQ in Canada, you have very little information available asides from one good set of videos from TDV, and a very small handful of random clip/collage videos from people who did BMQ, and filmed using a potato.

I don't see anyone from Canada posting stuff like this. Is this purely because nobody has done it, or because the social media policy is much tighter in Canada?
I personally would do a set of videos similar to Matt's after going through BMQ, but something tells me it wouldn't fly with policy.

(For the record I'm not in BMQ yet. Still in process, I'd say at least 9 months out at least. So a long time away.)

IMO, BMQ = no security risk.  What will the enemy find out...how we make beds and what week we learn marching and wheeling in quick time?

TDs, exercises, etc for my community, we are usually ok to do things like not turn off "Location" services on our phones, FB, etc and people will take and post some pics of where we are with no harm or foul on anyone's part - example, Ex Dynamic Manta in Sicily.  NATO announces it and its on social media.

OPs - different story.  No one 'checks in' to their hotel or country, no pictures go up, social media security is usually a topic during the brief from the ATF Commander or crew commander, etc.  I have a lot of pictures from IMPACT, as an example, that will never make their way to FB or any other open source sites. 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-2000/2006-0.page

For purposes of this DAOD, security is the condition achieved when DND and CAF personnel, information, assets and resources are protected against espionage, sabotage, subversion and terrorism, as well as against loss or unauthorized disclosure.

Threats to the DND and the CAF may come from various sources in or outside of Canada. The threats may be overt, covert or clandestine in nature. They may be deliberate, inadvertent or some combination of both. Threats may involve criminality, espionage, insider activity, sabotage or subversion, but negligence, indifference, lack of security awareness or culture, concentration of assets, operational and financial constraints, and ever-changing technology may also contribute to security vulnerabilities. In order to maintain operational effectiveness, vulnerabilities must be continuously examined and monitored in light of existing and emerging threats.

Another good ref is the National Defence Security Orders and Directives (NDSOD). {which replaces both the former NDSI and NDSP]

In it you should find more about OPSEC (Operational Security), PERSEC (Personnel Security) etc.

Accepting Friend requests from anyone you don't know, as a CAF member, is letting someone into your front door in the middle of the night that you don't know, or know their intent.  I can call myself Hottie McHotstuff and make my profile picture an attractive lady in a bikini on the beach, when in reality I am more like the troll under the bridge.  Do you want the troll to know who you friends and family are, where they work, get pictures of your nieces and nephews, etc?  I don't.  I lock my stuff down so I am not putting innocent people potentially at risk.  :2c:

True story here - during OP IMPACT, a deployed CAF member from my wing didn't have FB locked down very well and had posts on his account that indicated he was in the Middle East on IMPACT, etc.  His family was contacted at one point via social media, told that this guy had been injured and in need of medical attention, that required money, etc.  It was all BS, BUT whoever was doing it was able to get the mbr's family contact info and send them a plausible story that caused some people to go into a speed wobble.

Really good info! Thanks once again!

This helps explain where the CF "draws the line". In my case/examples, I wouldn't want to go beyond BMQ. Once you start any kind of trade or operational training, all bets are off for obvious reasons.

I just know that for a few people who went into BMQ, they went in with more confidence and probably much better prepared after seeing the different videos and tips available; but again, it would be nice to have more Canadian based content up there.

This also presents a double edge...
Example:
I create a bunch of videos on recruitment and BMQ information and tips etc... While they are "harmless" in content as it's not exactly a national secret how to march or make beds or pack a rucksack...
My trade is AESOp - Which takes a level 3 clearance. (This alone may have an impact on my social media presence that I'm not yet aware of... In fact I'm sure it will).
I get deployed to a very active and hostile theater.
I get recognized. ... Things go sideways from there.

jdog said:
I get deployed to a very active and hostile theater.
I get recognized. ... Things go sideways from there.

There will be mitigating procedures when (and before) you get deployed, if it is deemed necessary. 

jdog said:
I am curious of the CF's overall social media policy etc when it comes to talking about things such as BMQ, and general military life etc. (I assume this is something that is probably laid out in no uncertain terms at the beginning of BMQ). I also use BMQ just as an example or starting point.

As an example/comparison:
A (what I would call relatively well know) youtuber "Matt Ward" from the US makes extensive videos talking about his overall experiences from recruting to basic training to overall military life. He does not really post actual video of what happens during the training etc. But does discuss many aspects of things in detail and tries to give tips and a glimpse into what should be expected. His advice is quite positive and isn't the usual garbage "how to cheat the system" style of tips.

I know a few people who have gone through, or are actually in BMQ now, who considered his videos to be extremely helpful.

The "problem" is that he is in the US. So his basic training, while being similar, is not exactly the same as what BMQ is here. When trying to find direct content regarding BMQ in Canada, you have very little information available asides from one good set of videos from TDV, and a very small handful of random clip/collage videos from people who did BMQ, and filmed using a potato.

I don't see anyone from Canada posting stuff like this. Is this purely because nobody has done it, or because the social media policy is much tighter in Canada?
I personally would do a set of videos similar to Matt's after going through BMQ, but something tells me it wouldn't fly with policy.

(For the record I'm not in BMQ yet. Still in process, I'd say at least 9 months out at least. So a long time away.)

Putting on my PAO hat here...

If you want to do the same thing while you're on BMQ, I say have at 'er!  Now, don't go publishing while you're ON BMQ.  Aside from drawing any unwanted attention to yourself, you will also get the benefit of hindsight when you're done and can edit your pieces accordingly or add some comment to them.  And when you do decide to publish, just give your unit Public Affairs Officer a heads up.  They may want to see what you've put together, and by all means point them to Matt Ward's channel (he's got some good stuff).

I think it's a great idea!

Good info thanks!

Yeah I would not want to actually publish while on BMQ. (There's no chance I'd have a minute of spare time, let alone access to the equipment to do so). But, as you said, the hindsight gives a lot of valuable information to build on as well.

It's an idea I'm thinking of, but don't want to get ahead of myself either. My focus is getting my foot in the door and doing my training. If I have some time after BMQ to put something together, I'll do what I can. (And I will certainly have a discussion with my PAO)

Thank you again for the input.

Back