• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*Server Is Under High Stress*

The speed is definitely our issue. The scripting... not sure of that. Bear in mind that the DWAN blindly strips out a lot of Javascript etc. so certain features may be flakey or not work at all when logged in from there. It also may be that because of the (sometimes terrible) speed, the page doesn't completely load. In those cases, it's possible that the scripts on the page error out, if they are only partly loaded.

Mike,
Love the site, hate the variations in speed. I wrote a nice note which I hope to replicate but the system timed out and I lost it. Two questions for you on site speed.

One - I for one and it appears many others remain logged on 24/7 even if we are not actually at the keyboard. Does that slow things down? Should we be told to log out after each session?
Two - I normally lurk about in the Recruiting forums as it is my area of expertise at the moment. I noticed there are many many pages of info / posts that are woefully out of date. Any plan to cut through that clag and send the out of date and in some cases inaccurate posts either to the shredder or into a legacy vault whenere they could be searched but not uploaded all the time?

Just trying to help. Let me know if you want to discuss further. Have a great day.

CFR FCS   

You volunteering?    ;D

If I remember correctly there was some vague chat about that a long while back, but the impression I get, is that at present, the Mods have got their hands full just keeping up with the ditzzies out there..... :)

Hi CFR,

For your first question, staying logged in doesn't consume any site resources, so it's OK to do that. You only draw from the site when you're actually visiting pages and reading threads.

For the second, GAP's pretty much got it... from time to time the Staff will go through and clean things out... believe it or not, the Recruiting board has been done a few times already. It's a neverending job though, and very time consuming because we try to retain useful threads while cleaning up outdated or repetitive ones. That means reviewing everything before taking action, which is a huge task. Our goal though is to ensure we have the best information possible, at the end of the day.

The speed problems are simply because our usage currently outstrips our capacity. The ball is firmly in my court to fix that, and while I have several irons in the fire, it's going more slowly than I'd hoped.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to report, logging on times still very long or the progress bar just freezes , stating waiting for site response. Which at times just won't connect.

Also a new development, I can't seem to stay logged in, I check in (or try) every day, sometimes three times to see if anything new. But finally when I log in its always as Guest. Then if I want the current short list, I have to Log out and immediately Log in, then sometimes (see para one) happens.

The above occurs at no specific time or day.

If equipment and its cost is the problem. IMO a nominal charge for the privilege of posting or submissions should be charged and mandatory. Access and viewing free.

The Milnet Charge is more than reasonable, plus it gives you the right to complain. ;D

Cheers

Now 6.35am since the above submitted. Now I thought I had lost the above post as when I pressed "Post" the progress bar filled halfway and froze my PC and I had to restart to get control.

Now I just Logged on to try and re-post the above , much to my surprise there it was.

Again I was not logged in and had to re-login as mentioned above.

All other sites like, Paypal, GamersGate, Scotia Bank when clicked on just snap in , in seconds.

Cheers.

Eddy,

The site speed is definitely a known problem... for the login issue, do you clear cookies or have cookie security settings enabled on your browser? The site uses cookies to keep you logged in, but if those cookies are being discarded by your browser, it would explain what you're seeing.

Not sure if its the old "its not you but me" thing......

Mike, currently as of 1628 NDT site loads slower than drying paint and growing grass....

Also the following error is reported at the bottom of IE 8...

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:56:11 UTC

Line: 471
Char: 11
Code: 0
URI: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=66086.900;num_replies=905

Line: 554
Char: 1
URI: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=66086.900;num_replies=905

Hey Fast Eddy,

I couldn't get onto the site just after midnight either. I also lagged in a very big way between 0500-0530 this am ... then just gave up.

It just took me upteen "refreshs" to get into this thread to post; I began approx 1 hour ago when I got back to the shacks from class.

Here's a copy of one of the error messages that I recd about 45 minutes ago while trying to get in Mike - if it helps.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:15:16 UTC

Line: 43
Char: 1
URI: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23172.0/topicseen.html

And this one too (on the bottom of my page now; guess I will copy this whole post ... in case I get the server time-out error):
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:58:51 UTC

Line: 471
Char: 11
URI: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=66086.0;num_replies=906

Thanks Mike,

Problem solved, it was the Cookies. For awhile now, at the end of Day I've been running Ace Utility's (which has option to remove all Cookies).

Cheers.

Average load time for any page on the site today is 12 mins.  fastest was a whisker under 2 mins, slowest was an agonizing 23.5 mins  (yes, I timed it).

I'm noticing a differences in loading times between the Army.ca and Milnet.ca sites - if I access through Army.ca its a lot faster than through Milnet.ca.

Is there an actual difference with the server for each, or do those Army electrons just run a little faster than the Milnet ones... ?

Greymatters said:
I'm noticing a differences in loading times between the Army.ca and Milnet.ca sites - if I access through Army.ca its a lot faster than through Milnet.ca.

Is there an actual difference with the server for each, or do those Army electrons just run a little faster than the Milnet ones... ?

Well, you gotta take into account Milnet Users electrons are REMF's and only qualify for the lesser medal, so why should they work as hard as Army electrons.....just for bling?  ;D

Greymatters, both are just different names for the same thing, so there shouldn't be a difference in load times.

In the bad old days, when Mike had two connections, my symptom for "one connection down" was that I could load, say, Army.ca but not Navy.ca. It was, I believe, just the luck of the draw log-in, i.e. I found myself, quite by accident, at either the head or tail of the queue.

The site is, still, sporadic. Often, as now, pages load and refresh quickly; five minutes later I will have to force a 'reload' two or three times. As I have described it before, it is like you-know-who's knickers on a pay-night.

Folks,

I've finally pulled the trigger on a faster service. It's going to take some time to convert things over, and for a portion of that at least, the current server will be unavailable. I don't have an ETA yet, though I'd like to wrap it up this long weekend. Unfortunately, our current slow connection means transferring the data onto the new server is going to take some time.

Please bear with me, I promise it will be worth the wait.

Cheers
Mike

Should we have another fundraising drive....fast connections are great, but like anything else...it's not free, nor cheap....

Thanks GAP, I appreciate the thought. There's enough money in the bank to start paying for the new service, so I'd like to get cut over and working... then if people see it as "a good thing" maybe they'll be willing to chip in. :)

Good to hear Mike, I will be able to give you a test from Europe between 6-27 April if you want.....

Good news folks... Most of the cutover is now complete. There is plenty that still doesn't work, but I'll pick away at that over the coming days. For now, the forums should more or less be in tact and hopefully, a heck of a lot faster.

Please report any problems here or directly to me via PM.

Enjoy!

Back