• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senior promotions, appointments and retirements (merged)

Ex-Dragoon:  Oops!  Thanks.  See Update at post.

Mark
Ottawa

VAdm McFadden's rise through the ranks from 04-05 as Capt[N] to now takes my breath away.  The man is jet propelled. 

Seeing Capt[N] Truelove moving up too made me blink.  Seems like yesterday that he was the XO on Preserver.  I feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up after years asleep and seeing all the changes.

Toronto_NCO said:
There are still a few spots to be filled (announced) and people that have yet to be given a new posn....mainly:
LGen Gauthier's new job...
The new DComd LFCA.....
and I guess the CLS is staying....for now?

And BGen Jaeger's new post...

Jungle drums suggest CLS is good for another year before moving elsewhere; and I suspect DComd LFCA will be named when the time is right (and the selected individual is ready).

A bit of a summary from CP

Major changes coming in top ranks of the Canadian military
20 hours ago
Article Link

OTTAWA — There will be a major shakeup in the top ranks of the Canadian military over the next few months as most of the senior commanders are replaced.

The Canadian Forces Expeditionary Command, which oversees the war in Afghanistan, the air force, the navy and the military command responsible for the defence of Canada will all get new leaders.

The only the commanders of the army and the special forces are staying stay in place.

The changes will come throughout 2009.

Most of the changes are due to retirements, but it is unclear why Lt.-Gen. Michel Gauthier, who has directed the Kandahar deployment since 2006, is being replaced.

Maj-.Gen. Marc Lessard, who recently returned after commanding all NATO troops in southern Afghanistan, will be promoted to succeed Gauthier.

Lt.-Gen. Angus Watt is retiring as chief of the air staff after less than two years in the job.

He will be replaced by Maj.-Gen. Andre Deschamps.

The commander of the navy, Vice-Admiral Drew Robertson, is also leaving the Forces, to be replaced by Rear-Admiral Dean McFadden.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay, in announcing the shakeup, says there is no doubt in his mind that the new leaders will rise to the challenges that lie ahead.

Some of the changes will see battle-tested commanders, such as Brig.-Gen. David Fraser and Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, moved to senior staff positions to help shape the future of the army.

Like Lessard, Fraser served as NATO's top soldier in Afghanistan's regional command south.

Thompson, the current commander of Canadian troops in Kandahar, will become the director of land staff in Ottawa.

Gen. Walter Natyncyzk, chief of the defence staff, said the new crop of officers bring a wealth of experience to their jobs.
More on link

GAP said:
Like Lessard, Fraser served as NATO's top soldier in Afghanistan's regional command south.

Thompson, the current commander of Canadian troops in Kandahar, will become the director of land staff in Ottawa.

Correction: Fraser commanded Canadian and coalition troops in the Canadian Area of Operations (Kandahar Province), as Thompson currently is; he was never Commander of Regional Command (South), like Lessard.

Actually he did command RC(S) the system changed it to a two star billet when he handed over to the Dutch.

jollyjacktar said:
Seeing Capt[N] Truelove moving up too made me blink.  Seems like yesterday that he was the XO on Preserver.   I feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up after years asleep and seeing all the changes.

I remember him as a Subbie on the AthaB in the late 80's.  He's moving, but there are faster rising stars.

Occam said:
I remember him as a Subbie on the AthaB in the late 80's.  He's moving, but there are faster rising stars.

Funny.. my old man knows Vice-Admiral Drew Robertson as a Subbie too. Let's say I have a story or two I won't be telling.

