• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Sergeant Major" and CWO Appointments

pbi said:
Jungle: Fantastic quote... ... Larry Gollner was not liked by everybody, but he was a soldier IMHO
I have never met Col Gollner myself, but I believe his assessment is fairly accurate. The only thing that has changed since 1985 is the amount of time in to become CSM. While it was common to see someone promoted to MWO well before the 20 year mark, we barely ever see it now...

ok, so yer saying that the level of information regarding the military is easier to come by these days than it was when you were younger??  We may have the internet now, but I am sure you would have had the wealth of infomation of a generation that understood our military and was more than willing to pass any info on that they experienced when serving....

either way what ever...pbi yer bang on

I guess I was reflecting a feelling that I had when I have taught, and maybe I am only reflecting an attitude that should be long dead...

thorbahn hope you got yer answer.

from a tired and slowly getting disgruntled tess...

out

ok, so yer saying that the level of information regarding the military is easier to come by these days than it was when you were younger??  We may have the internet now, but I am sure you would have had the wealth of infomation of a generation that understood our military and was more than willing to pass any info on that they experienced when serving....

No-not really. My point wasn't about the information itself, it was about the desire to have it, and the fact that in our society today (and 30 years ago) lots of recruits already had lots of info in their heads and wanted to know more. And as for a "generation that understood our military"...well, all I can say that if people think Canadians are anti-military today, they should have seen this country in 1974. I hae ranted about this on other threads, so I'll spare you the foaming at the mouth, but it was grim. I did benefit, I think, from a small handful of older RegF RSS WOs and Sgts Maj who had been young soldiers in Korea, but were mostly approaching retirement by the time I joined the Res.

Cheers.

Back