• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt. James MacNeil Killed in Afghanistan- 21/ June/ 2010

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Combat engineer Canada's 148th military death in Afghanistan:

KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan — Sgt. James MacNeil of Glace Bay, N.S., was killed Monday morning while on a foot patrol in Nakhoney, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar.

MacNeil, a 28-year-old combat engineer with 2 Combat Engineer Regiment of CFB Petawawa, Ont. was on a foot patrol with other members of the Royal Canadian Regiment battle group in Panjwaii District, when he was killed by an improvised explosive device — a homemade landmine.

He is the 148th Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan since 2002.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Canada+148th+military+death+Afghanistan/3182068/story.html#ixzz0rVfV8SCK

RIP :salute:

RIP Sgt!

Damn, the engineers seem to be taking a huge brunt lately! 

"Follow the Sapper"

"Ubique!"

:salute:

Sgt. James MacNeil of Glace Bay, NS:

tp-macneil-soldier.jpg

They haven't no manners nor gratitude too,
For the more that we help 'em, the less will they do,
But mock at Her Majesty's Engineers,
Her Majesty's Royal Engineers,
With the rank and pay of a Sapper!

Now the Line's but a man with a gun in his hand,
An' Cavalry's only what horses can stand,
When helped by Her Majesty's Engineers,

Artillery moves by the leave o' the ground,
But we are the men that do something all round,
For we are Her Majesty's Engineers,

I have stated it plain, an' my argument's thus
("It's all one," says the Sapper),
There's only one Corps which is perfect -- that's us;
An' they call us Her Majesty's Engineers,

Fack - condolences to the fallen's family, colleagues and friends  :salute:

One Canadian soldier killed by improvised explosive device
CEFCOM NR – 10.013 - June 21, 2010

OTTAWA — One Canadian soldier was killed after an improvised explosive device detonated during a foot patrol, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City, in the Panjwa’i District, at approximately 8:00 a.m. Kandahar time on 21 June 2010.

Killed in action was Sergeant James Patrick Macneil from 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ontario. Sergeant Macneil was serving with 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

We are all thinking of the family and friends of our Canadian fallen comrade during this sad time. The commitment and sacrifice of our military and their loved ones are helping to make a difference in the lives of the people of Kandahar Province.

Canada in partnership with Afghan National Security Forces, the Afghan government and ISAF remain committed to improving the security situation in order to set the conditions for reconstruction and development in the region. Together, Afghan National Security Forces and Joint Task Force Afghanistan continue to maintain the initiative in Kandahar Province.

Rest in peace Sergeant MacNeil. My condolences to your family, Regiment, comrades, and friends. "....and at the going down of the sun, and in the morning..we will remember them."
Ubique

My deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Sgt MacNeil.  :yellow: :salute:

News Room
Statement By The Minister Of National Defence On The Death Of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil
NR - 10.063 - June 21, 2010

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

"The Canadian Forces and the Department of National Defence mourn the death of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil, who was killed today after an improvised explosive device detonated during a foot patrol, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones in this time of grief.

Sergeant Macneil served valiantly alongside his comrades to help build a better and brighter future for Afghans. His passing illustrates some of the risks that the selfless men and women of the Canadian Forces face every day in carrying out their duties.

Canada is in Afghanistan as part of a UN-sanctioned mission to help build a stable, democratic, and self-sufficient society. Our Canadian Forces members are playing a key role in this NATO-led mission, helping improve the security situation in order to create the conditions necessary for Afghans to live normal lives.

Sergeant Macneil was bringing hope to a population that has seen much hardship and turmoil.

His death is a terrible loss for the Canadian Forces and all of Canada.”

Fallen Soldier
June 21, 2010

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil

OTTAWA—It was with great sadness that my husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I learned of the death of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil of 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ontario. Sergeant Macneil was killed when an improvised explosive device detonated while he was on foot patrol, some 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar, in the Panjwa’i district.

Driven day after day by their sense of duty, the members of the Canadian Forces answer their country’s call in response to Afghan security commitments undertaken by NATO-member countries, under the auspices of the United Nations. Sergeant Macneil was a dedicated participant in this most complex and perilous mission. We shall forever be indebted to him for the tremendous perseverance, courage, heroism and generosity that he exhibited. We shall not forget him.

I know that Canadians are as one in their desire to offer comfort and support to Sergeant Macneil’s family, friends and brothers-in-arms. We join them in extending our deepest sympathies and condolences. 

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media information:
Marie-Ève Létourneau
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
21 June 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

“On behalf of all Canadians, I offer my deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil, who died today after an improvised explosive device detonated during a foot patrol, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City.  May you be consoled by the knowledge that an entire country stands behind you in your grief.

“Sergeant Macneil was a courageous, dedicated soldier who gave his life trying to help the Afghan people build a better future for themselves and their country.

“Canadians stand proudly with the men and women of the Canadian Forces as they make brave sacrifices in support of this UN-mandated, NATO-led mission to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan.

“Sergeant Macneil’s life and death serves as an example of the bravery and outstanding dedication of Canadian Forces members on this mission.  Canada will remain forever grateful for his sacrifice.  We are all saddened by this loss.”

Our condolences to the family and friends of Sergeant James Patrick Macneil.

RIP Sarge... :salute: :cdn:

Back