Chanada said:
Correction: Fraser commanded Canadian and coalition troops in the Canadian Area of Operations (Kandahar Province), as Thompson currently is; he was never Commander of Regional Command (South), like Lessard.
Actually he did command RC(S) the system changed it to a two star billet when he handed over to the Dutch.
Confirmed; thank you for the correction.  :)

Few familiar names there

VAdm Bruce Donaldson was on a number of MARS courses with me-good guy for a swabbie;

MGen Daniel Benjamin was my roommate way back when we were rooks at RMC;

MGen Mark McQuillan was also a classmate and we did a number of Logistics courses together at the School, excellent choice to replace Benjamin;

I worked for BGen Pitre a couple of weeks on a aborted tasking at CFOCS, he was a Capt Coy 2i/c,  seemed like a good guy AWC as I recall;

I was in MGen  Ian Poulters wedding party, in fact provided the swords for it out of my QM. Crazy guy but well deserving of the honour.

Played trivia with Comdr R MacIssac for about two years every Monday night at an Orleans pub, knew him at RMC as a first year when he was a holy terror of a fourth year. Great guitar player. He also was directly responsible for getting me into the Army as I was working for him in the Naden pay office reconsiling cheques (fun job-not) when he asked me what I wanted to do in the Log Branch. I said I did not give a hoot as long as I was not Navy. I was posted to 3 PPCLI in Work Point Barracks the next day which was Pearl Harbour Day 1981 Thanks Roger, though I wondered what I had done when Jan rolled around and I was leaving for Rapier Thrust 82 and all the MARS bars I had been with before CTing on reclass were leaving for Hawaii!!!!!!

Knew a handful of other on pastings or courses or at RMC.

a78jumper said:
I was in MGen  Ian Poulters wedding party, in fact provided the swords for it out of my QM. Crazy guy but well deserving of the honour.

Still crazy (in good ways); not still married.  I'm not sure whether the posting to ADM(Mat) is the CLS' idea of a reward or a punishment...

I study Military politics for fun - and have followed the General ranking biographical background in previous job postings for the general ranking officers of the CF for the past 10 years.

General senior promotions and appointments:

First I want to make a note on General Natynczyk's recent appointment and promotion to CDS:
It was a close call between Gen Natynczyk and L-Gen Leslie. Both gentlemen are intelligent and experienced and have taken up major Land force and NDHQ jobs at NDHQ.

L-Gen Andrew B. Leslie, CMM, OMM, MSC, MSM, CD, CUSLM (Commander of the US Legion of Military Merit) :
                    - 2000 he was appointed Commander J6 of the Canadian Forces, responsible for commanding the communications field groups and regiments, the signals and electronic intelligence functions and supporting the various computer networks used by the Forces.
                    - 2002 he became the Commander Land Force Central Area, responsible for one regular and three reserve Brigades as well as several bases and training establishments. (This is a major appointment in being a candidate for the appointment of Assistant Chief of Land Staff)
                    - 2003 Promoted to M-Gen and appointed Commander Task Force Kabul and Deputy Commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan.
                    - 2003 appointed Assistant Chief of Land Staff (This is a major appointment in being a candidate for the appointment of Chief of Land Staff
                    - 2004 appointed Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System while also being a full time PhD student at RMC - most likely in Defense intelligence or military strategic planning
                    - 2005 Appointed Director General - Strategic Planning (This is a very major and important appointment at NDHQ)
                    - 2006 Promoted and appointed Chief of Land Staff - replacing L-Gen Marc Caron - (This was an appropriate decision seeing that he had filled the appointment of Assistant chief of Land staff - and for the past 3 or 4 Chief of land staffs all of them had been previous Assistant chief of land staff before being promoted to this position.
                    - I predict in 2010 L-Gen Leslie will be appointed to become the Vice Chief of defense Staff when V-Adm Rouleau Retires. This is because he would have filled in the post of Chief of Land Staff for about 4 years which is an automatic change of command to being replaced and being appointed to VCDS. Remember V-Adm Ron Buck - the previous Chief of Maritime Staff and Vice Adm Madison. Also I am not sure that L-Gen Leslie will have the opportunity to become the CDS due to the unpredictability of the appointment requirements seeing that this post is selected by the Prime Minister.  So his best luck is to get the VCDS. The VCDS is the 2nd top position in the military - However it serves as a "Senior Floating Position" Like at the time Deputy chief of defense staff -----where you don't really need to be a previous elemental chief to take that post. However most of the time you do require that post to become a VCDS or the CDS. That is why I was confused when Gen Natynczyk was appointed to become the VCDS - because he has never commanded a Canadian Brigade or contingent at NDHQ Level. Like Commander Land force central area at B-Gen level or Assistant Chief of Land staff at M-Gen Level. -However he has filled in senior M-Gen positions...like Commander of Land Force Doctrine and Training System and Chief of Transformation and most notably Deputy Commanding General, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas and deployed with III Corps to Baghdad, Iraq in 2004 serving first as the Deputy Director of Strategy, Policy and Plans and subsequently as the Deputy Commanding General of the Multi-National Corps (which would be equivalent to an Army Commander seeing that the US forces are way bigger then ours.)   

