• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Cemetery Photo - ST STEPHEN, NB (Updated 12 Jun 11)

Seadog, thank you very much. Anything that helps narrow the search and locate the right cemetery is welcome information.

SeaDog said:
OK.  I figured the more background information we had on A.J. Fowlie, the easier it would be to narrow down the possible churchyards.  So far I've been able to drum up a few key documents.  The Commonwealth Graveyard Commission had his wife listed as Minnie Martin.  Using that I've managed to find their marriage certificate. They were married in York county (Fredericton) on the 15th of June 1892. His occupation was listed as Drill Instructor and he was born in Little Branch, NB (which is next to Fowlies Mill in Black River Bridge, NB).  He was a presbyterian and the son of Robert and Mary (hard to read the handwriting - looks like Mary). Minnie, on the otherhand, was a Roman Catholic and from Fredericton originally. They were both 29 at the time of their marriage. Next logical step is to start checking presbyterian churchyards.  If it is the A.J. Fowlie recorded as being buried in Glenelg - there is the distinct possibility that the church was converted into a United Church - more than a few presbyterian and methodist churches in that area were. The wife being from York county, does however open up the possibility that he is buried in the Fredericton/St. John area.  Quite the puzzle! I'll be home in NB on summer leave soon enough and may have to spend the odd lazy sunday making the rounds of some the churches to continue the elimination process.

I also tracked all of the above information and documents, and was pretty certain we'd find him buried in the Black River Bridge area; alas my relatives who live there have had no luck to date. Our last documentation suggested Saint John was a distinct possibility as well. During the time period in question, much migration and travel occured between Saint John and Mirimichi due to the lumber industry and the shipping industry. I wish you success during your vacation as I would love to see this gentleman located and recorded correctly!!

Vern

Thanks, Vern.  As a past student of history, a CF member and a (proud) Miramichier, I too would like to see Captain Fowlie located and recorded properly.  I think I may be one step closer as well - Just tracked down a copy of his actual death certificate on the Nova Scotia archives.  Identifies him as Alexander J. Fowlie - Captain RCR.  Right date of death and it gives his street address on Gottingen Street. A quick check of the Canada census for 1911 also has Minnie Fowler living at the same address.  It has the physicians report of cause of death and (most importantly) where the undertaker was taking him to buried:  Says he was to be returned to NB to be interned at a cemetery in Loggieville, NB.  Not there yet, but a little bit closer.

ArmyVern said:
I also tracked all of the above information and documents, and was pretty certain we'd find him buried in the Black River Bridge area; alas my relatives who live there have had no luck to date. Our last documentation suggested Saint John was a distinct possibility as well. During the time period in question, much migration and travel occured between Saint John and Mirimichi due to the lumber industry and the shipping industry. I wish you success during your vacation as I would love to see this gentleman located and recorded correctly!!

Vern

Which is near this place: http://www.miramichi.org/en/  ;)

Baden  Guy said:
Which is near this place: http://www.miramichi.org/en/  ;)

I know how to spell it, but am deployed right now so the internet takes 5 minutes to load a darn screen ... spell-checking/editing after the fact is not high on my list of things I wish to waste 5 minutes on right now!!  8)

I just sent an email off to my cousin in Loggieville asking them to recce out the cemetaries there. Knock, knock, knock.

ArmyVern said:
I just sent an email off to my cousin in Loggieville asking them to recce out the cemetaries there.

Thank you Vern, much appreciated.

Just a bit of an update.  I asked my sister in Miramichi to contact the Miramichi Genelogical Society, when it came to my attention they have compiled all of the burial records for the churches in the area.  Here is the response she emailed me this morning after contacting the society:

"Your man, Capt. AJ Fowlie, is located in St. Stephen's Community Cemetary in Black River. He is on Row 42 which is in the older part of the cemetary closer to the river than the church."

I realize that Vern already had someone check that cemetery - but everything I have dug up continues to indicate that is where he is buried.  I wonder if it is possible that the headstone is not readily visible or is in a state of disrepair (or even missing).  Afraid I will not be up in the area for a few weeks - I'm off to Viet Nam for some battlefield tours/R & R with the missus.  But will follow up with the MGS when I go to visit my family upon return in August.

Seadog, thank you for the update. It wouldn't be the first case of a missing or unreadable stone if that is what it turns out to be.

Michael

I'm looking for something to do this weekend.  I'll see if I can make it up there.  Taking a photo of the grave (if it's there) would be but one of many things I could do up there, Michael.  Besides, I'm on leave post-duty on Friday, so it would be a nice way to start off my vacation.

I'll let you know.

You're most welcome!  I have found where I think it is (via google maps), and if things go well, I'll be heading there this weekend.

I had this thread in my favorites list for a while now.
I'm just wondering if Capt. AJ Fowlie (RCR) headstone or
marker has been located or not.

57Chevy said:
I had this thread in my favorites list for a while now.
I'm just wondering if Capt. AJ Fowlie (RCR) headstone or
marker has been located or not.

http://regimentalrogue.com/rcr_great_war_cemeteries/rcr_gw_cem180.html]Black River Cemetery

rcr_gw_cem180_fowlie.jpg

I am very happy to see the completion of this outstanding project.
Regards  :salute:

57Chevy said:
I am very happy to see the completion of this outstanding project.
Regards  :salute:

So, the question now being:

Did you find it at Black River Cemetery in the town of St Stephen, NB  ---- OR
did you find it in St Stephen's Cemetery in the town of Black River, NB.

No wonder we NBers are easily confused.  ::)

Back