• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking the help of Combat Arms personnel

M

MarkR

Hello All. 

I'm seeking the help of Combat Arms personnel for research into user requirements for a soldier-portable UAV interface.

About Me:
My name is Capt Mark Rutley.  I'm a Biological Sciences officer currently posted to CFSU(E) Det Daws Hill in the UK to take a Masters degree in Ergonomics at Loughborough University.  I joined the CF in '99 as a DEO - pilot.  Piloting didn't work so well for me, so I decided to go Bio Science, seeing as science is where my interests lie anyway.  Normally I work at DRDC Toronto (the military counterpart is CFEME).  I'm at the stage where I'm now doing my MSc research project and wanted to do something relevant to the CF.  It turns out that Loughborough University is developing Micro Aerial Vehicles (MAVs) - the smallest and least developed class of UAV.  MAVs are considered single-soldier portable assets, generally less than 12 inches in any dimension.  These devices are intended to provide "over the next hill" or "over the next building" reconnaissance to dismounted soldiers.  My thesis project is the development of a user-centered control interface for a MAV based on the opinions of the target users - you folks.

Project Title:
Design, Rapid Prototyping and Evaluation of a Soldier-Portable, Mini Reconnaissance Vehicle Control Interface.

Purpose of Experiment:
The ultimate purpose of this study is to generate a user-centered, ergonomically intuitive design of the control interface for a simulated Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV) that is relevant to CF soldiers who may be using such a device in the future.

Types of Subject Requested:
Participants between 18 and 60 years of age, in the combat arms trades (infantry, armoured, artillery, and Combat Engineer), of any rank and of either gender are sought.  No UAV experience necessary - you must only have ideas on what you think such a device should be.

Procedures:
Participants will be asked to take part in an online "focus group" designed to explore your opinions of current micro reconnaissance devices.  The discussions will center around the control and use of such devices, and what soldiers need from such a device.  Mike has kindly agreed to allow the use of his website for this research so there will be no need to go to any other website then the one you already visit regularly.  Hopefully once enough participants have signed on, I will post a series of questions that I need answers to starting either Friday of this week or Monday.

Risks to Subject:
In this phase of the study, there are no risks to the participant that are above what is normally encountered in day-to-day life.

Benefits:
Because of rapidly increasing global interest in this area, this research will benefit the CF by providing guidance and information concerning soldier-portable micro-reconnaissance vehicles.  It will also provide an insight into soldier requirements and opinions for small-screen interfaces of these or any other device.  Military subjects that are recruited will benefit in gaining knowledge concerning what is likely to be a future tool that will be either directly available to CF soldiers within 15 to 20 years time (in some form), or be heavily deployed on any battlefield you may be operating in.  Finally, other societal groups who would have need of a small autonomous reconnaissance device (such as law enforcement, fire, and search and rescue personnel) will benefit from this research

Compensation:
Stress allowance will be provided in compliance with QR&O 205.48.

Point of Contact:
If you're interested in participating in this research, send me an email (markrutley -at- yahoo.ca) or post to this thread with enough information so that I can contact you.  I will send you the background information for this study, and a volunteer consent form that you will have to fill out and return to me via mail through CFB Trenton.

Thank you to all who participate
Mark

Mark,

Greetings from Victoria. Your father is very proud of your achievements. Interesting to read your post. Wish you all the best of luck with it. .... But stress compensation for playing with remote controlled do-dads? Really? I'll bet you can do a rather good cartoon about that one!

Rgds
WD1

I am intrested and emailed you at your Civ email. I can be contacted at cparnell@telus.net

Very interested. I am a corporal in the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. jmassecar@cogeco.ca

Sign me up coach!!!! I am presently employed at the Armd School, and we may be looking at something like this down the road, I'm sure, so I'd like to get a "leg up".

Contact me via PM and I'll give you my particulars, or contact me via the DIN (look on Global List..... there are  only 2 Luomala's.....I'm the Sgt, my wife is the MCpl)

Sounds like something that some of my peers may be interested in as well (well, the techno-nerds anyway.... the dinosaurs still go on about the good ol' days of Lynx recce and mud op's being the only way....)

Al

Don't forget us CSS Folk....
I can envision one of these MAV flying along, a mile or so, in front of a packet of veh, side-scanning for bad guys or IED's. Maybe the interface should be usable from inside a veh.... 
Cheers
AM

Yeah, i agree, CSS could use these things too.  However, I had to limit my study somewhat due to the fact that I have a whole 2 months to research, prototype, and test this thing.  Not a lot of time, so wanted to put in some focusing to ensure I could get through all three phases of my study.  Perhaps my predecesors down the road can push this out to other groups...  A good MSc project right there.

M

I dont know if this article is of interest but I submit it for your review. Good luck in your research.

fcrar.ucf.edu/papers/fp3_mrgtaw_ucf.pdf

http://www.nd.edu/~mav/links.htm

Thank you.  Definately useful.  A lot of this stuff I've pulled out of the web/library but there's a bunch of stuff I haven't seen yet.  The more the merrier!  Cheers!

Mark

Hi this week ive been in BFC Kingston for the Army Experiment 8C R&S (Reconnaissance and Surveillance) we tested the new BattleWeb 4.0 interface that someday gonna equip our combat vehicle when we will upgrade the radio system, we tested also the new turret and surveillance simulator for the Coyote, tested 2 doctrine for what is the most effective formation for recce squadron and some other thing. My main point is during that experiment i was assigned to fly and operate the payload of the mini-uav who gonna someday equip recce squadron. The mini-uav that the army is looking for is the Skylark mini-uav which is gonna be transportable with is ground command control by 2 person and launchable by hand. So i played during 1 week with two different interface ,(mainly because of computer problem hehe), so just PM and i will be very interested to give you a hand. Also during the experiment i was able to speak with some RCA guys who tested it and got their feed back on it. And here 2 link of what it look like.
(sorry for spelling error english not my first tongue).

http://www.defense-update.com/products/s/skylark1-uav.htm

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/skylark/Skylark.html

".. the dinosaurs still go on about the good ol' days of Lynx recce and mud op's being the only way...."

- Hey Al, have a bad day at the Center of Excellence?

-Place any of the  'Mud Recce' Lynx Sqns I have served in 'across the trace' from any of today's Coyote Sqns and the result would be burning wheeled vehs littering the manoeuver box.  It's the man, not just the machine, and men have to be TRAINED.  Over and over again.

- Been on an airfield socked in by a sandstorm.  Surv gear was useless. Had to go LP/Mk.I Eyeball.  Ask the MCpl you mentioned above about the sandstorms.

Tom

Hey RequiemVK,

You type with less spelling mistakes than most of us Anglos do!  Interested in your stuff.  I will PM.

Tom

Back