Gen Walter J. Natynczyk CMM, MSC, CD, OUSLM (Officer of the US Leigon of Military Merit):
                    - 2002 - Appointed to Deputy Commanding General, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas

- 2004 - Appointed to Deputy Director of Strategy, Policy and Plans and subsequently as the Deputy Commanding General of the Multi-National Corps.

- 2005 Promoted to M-Gen and Appointed Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System

- 2006 Appointed Chief of Transformation (Major position to becoming VCDS this position is = to Director General - Strategic Planning)

- 2007 Promoted to L-Gen and appointed Vice Chief of Defense Staff (VCDS)

-2008 Promoted to Gen

I predict in 2011 Gen Natynczyk will retire seeing that this appointed position is a 3 year term on avg and can be asked to stay for an additional year if the minister needs time finding the suitable replacement. If this happens L-Gen Leslie may have an opportunity to serve in the (4th year) of Natynczyk’s term if he retires if L-Gen Leslie assumes VCDS in 2010. Likewise when L-Gen Leslie Is replaced for Chief of Land staff (CLS) only the Previous assistant chief of Land staff(on avg this is a 2 year posiiton) will have an opertunity to become a candidate for that positon. and they include:

1- L-Gen Lessard (he was Assistant chief of Land Staff in 2005)
2. M-Gen Thibult (he was Assistant Chief of Land Staff in 2007)
3. M-Gen Howard (is the Assistant Chief of Land Staff in 2009)

Anyways moving on understanding the 2009 Appointments

Major Senior Military officer Appointments for 2009

Chief of Maritime Staff
•  Vice Adm. P.D. McFadden will be appointed Chief of the Maritime Staff at National
  Defense Headquarters (NDHQ), in Ottawa, replacing Vice Adm. D.W. Robertson ...;

This is a good choice seeing that he will be the current senior serving maritime force personal. Also he has been the Commander of Maritime Force Atlantic which is above or equal to an assistant chief of maritime Staff. Likewise, he has also served as the Commander of Canada Command which is usually held by either a Navy admiral or Air general seeing that the Commander of Expeditionary force Command is usually held by an Army general. This position was given to him also seeing that R-Adm Pile and R-Adm Madison are on the verge of retiring as well and they have only recently become Commanders of Maritime force Pacific and Atlantic. - Usually a R-Adm - commander of either maritime pacific or Atlantic have an opportunity to become the CMS. Not the Assistant chief of Maritime staff seeing in this case its more of an administrative assistant level rather then commanding level.

Chief of Air Staff
•  Maj.-Gen. J.P.A. Deschamps will be promoted Lt.-Gen (Acting while so employed)
  and appointed Chief of the Air Staff at NDHQ ... replacing Lt.-Gen W.A. Watt ... ;

This is also a good choice because Deschampes is a very decorated Air General who has allot of experience:
He was deployed to the Gulf Region on OP ATHENA as the Commander of the Theatre Support Element (TSE) - Camp Mirage. Following his return, he was posted to Trenton as the new Wing Commander of 8 Wing/CFB Trenton on 5 July 2004(This is a major position in the air staff for the appointment to Assistant Chief of Air Staff).

