• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt. Craig Gillam, Cpl. Robert Mitchell, RCD - 03 Oct 2006

My heart goes out to the family & friends of the fallen. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured.  :cdn:

It's gotten to the point where I don't even know what to say anymore. It's pretty sad.

I wrote in anger and i apolagize.  this is the worst day of my life.  this is my own 9/11 and i can't seem to come to terms with it. i just don't understand.  i'm very confused.  no one should have to go through this. i can't even put into words the depth of my emotions.  What do I do?  What happens to Leanne and the kids? What do we do?  I'm so very angry and heartbroken amd worried for her and the kids and Jimmy's parents (he was Jimmy to me since I've known him since he was born).

evolutionrules,

PM inbound      ;)

All we can do now is be there for them. And support them as best we can. Believe me when I say this , and I know you feel the same way, if there is anything that Leanne needs We will all do are best to make sure she gets it.

I am currently on leave from Afganistan and I am a Dragoon and know Mitch well since he started with us. He will be missed very much and I'm glad to have known him.
I pray for his wife and kids and hope that I can attend his service before I head back. :cdn:

My heart is heavy everytime I hear this.

:cdn:  :cdn:

From the PMO

Statement by the Prime Minister on the deaths of Sergeant Craig Paul Gillam and Corporal Robert Thomas James Mitchell

October 3, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the deaths of Sergeant Craig Paul Gillam and Corporal Robert Thomas James Mitchell.

“On behalf of all Canadians, I wish to extend my sincerest condolences to the families and friends of Sergeant Gillam and Corporal Mitchell, who died today while serving their country in Afghanistan. We also pray for the speedy recovery of the five other soldiers who were injured.

“Canada is forever grateful to these brave men who put their lives on the line and made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of promoting peace, stability and security in Afghanistan.

“Sergeant Gillam and Corporal Mitchell came under attack as they worked to remove mines and other improvised explosive devices for a future road construction project. All Canadians should be proud of this country's efforts to help the Afghan people rebuild their county. We will not be deterred by ruthless attacks by insurgents and terrorists.

“The legacies of our fallen soldiers will be carried on by the men and women in uniform who remain steadfast in their service to our country and to this mission to ensure Afghanistan becomes a truly free and democratic society.”

Rest in Peace guys. I worked with Craig at the RCAC School before my remuster. :salute:

We lost one of our members troops.

Cpl Mitchell was a member of this site.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/members/8784;sa=summary

Stand easy Troops

From all members, The  South Alberta light Horse (RCAC)
Sad day for the Corps

:cdn:  :salute:
:cdn: :salute:

reccecrewman said:
Sgt. Gillam - My old crew commander, RIP

Cpl. Mitchell, my neighbor and friend RIP

Sad day for the Dragoons
Yes it is a sad day for the Dragoons.....it is a Sad Day for the Corps and the Rest of Canada.
I have served with both of the fallen. I only knew Rob for a short time, but I knew Craig for almost 22 years. Even though, I have since left the Corps to be a Veh Tech, I will always be Armoured RECCE.
They're deaths only strike closer to home about what my life's been all about.

So, to everyone please take a moment and remember our fallen, they are My friends, My comrades, My Brothers-in-Arms.

Thank You,
Tango

October 5, 2006

By LES PERREAUX

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - The heroism of a Canadian soldier in the last moments before he died thwarted deadly insurgent stealth in the ambush that also killed another soldier this week, their commander says.

When insurgents crept up to three observation posts spread over two kilometres to launch the bold ambush that killed Sgt. Craig Gillam and Cpl. Robert Mitchell, Gillam was the only soldier in his post who managed to shoot back, the officer says.

Five other soldiers among the eight in the observation post were injured.

The death toll would have been much worse if Gillam had not returned fire as the attack began, according to his commander, Maj. Andrew Lussier.

Moments before he died, Gillam blasted away at the insurgents with the dual benefit of forcing them to take cover and warning his fellow soldiers at two other posts just before they also came under attack.

"Sgt. Gillam was the only one in that group to actually be able to return fire," said Lussier, who leads a surveillance and reconnaissance squadron of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

"His actions, I'm certain, saved the lives of the remainder of the patrol."

Moments later, insurgents attacked the two other observation posts, injuring three U.S. soldiers.

The entire fight lasted 30 seconds, Lussier said.

Lussier spoke a few minutes after a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield to solemnly send the remains of Gillam and Mitchell back to Canada.

The firefight was a surprising show of strength from a Taliban force that NATO drove out of the same Panjwaii area just weeks ago.

The area has seen renewed fighting since that operation in September that purportedly killed hundreds of fighters.

While this ambush was successful, several other attacks this week failed to cause any serious casualties, although they rattled the nerves of Canadian soldiers who lost 12 comrades from Sept. 3 to Oct. 3.

Soldiers said they killed several insurgents, although officials would not confirm exact numbers.

Col. Fred Lewis, the deputy commander of the Canadian task force in Kandahar, said the insurgents still feel a powerful draw to the area where the Taliban movement was born.

"This has been a traditional stronghold of the Taliban, going back perhaps to the Soviet times," Lewis said.

The combination of scarce water in the Arghandab River, mountains, huge marijuana fields, walled compounds and vineyards and a sympathetic population make it perfect terrain for insurgents.

It's also on the doorstep of Kandahar, Afghanistan's second most important city.

Lewis pointed out the Soviets tried to take the area with a division - about 10,000 troops. They failed.

About 1,000 troops, mainly Canadians backed by U.S., Afghan and NATO troops, combined with air support managed to take the Panjwaii district in September with a handful of combat casualties, he pointed out.

Since then, seven Canadians have died trying to hold on to the area and thwarted several attacks.

"We lost some soldiers, but we're taking some immediate action that will make it harder for them to do it," Lewis said.

Cpl Mitchell was Sgt Gillam's gunner and was directly involved in the engagement.

Regards

CTV also has this story up...

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20061005%2framp_ceremony_061005&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

:salute:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2112

Statement from the family of Corporal Robert Thomas James Mitchell

- October 10, 2006

First and foremost, we would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Craig Gillam, and also to the other families that have lost loved ones in Afghanistan. Ours is a shared tragedy.  We understand the difficult times you are going through, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Robert will be remembered in many ways.  To his friends, he was the guy who would cross the finish line of a 50 km Ironman, a smile still beaming on his face, with enough left in him to go for a long jog the next day.  To his regiment he was the consummate professional soldier with limitless potential. To us, his family, he was a dedicated father, a loving son, and an amazing husband.

It was pride in this country, respect for his regiment, and his devotion to duty that led Robert to Afghanistan.  His support and belief in the importance of the mission was unwavering.  As a proud Canadian, he took upon himself the obligation of this nation to help those around the globe less fortunate than we.

His life was one of quiet dedication and service: it was far too short, but far from empty. Those who knew him were enriched by the experience. The world is somehow lesser without him in it.

He will be truly and dearly missed.

Loving Friends and Family

- 30 -
Note to the editors:

For more information please contact 2nd Lieut. Krzysztof Stachura, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Public Affairs Officer, at (613) 687-5511 extension 6351, or (613) 639-0485 (cell).

Back