• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Segregation in Messes

Old EO Tech said:
Just don't leave your name plate sitting at the table when you are off for your break, or you might find you made an odd request to the PMC :p  Some traditions are still running strong :p

My DEU/mess kit always has a pen for that reason, and I distinctly remember holding onto the gavel for 2.5 hours because the PMC wouldn't make an announcement to ask for it back....  ;D

Mr. St-Cyr said:
Just put a small sign on a table that says ''Reserved for Officers / Senior NCO's''. I routinely eat and socialize with NCO's that I personally work with/know but sharing a table with junior ranks is where I draw the line. A lot of them have a habit of getting too familiar for some odd reason. I do not have that problem with NCO's at all; perhaps they know better. The familiarity breeds content for  and saps the chain of command.
If it's communal messing in the Jr Ranks mess I'm against having a reserved table sign...if you want that, take the time to walk to your own mess. Better yet build a mess hall for everyone with 3 separate entrances with a central kitchen/galley.

Get Nautical said:
If it's communal messing in the Jr Ranks mess I'm against having a reserved table sign...if you want that, take the time to walk to your own mess. Better yet build a mess hall for everyone with 3 separate entrances with a central kitchen/galley.

But here's the problem: on most Army bases now, officers and senior NCOs don't have their "own" eating mess anymore. Unless of course you want to buy sandwiches at the bar, or something. The downsizing and centralization in base food services that started about a decade ago has created the situation this thread is addressing.

Most bases I was at when I was still in, and the ones I go to now for work purposes, seem to get along fine with a smaller area set aside for Offrs/NCOs.

Back