On 11 April 2006, he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and was appointed Chief of Staff - Operations, Canadian Expeditionary Force Command in Ottawa on 1 May 2006. (Again this is a major position in NDHQ).

In June 2008, he was promoted to his current rank and appointed Assistant Chief of the Air Staff.

Major-General Deschamps has served in three of the five Air Force Commands, accumulating approximately 7,500 flying hours.

Commander of Canada Command
•  Rear Adm. A.B. Donaldson will be promoted Vice Adm. and appointed Commander
  Canada Command in Ottawa, replacing Vice Adm. P.D. McFadden;

Rear Admiral Bruce Donaldson was appointed Director General - Strategic Joint Staff in June of 2007 (this again is a major position at NDHQ). in 2005 he spent two years as Commander of Maritime force Pacific(this again is a major position to be selected as Chief of maritime staff). So this new appointment would be almost equal to it.

Commander of Canadian Expeditionary Force Command
•  Maj.-Gen. J.G.M. Lessard will be promoted Lt.-Gen and appointed  Commander  Canadian Expeditionary Force Command, in Ottawa, replacing Lt.-Gen J.C.M. Gauthier;

L-Gen Gauthier has been in this position for 4 years and it is time for an automatic change of command. Therefore, this position is pretty much open to someone who is part of the Land forces who has been in at least some sort of Joint Task force Afghanistan appointment who is currently a M-Gen.

This is a good choice seeing that he is in a very senior command appointment relating to an Expeditionary posting. Also he is the most senior M-Gen in the Land forces seeing that he has also already served in 205 as the Assistant chief of Land staff.

Chief of Land Staff
L-Gen Leslie will most likely have to give up his command in 2010 since it will be 4 years in this post (usually a 3 year term) and become the VCDS in 2010 (MOST LIKELY). Likewise, the following Land force Generals are good Candidates for the position: In order or seniority

MAJOR-GENERAL LESSARD J., CMM, MSC, CD - COMMANDER CANADIAN EXPIDITIONARY FORCE COMMAND

MAJOR-GENERAL BEARE S., CMM, MSM, CD - CHIEF OF FORCE DEVELOPMENT

MAJOR-GENERAL DEVLIN P., CMM, MSC, CD - DEPUTY COMMANDER EXPIDITIONARY FORCE COMMAND

MAJOR-GENERAL BENJAMIN D., CMM, CD - COMMANDER CANADIAN OPERATIONAL SUPPORT COMMAND

MAJOR-GENERAL HAINSE M. , CMM, CD - COMMANDER LAND FORCE DOCTRINE AND TRAINING SYSTEM

MAJOR-GENERAL THIBAULT G., CMM, CD - ASSISTANT CHIEF OF THE LAND STAFF - 2007

MAJOR-GENERAL HOWARD A., CMM, CD - ASSISTANT CHIEF OF LAND STAFF - 2009

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3310

Lots of shuffling of the senior officers happening; see link for the full report.  A few highlights (2* and above):

Vice-Admiral A.B. Donaldson will be appointed Vice Chief of the Defence Staff at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing Vice-Admiral J.A.D. Rouleau;

Vice-Admiral J.A.D. Rouleau will be appointed Canadian military representative to the NATO in Brussels, replacing Lt.-Gen. C.J.R. Davis, who will be retiring;

Maj.-Gen. P.J. Devlin will be promoted to Lt.-Gen. and appointed Chief of the Land Staff at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Lt.-Gen. A.B. Leslie whose next appointment will be announced at a later date;

Maj.-Gen. W. Semianiw will be promoted to Lt.-Gen. and appointed Commander Canada Command in Ottawa, replacing Vice-Admiral A.B. Donaldson;

