• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt Andrew J. Doiron, PPCLI & CSOR - 06 Mar 2015

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just released a few minutes ago. Rest in Peace Sergeant.  :salute:

Canadian Armed Forces member killed by friendly fire in Iraq

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=945669&tp=1

OTTAWA—A Canadian Armed Forces soldier was killed yesterday, March 6th, 2015 in Iraq at approximately 3:50 p.m. local Ottawa time in a friendly fire incident when members of the Special Operations Forces were mistakenly engaged by Iraqi Kurdish forces following their return to an observation post behind the front lines.

Killed in action was Sergeant Andrew Joseph Doiron, from the Canadian Special Operations Regiment, based at Garrison Petawawa, Ontario.

Three other members were injured in the incident and are receiving medical care for their injuries.   

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of our fallen soldier and the injured members during this difficult time. We will not forget the sacrifice of this soldier as we continue on our mission to help advise and assist the Iraqi Security Forces in their fight against the so-called Islamic State (ISIL).

Quick Facts
Members of CANSOFCOM are in Iraq to participate in Op IMPACT, the Canadian government’s efforts to provide assistance to Iraqi forces as they face threats posed by the extremist militant group ISIL (the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant).

Operation IMPACT is the CAF’s contribution to the Middle East Stabilization Force (MESF), the international coalition assisting security forces in the Republic of Iraq who are fighting against ISIL.

CANSOFCOM’s role in Op IMPACT, with the support of other Canadian Armed Forces elements, is to provide military advice and assistance.
Approximately 600 personnel, including aircrew support elements such as command, control and logistics are participating in Op IMPACT.  This includes 69 members of the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command already working in an advisory and assistance role by providing strategic and tactical advice to Iraqi security forces.
Quotes

“It is with profound sadness that I have learned of the death of Sergeant Andrew Joseph Doiron in Iraq today. We have lost another invaluable member of our family. A soldier and a warrior, Sergeant Doiron was a consummate professional appreciated by all. His sacrifice will not be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.  I am grateful for his service and dedication.  He will be missed.”

General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff

“Every member of Canada’s Special Operations Forces Command feels a great loss at Drew’s passing.  He was a gifted special operator and a great leader.  He loved his job and the people he soldiered with. We grieve with Drew’s family and extend our condolences to them.  Our thoughts are also with our three injured operators.  We will bring Drew home with all dignity and wrap our arms around our injured Brothers and we will carry on with our important mission in Iraq.”

Brigadier-General Michael Rouleau, Commander of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command

- 30 -
Note to editors: A photograph of Sergeant Andrew Joseph Doiron is available at www.forcesimages.ca/

Contacts
Media Relations
Department of National Defence
Phone: 613-996-2353
Toll-Free: 1-866-377-0811

mlo-blm@forces.gc.ca 

Breaking now ... 

My condolences to the family, friends and fellow brothers in arms of Sergeant Andrew Doiron. A good man gone too soon. I will remember you.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-soldier-killed-by-friendly-fire-in-iraq-1.2268817

A Canadian soldier has been killed in a friendly fire incident in Iraq.

Sgt. Andrew Joseph Doiron was killed Friday, after members of the Canadian Forces were mistakenly engaged by Iraqi Kurdish forces, the Department of Defence said in a statement Saturday. Doiron was based out of the Garrison Petawawa in Ontario.

Three other members were injured in the incident and are receiving medical care, the department said.

According to the department, Canadian Special Forces were mistakenly engaged by Iraqi Kurdish forces following their return to an observation post behind the front lines.

"Our thoughts are with the families and friends of our fallen soldier and the injured members during this difficult time," the statement said. "We will not forget the sacrifice of this soldier as we continue on our mission to help advise and assist the Iraqi Security Forces in their fight against the so-called Islamic State (ISIL)."

Very sad to read this news.  My deepest condolences to his family and comrades.  :salute:

RIP Sgt.

On behalf of the Rifles and Camerons, we send our condolences.

:salute: :cdn:

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends, and hopes for a speedy recovery to the wounded.  :salute:

Rest in Peace, brother. You will be remembered. Audeamus  :salute:

Please forgive my ignorance, but how dim must the Kurdish forces be to mistake highly and well equipped spec ops for a bunch of ragtag ISIS fighters? I hope they properly deal with those who are guilty.

:cdn: :salute: RIP Sgt. Doiron, and thank you for your service. Hoping for a speedy recovery to those injured.

RIP Sgt Doiron. :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to his family, colleagues and friends.  Heartfelt wishes for speedy and full recovery by Sgt Doiron's injured comrades.

My condolences to the family,comrades of SGT Doiron.

http://www.stripes.com/news/americas/canadian-military-adviser-killed-in-friendly-fire-in-iraq-1.333243

Blake Castelein said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but how dim must the Kurdish forces be to mistake highly and well equipped spec ops for a bunch of ragtag ISIS fighters? I hope they properly deal with those who are guilty.

:cdn: :salute: RIP Sgt. Doiron, and thank you for your service. Hoping for a speedy recovery to those injured.

Having almost been shot by my own troops (they claim accidentally, of course  ;D) in the past, I can personally attest to the fact that the passage of friendly lines by patrols during a time of war is a very risky endeavour, which seems to be the case in this tragedy.

I can imagine that the differences in language and other SOPs in this conflict make operations like this even more tenuous.

If you want to blame someone, I'd blame ISIS for creating this situation.

daftandbarmy said:
Having almost been shot by my own troops (they claim accidentally, of course  ;D) in the past, I can personally attest to the fact that the passage of friendly lines by patrols during a time of war is a very risky endeavour, which seems to be the case in this tragedy.

I can imagine that the differences in language and other SOPs in this conflict make operations like this even more tenuous.

If you want to blame someone, I'd blame ISIS for creating this situation.
Okay thank you, I understand it a bit better now. (I hope that they really didn't mean to shoot you  ;D)

From Kuwait today. 

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=67783&site=combatcamera

Back