• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/ And other Serious Mental Health Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's as bad as you say it is, they'll turn her down. Think about it, they won't give someone a weapons without making sure they are lucid, healthy and trustworthy. No I don't know for sure they'll turn her down, but I imagine a little common sense should validate what I say.

Hi, I have been seeing a psychiatrist for delusional thoughts of people following me. I was prescribed antipsychotic medicine for that. I didn't take the medication and want to know if it would be a problem with the medical part of the enrollment and if I took the pills back to the doctor and ask him for a letter that I haven't used the pills at all, would it be ok? I read you have to be off those pills for a year before applying. Can someone help, please?

So you thought people were following you.

You seen a doctor and were prescribed medication to help you stop believing people were following you.

You didn't take the medication.

You want to go back to the doctor who prescribed you the medication and get a letter saying you did not take the antipsychotic medication that he prescribed you.

You want to take that letter and apply for the military where you'll be using assault rifles, machineguns, hand grenades.

I'm pretty sure you can do a better job at trolling the recruiting threads than this. You need to come back with something more funny or more believable if you want laughs or want to cause shit.

I can see the letter now - "Pt X presented here complaining of paranoid delusions, specifically of being followed.  I prescribed them a course of (add your Rx) and now he's come back, saying he's been non-compliant due to him wanting to apply to the military.  The delusions, however, despite best intentions of all concerned, still continue to persist."

Me thinks that alone will have the PA/Snr Med Tech put a huge "Stop Drop" on your medical... :2c:

MM

I am not trying to be funny... I went to the doctor and received therapy through medical appointments and no longer think I am followed. The medications make you a zombie walking that's why I didn't take them.

Jesus Christ, I have no delusions and why would I need to take medication that is even blacklisted in the army enrollment...I am not followed by Santa's little helpers nor I am I crazy, I was just thinking at one point some people were going to harm me and its not something too crazy to think about it just wasn't justified in any way. In this world today a lot of people have the potential to be hurt by other people anywhere in random violence.

hacker202 said:
Hi, I have been seeing a psychiatrist for delusional thoughts of people following me. I was prescribed antipsychotic medicine for that. I didn't take the medication

Your words, don't get fuckin' mad at me.    ::)

I didn't take it simply because I don't think its needed since its not a bad episode of being crazy I had reasonable grounds to believe someone wanted to hurt me, simply...The drugs do more harm to you then if I was not to take them and to add to that doctor didn't want to prescribe me anything, I insisted to try it, I don't know why, and after I researched more about it, I changed my mind.Do you think I am really going to throw a grenade at someone in the army? I am a harmless person mostly and want to serve the country, get more organized and disciplined.

medicineman said:
I can see the letter now - "Pt X presented here complaining of paranoid delusions, specifically of being followed.  I prescribed them a course of (add your Rx) and now he's come back, saying he's been non-compliant due to him wanting to apply to the military.  The delusions, however, despite best intentions of all concerned, still continue to persist."

Me thinks that alone will have the PA/Snr Med Tech put a huge "Stop Drop" on your medical... :2c:

MM

Take a read of that.  Then take a look at MM's profile so you understand his background and knowledge. 

I am completely healthy, I said to the doc I want to try the pills myself, I just spit it out, then changed my own mind.He said the therapy sessions are sufficient enough and if they didn't work I should try the pills. I've been through 2 months of going there and think everything is ok. What if the psychiatrist has a letter I am not delusional? Is it something that is going to follow me until I die, like a suicide attempt? I don't understand what's wrong with thinking someone wants to hurt you, a specific group of people not everyone or some elfs or something. I have no history of anger management problems, try to stay out of trouble generally.

hacker202 said:
Jesus Christ, I have no delusions and why would I need to take medication that is even blacklisted in the army enrollment...I am not followed by Santa's little helpers nor I am I crazy, I was just thinking at one point some people were going to harm me and its not something too crazy to think about it just wasn't justified in any way. In this world today a lot of people have the potential to be hurt by other people anywhere in random violence.

What EITS said.  BTW, I wasn't trying to be funny - I'm pretty sure, by what you wrote at the beginning, that's how the letter from the attending psychiatrist would read.