Maj.-Gen. S.A. Beare will be appointed Deputy Commander – NATO Training Mission- Afghanistan (NTM-A) International Security Assistance Force HQ in Afghanistan, replacing Maj.-Gen. M.J. Ward;

Rear Admiral N.S. Greenwood will be appointed Commander Joint Task Force Pacific and Commander Maritime Forces Pacific in Esquimalt, replacing Rear Admiral T.H.W. Pile, who will be retiring;

Maj.-Gen. J.M.M. Hainse will be appointed Deputy Director General International Security Policy at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore D.C. Gardam;

Rear Admiral P.A. Maddison will be appointed  Assistant Chief of the Maritime Staff at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Rear Admiral N.S. Greenwood;

Maj.-Gen. M.J. Ward will be appointed Commander Canadian Defence Academy in Kingston, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.P.Y.D. Gosselin;

Commodore D.C. Gardam will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic and Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic in Halifax, replacing Rear Admiral P.A. Maddison;

Commodore R.W. Greenwood will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed commander Canadian Defence Liaison Staff (Washington), replacing Maj.-Gen. D.W. Langton, who will be retiring;

Brig.-Gen. J.R.M.G. Laroche will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System Headquarters in Kingston, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.M.M. Hainse;

Commodore M.F.R. Lloyd will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief of Force Development at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. S.A. Beare;

Brig.-Gen. J.A.J. Parent will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. P.J. Devlin;

Brig.-Gen. J.M.C. Rousseau will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Chief of Defence Intelligence at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. M.G. MacDonald, who will be retiring;

Commodore A.M. Smith will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief of Military Personnel at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. W. Semianiw;

Adding to what dapaterson posted....

News Room
Minister Of National Defence Announces Canadian Forces Senior Promotions And Appointments
NR - 10.021 - March 24, 2010

OTTAWA –The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, is pleased to announce the senior Canadian Forces (CF) promotions and appointments for 2010. These officers lead the CF in defending Canada’s values, interests and sovereignty at home and abroad.

“The men and women of the Canadian Forces are performing at a very demanding tempo and strong leadership is essential for our continued success,” said Minister MacKay. “I firmly believe that these General Officers and Flag Officers, with their knowledge, experience and skills will rise to the challenges that lie ahead of them.”

“I have trust and confidence that these men and women possess the critical leadership attributes to assume these key appointments and command positions both in Canada and internationally,” said General Walter Natyncyzk, Chief of the Defence Staff. “I know these senior officers, and I am confident in their ability to excel in leading the men and women under their command.

The following promotions and appointments for Regular Force senior officers will take place in 2010:

