• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt Ernest Smith VC dead at 91

hugh19

Inactive
Reaction score
Just saw this on the DND site

Canada Loses its Last Surviving Victoria Cross Winner
MA-05.001 - August 3, 2005

VANCOUVER- Sergeant (Retired) Ernest Alvia â Å“Smokeyâ ? Smith, VC, has died today at the age of 91 in Vancouver . In consultation with the Smith family and in cooperation with other agencies, a military funeral is being planned to honour Sergeant Smith.

As arrangements become definite, they will be posted to the Legion web site, http://www.pacificlegion.org/smokysmith.html, and announced to the media. A Valour Coordination Media Centre will be established at The Sutton Place Hotel at 845 Burrand St, Vancouver beginning tomorrow from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, and will remain open until the morning after the funeral.

Should the public have any enquiries, then can contact Veterans Affairs at 1-800-443-0394.

The Smith family has asked for complete privacy during their time of mourning and the media and public are asked to respect this request. Media should place all inquiries to the Valour Media Centre, via email (smith.valour@forces.gc.ca), or by telephone (604- 225-2520, ext 2496)

A sad day for me as a Seaforth, and I imagine a sad day for all Canadian soldiers. A real nice guy, and a hero to heroes. I consider myself very lucky to have had the chance to chat with him numerous times, and always found him to be upbeat, lively, funny, and a real 'soldier's soldier'. He loved the Regiment, and was always keen to visit with fellow Seaforths, or 'the boys' as he called us.

God speed, Smokey.   :salute: I'll miss you.

Cabar Feidh

:cdn:

sledge said:
As arrangements become definite, they will be posted to the Legion web site, http://www.pacificlegion.org/smokysmith.html, and announced to the media.

Not trying to be picky, but for those who want to read the link they missed the "e" in Smokey, so the link is actually:

http://www.pacificlegion.org/smokeysmith.html

It is a sad day :(

RIP, met many years ago, the Seaforths were lucky to have him take such an interest in their soldiers.

RIP, Sergent, a great man and a legacy to the Seaforths and the whole Canadian Forces.
UBIQUE!!!

My sincerest condonlances to the family. He will be missed by all those who met and knew him. I will always remember him as man who had time for all, and his great humility and humour. Thanks for the stories, I am sure you, gramp and lockie are all having a scotch up there right now! Rest in Peace.
Jason

Another living  :cdn: Canadian  :cdn: treasure has passed away. I have read on Smokey many times, and he lived a full life. 91 years is an achievment on it's own.

So ends an era in Canadian history.

Regards,

Wes

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann,
'S nan Gaisgeach;
Far am faighear an t-eun fionn
'S far am faigh am faidh fasgadh
Cho fada's chitear ceo mu bheann
'S a ruitheas uisge le gleann,
Mairidh cuimhne air euchd nan treun
Slainte agus buaidh Cabar Feidh
Le Gillean Gleadach
Cabar Feidh gu brath !

Rest in Peace Smokey

deffinatley upsetting news.

RIP smokey may you reach peace at last

I had the honour of meeting Smokey and talking to him a few times.  A nicer guy I have never met,  Canada has lost a true hero. RIP, soldier, stand easy at last.
CHIMO, Kat  :salute: :cdn:

God Bless you Sgt Smith,Thank you for all you did for Canada.

The land of hills, glens, and heroes; where the ptarmigan thrives and where the red deer finds shelter; as long as mist hangs o'er the mountains and water runs in the glens, may the deeds of its brave be remembered, and health and victory be with the lads of the Cabar Feidh."

God Bless you Smokey.  You will always be remembered. 

RIP :salute:

I feel honoured an privileged to have met and spoken to Smokey as often as I have. He was the most down-to-earth, friendly, personable, and humble person you could imagine. A great man, and a true Canadian hero.

Rest in Peace Smokey, we'll all miss you.

Cabar Feidh gu Brath

Got a chance to meet Smokey in Europe in '94 during the 50th anniversary of D Day.

Was very privileged to spend time with him in Italy and North West Europe; and to have him talk very freely to my comrades and I about his wartime experiences...(Especially over a few pints.); and were surprised by his interest in us.

A first rate gent and a genuine Canadian Hero.....

I know I'll be raising glass or two Tonight.

Canada Gu Brath, God willing, because of people like him.

They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

G-D bless you Smokey Smith, and Thank You :salute:

i had my picture taken with smokey in Vimy for the 85th  of the battle of Vimy ! Great man, with great stories!  RIP Smokey, but may your stories live forever! :salute:

I am at a loss for words....

My grandfather-in-law served with the Seaforths, but not in the same company as Smokey.  I'm sure he'll be saddened to hear the news.  I'm not sure how close they were, but my grandfather-in-law knew Smokey to some extent.

Back