Many people are a bit worried about things in the world today...however they don't let it bug them to the point of going to see a psychiatrist.  If thoughts like that are starting to control your life, you have a problem that needs to be sorted out.  There are times when a psychiatrist/psychologist/primary care clinician needs to sort out if the problem is something probable/believable vs overblown anxiety vs early psychosis.  I'm a security conscious person - I'm aware of my surroundings, take combatives classes for fitness and self defense, lock my doors at night, watch where I'm driving or walking, etc - it doesn't make me pathologically paranoid though.  I wouldn't be able to leave my house where I live if I were.  Worrying that anyone around you seen or unseen might jump you or "thinking at some point some people were going to harm me" in the general scheme of things, i e - you're not in Wit Sec for witnessing a Mob hit or something along those lines where it's a real probability vs possibility, really isn't all that normal.  A person I knew wouldn't go wait for a bus to go to work if there were storm clouds around - someone who knew someone she knew was hit by lightning.  She put 2 and 2 together and got 22 instead of 4, thinking it was a probable event instead of a possible event.  She'd actually call in sick instead of taking the bus to work in that kind of weather.  Needless to say, she had issues...

The medication that is blacklisted (as you put it) in Army enrollment isn't blacklisted because it's illegal - it's blacklisted because people that are prescribed it are taking it for a reason, one that is generally considered incompatible with military service.  Other than the unwanted effects, did the stuff work for you?  Anything positive come out of it?

I guess the one thing I do want to say to anyone out there reading this is this - if you have a mental health problem, get it dealt with, whether or not you want to join the military.  If you have a condition that precludes you from joining, that's unfortunate, but it shouldn't stop you from getting treatment, be it pharmaceutical, psychotherapy or both.  Thinking that you've got to stop your medication so you can get in?  Don't without clear direction from the person prescribing it - when people start feeling better, they sometimes don't realize they still need the stuff for awhile or ever even and want off of it - if I had a dime for every person that has told me "I don't like taking pills", I'd be a multigazillionaire.  Half the time, the reason they don't want to be taking them is because then they'd have to admit there is something wrong with them.  Admit there is a problem and then own it so it doesn't own you.

Lastly, just because you really really want to get into the CF doesn't mean you should - there are entry standards for a reason.  I'll say it again - it's not personal, it's business.  This is a physically and mentally demanding line of work, so those standards are in place to make sure you yourself, as well as all around you, aren't placed  in any more risk than is already inherent to the job.

Sorry for the rant.

MM

As a matter of fact, I don't have uncontrollable psychosis with unprovoked anxiety. My issues have grounds to be believable and probable, the psychiatrist asked me the first time I seen him if its an ongoing issue with someone. People see a psychiatrist for a bunch of different issues, not only regarding being crazy but rather some things you are facing like break up of your parents. My father was telling me to see the doctor and in regards to that matter I went and seen him because I wanted someone to hear my problems and reason on what is happening. After clearing this up with the doctor, I don't see how that disqualifies me from enrolling in the forces since its not some crazy psychosis like you earlier said and I don't pose any threat to people around me in any situation at any time. Just doesn't settle in my mind what you are telling me because I am completely normal and had an issue I wanted to talk to with someone as an advise from my dad.

ObedientiaZelum said:
crap I'll bite, who did you think was after you?
I would rather keep it to myself since its not something funny or interesting to someone else

hacker202 said:
I would rather keep it to myself since its not something funny or interesting to someone else

Sounds like a case of those people on YouTube that post videos about being a victim of "Gang Stalking" by the RCMP and secret gov't orgs just because the same colour, make, model car drives by their house everyday at the same time (or a helicopter flew overhead). You just woke up one day and thought: "Someone is following me and out to get me."

I'm no expert but it seems like paranoid delusions to me, and the worst part is people with paranoid delusions don't try to get out of being diagnosed or on meds unless they have an ulterior motive. In one case I've dealt with, we had one such try to have his diagnosis and meds reversed so he could join CBSA - it was later found out in some disturbing social media posts that his motive was to sabotage "government mind control systems from the inside."

Normally, people don't directly go for a Psychiatrist about these things. Generally a regular healthy citizen would talk to family, consult with local law enforcement and seek out a psychologist counsellor/therapist.

But, if it is just a big misunderstanding, why not just do the time on the meds and therapy or get a second opinion? Pulling yourself off meds without consultation of a medical professional is not going to work in your favour. Non-compliance is the worst thing you can do to yourself.

I've used the search for multiple different phrasings and I can't find anything.

I'm 18 now, merit listed, and waiting for my call.

I've heard there was a psychological test or something either before or during BMQ.

A month after my 13th birthday my mum died and I started self-harming by cutting. I've long stopped by now but I have a decent amount of scars on my right shoulder and left forearm that I couldn't talk my way out of it if I tried. Will this be an issue? I don't want the Forces thinking I can't handle stress. I was 13 and upset and stupid, but that was 5.5 years ago. Will this be an issue? I just don't want something like this to ruin my chances of success.

Thanks for the help.

SMG said:
I've heard there was a psychological test or something either before or during BMQ.

Who'd you hear that from?

Never heard of it.  Anything like that should be done during your recruiting process, not after it.  IIRC, I was interviewed by a Log O.  ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back