■Vice-Admiral A.B. Donaldson will be appointed Vice Chief of the Defence Staff at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing Vice-Admiral J.A.D. Rouleau;
■Vice-Admiral J.A.D. Rouleau will be appointed Canadian military representative to the NATO in Brussels, replacing Lt.-Gen. C.J.R. Davis, who will be retiring;
■Maj.-Gen. P.J. Devlin will be promoted to Lt.-Gen. and appointed Chief of the Land Staff at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Lt.-Gen. A.B. Leslie whose next appointment will be announced at a later date;
■Maj.-Gen. W. Semianiw will be promoted to Lt.-Gen. and appointed Commander Canada Command in Ottawa, replacing Vice-Admiral A.B. Donaldson;
■Maj.-Gen. S.A. Beare will be appointed Deputy Commander – NATO Training Mission- Afghanistan (NTM-A) International Security Assistance Force HQ in Afghanistan, replacing Maj.-Gen. M.J. Ward;
■Rear Admiral N.S. Greenwood will be appointed Commander Joint Task Force Pacific and Commander Maritime Forces Pacific in Esquimalt, replacing Rear Admiral T.H.W. Pile, who will be retiring;
■Maj.-Gen. J.M.M. Hainse will be appointed Deputy Director General International Security Policy at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore D.C. Gardam;
■Rear Admiral P.A. Maddison will be appointed  Assistant Chief of the Maritime Staff at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Rear Admiral N.S. Greenwood;
■Maj.-Gen. M.J. Ward will be appointed Commander Canadian Defence Academy in Kingston, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.P.Y.D. Gosselin;
■Commodore D.C. Gardam will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic and Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic in Halifax, replacing Rear Admiral P.A. Maddison;
■Commodore R.W. Greenwood will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed commander Canadian Defence Liaison Staff (Washington), replacing Maj.-Gen. D.W. Langton, who will be retiring;
■Brig.-Gen. J.R.M.G. Laroche will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System Headquarters in Kingston, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.M.M. Hainse;
■Commodore M.F.R. Lloyd will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief of Force Development at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. S.A. Beare;
■Brig.-Gen. J.A.J. Parent will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. P.J. Devlin;
■Brig.-Gen. J.M.C. Rousseau will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. and appointed Chief of Defence Intelligence at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. M.G. MacDonald, who will be retiring;
■Commodore A.M. Smith will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief of Military Personnel at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. W. Semianiw;
■Brig.-Gen. R.V. Blanchette will be appointed Director General Assistant Deputy Minister (Public Affairs) at NDHQ Ottawa;
■Brig.-Gen. S. Bowes will be appointed Commander Land Force Atlantic Area Halifax, replacing Brig.-Gen. A.T. Stack;
■Brig.-Gen. J.A.G. Champagne will be appointed Deputy Commander Canada Command Headquarters in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.P.P.J. Lacroix, who will be retiring;
■Commodore J.E.T.P. Ellis will be appointed Commander Canadian Fleet Pacific in Esquimalt, replacing Commodore M.F.R. Lloyd;
■Commodore P.T.E. Finn will be appointed Director General Maritime Equipment Program Management at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore R.W. Greenwood;
■Commodore L.M. Hickey will be appointed Commander Canadian Fleet Atlantic in Halifax, replacing Commodore M.A.G. Norman;
■Brig.-Gen. H.F. Jaeger will be appointed Director General Reserves and Cadets at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore J.R. MacIsaac, who will be retiring;
■Brig.-Gen. M.P. Jorgensen will be appointed Deputy J5, Joint Force Command (JFC) HQ Brunssum, the Netherlands;
■A/Brig.-Gen. C.R. King will be promoted to Brig.-Gen and appointed Director General Operations, Strategic Joint Staff at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. R.V. Blanchette;
■Brig.-Gen. J.C. Madower will be appointed Assistant Chief Military Personnel at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore A.M. Smith;
■Brig.-Gen. E.N. Matern will be appointed Chief of Staff (Operations) Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.A.J. Parent;
■A/Brig.-Gen. J.B.D. Menard was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and will be appointed Commander Land Force Quebec Area in Montreal, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.R.M.G. Laroche;
■Brig.-Gen. D.B. Millar will be appointed Director of Operations, Defence/International Security, Foreign and Defence Policy Secretariat at the Pricy Council Office in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.M.C. Rousseau;
■Brig.-Gen. D.G. Neasmith will be appointed to the Combined Security Transition Command Assistant Commanding General for Afghan national army development in Afghanistan, replacing Brig.-Gen. P.F. Wynnyk;
■Commodore M.A.G. Norman will be appointed Director General Maritime Force Development at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore J.E.T.P. Ellis;
■Acting Brig.-Gen. J.G.E. Tremblay was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Deputy Commanding General (US) I Corps in Fort Lewis, Washington;
■Brig.-Gen. J.H. Vance will be appointed Director General Land Capability Development at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.R.A. Tremblay;
■Brig.-Gen. J.Y.R.A. Viens will be appointed Director General Military Careers at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.C. Madower;
■Brig.-Gen. C.T. Whitecross will be appointed International Security Assistance Force Deputy Chief of Staff Communication in Afghanistan;
■Commodore K.E. Williams will be appointed Commander Canadian Defence Liaison Staff (London, England), replacing Maj.-Gen. J.D.A. Hincke, who will be retiring;
■Brig.-Gen. P.F. Wynnyk will be appointed Commander Land Force Western Area in Edmonton, replacing Brig.-Gen. M.P. Jorgensen;
■Capt. (Navy) M.S. Adamson will be promoted to Commodore and appointed Project Manager Canadian Surface Combatant at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore P.T.E. Finn;
■Capt. (Navy) B.W. Belliveau will be promoted to Commodore (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Chief of Staff Operations Maritime Component Command (MCC) in Northwood, United Kingdom;
■Col. J.C. Coates will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander CONUS NORAD in Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.Y.R.A.Viens;
■Col. K.A. Corbould will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commander 10 Mountain Division HQ in Afghanistan;
■Col. M.D. Day was promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and remains Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command in Ottawa;
■Col. J.J.R.G. Hamel will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Commander Joint Task Force North in Yellowknife, replacing Brig.-Gen. D.B. Millar;
■Col. M.J. Hood will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Director General Air Force Development at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. D.A. Davies, who will be retiring;
■Col. J.C.G. Juneau will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General XVIII Airborne Corps in Fort Bragg, California, replacing Brig.-Gen. E.N. Matern
■Col. F.A. Lewis will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Commander Land Force Central Area in Toronto, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.G.J.C. Collin;
■Col. D.J. Milner will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Commander Joint Task Force in Afghanistan replacing Brig.-Gen. J.B.D. Menard;
■Col. L.N. Russell will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Director General Air Personnel at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. T.F.J. Leversedge, who will be retiring;
■Capt. (Navy) D.L. Sing will be promoted Commodore (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Naval Personnel at NDHQ Ottawa, replacing Commodore L.M. Hickey;
■Col. J.P.J. St-Amand was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed J5 Director Strategic Plans in Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) HQ, Mons Casteau, Belgium; and
■Col. C.C Thurrott will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander and Chief of Operations and Plans Canadian Operations Support Command in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. C.T. Whitecross.
After distinguished service to the CF and Canada, the following senior officers will complete their careers and retire from the CF Regular Force in 2010:

■Lt.-Gen. C.J.R. Davis;
■Maj.-Gen. J.D.A. Hincke;
■Maj.-Gen. D.W. Langton;
■Maj.-Gen. M.G. MacDonald;
■Rear Admiral T.H.W. Pile;
■Brig.-Gen. D.A. Davies;
■Brig.-Gen. D.C Kettle;
■Brig.-Gen. J.P.P.J. Lacroix;
■Brig.-Gen. T.F.J. Leversedge;
■Brig.-Gen. J.J. Selbie;
■Brig.-Gen. C.S. Sullivan; and
■Brig.-Gen. K.W. Watkin.
- 30 -

For more information on senior appointments at National Defence, please visit: www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/index-eng.asp.

....announced by DND:

"The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced the following Canadian Forces (CF) senior promotions and appointments for Regular Force senior officers:

* Maj.-Gen. R.P.F. Bertrand will be appointed Director General Financial Management, Assistant Deputy Minister Finance and Corporate Services at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing A/BGen J.G.C.Y. Rochette who will be retiring;
    * Maj.-Gen. J.M.M. Hainse will be appointed Chief of Programme at NDHQ, Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. R.P.F. Bertrand;
    * Brig.-Gen. J.G.J.C. Collin will be appointed Chief of Staff Canada Command in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. G.C.P. Matte, who will be retiring;
    * Brig.-Gen. J.B.D. Ménard will be appointed Project Leader Military Personnel Management Capability Transformation (MPMCT) at NDHQ in Ottawa;
    * Commodore M.A.G. Norman will be appointed Navy representative to the Canadian Forces Transformation Team at NDHQ in Ottawa;
    * Brig.-Gen. D.W. Thompson will be appointed Deputy Director General International Security Policy at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Rear Admiral D.C. Gardam;
    * Brig.-Gen. J.R.A. Tremblay will be appointed Commander Land Force Quebec Area Montreal, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.R.M.G. Laroche;
    * Col. F.G. Bigelow will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Air Force Representative to the Canadian Forces Transformation Team at NDHQ Ottawa;
    * Col. M.R. Dabros will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Land Staff at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. D.W. Thompson;
    * Capt. (Navy) J.F. Newton will be promoted to Commodore (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Navy Personnel at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore L.M. Hickey; and
    * Capt. (Navy) D.L. Sing will be promoted to Commodore (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Maritime Force Development at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore J.E.T.P. Ellis.

After distinguished service to the Canadian Forces and Canada, the following senior officers will complete their careers and retire from the Regular Force in 2010:

* Maj.-Gen. J.P.Y.D.Gosselin; and
    * Brig.-Gen. G.C.P. Matte."

Congrats to Capt Newton. I"ve work with him before. Good guy for the job I say. Have fun in Ottawa.

Regards,
TN2IC

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3716

The following promotions and appointments for Canadian Forces senior officers will take place in 2011:

* Commodore J.J. Bennett will be promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Chief Reserves and Cadets at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen Tabbernor who will be retiring after 43 years of distinguished service to the CF;

* Brig.-Gen. M.D. Day will be promoted to Maj.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General Army – Combined Security Transition Command/NATO Training Mission HQ in Kabul, Afghanistan;

* Brig.-Gen. H.F. Jaeger was seconded to Veterans Affairs Canada, in Ottawa;

* Brig.-Gen. J.G. Milne will be appointed Director General Reserves and Cadets at NDHQ, in  Ottawa;

* Brig.-Gen. D.W. Thompson will be appointed Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. M.D. Day;

* Brig.-Gen. K.L. Woiden will be appointed Combined Security Transition Command Assistant Commanding General for Afghan national army development in Afghanistan, replacing Brig.-Gen. D.G. Neasmith;

* Acting Brig.-Gen. K.A. Corbould was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director Future Plans Regional Command (South) HQ – Joint Task Force in Afghanistan;

* Acting Brig.-Gen. M.R. Dabros was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director General Land Staff at NDHQ, in Ottawa;

* Acting Brig.-Gen. J.C.G. Juneau was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Deputy Commanding 18 AB Corps (U.S. Army) in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, United States of America;

* Acting Brig.-Gen. S.J. Kummel was promoted to Brig.-Gen.  and remains as Director General Plans – Strategic Joint Staff at NDHQ, in Ottawa;

* Col. P.J. Bury will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Land Force Western Area in Edmonton, replacing Brig.-Gen. K.L. Woiden;

* Commodore D.W. Craig was promoted to his current rank and appointed Commander Naval Reserve, in Québec City, replacing Commodore J. Bennett;

* Col. J.M. Lanthier will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General (U.S.) I Corps in Fort Lewis, Washington, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.G.E. Tremblay;

* Col. K.D. McQuillan was promoted to Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Deputy Commanding General for Coalition/Effects with U.S. First Cavalry Divisions Regional Command (East) Afghanistan;

* Col. T.E. Putt will be promoted to Brig.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System, in Kingston, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.G. Milne

Acting Brig.-Gen. M.R. Dabros was promoted to Brig.-Gen. and remains as Director General Land Staff at NDHQ, in Ottawa;

G2G -- I assume there are only so many Dabros' in the CF.  Is this the Dabros I am thinking of?  If so, gotta love Tac Hel.  ;D

Strike said:
G2G -- I assume there are only so many Dabros' in the CF.  Is this the Dabros I am thinking of?  If so, gotta love Tac Hel.  ;D
:nod:
Here's the link to his CMP bio.

Back