• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shin-splints?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rafe
  • Start date Start date
R

Rafe

Hey, im am in BMT right now at my armoured reserve and am doing a lot of running/marching on pavement. I am getting painful shin-splints and am wondering what i can do to ease the pain or how to avoid them.
Thanks!

Invest in a few pairs of Spenco/ Sorbothane insoles. It will cost you $15-25 a pair, but you will have them for years. Also, after Pt stand straight and tap your toes up and down...just do it, because the flexion action loosens-out the muscles on the lower part of the limb.

cheers

Here‘s how I got rid of them after thirty years of putting up with them. Got rid of them this year. same advise from two RCR Snr NCO‘s.

Don‘t do your boots up all the way, half way will do.

It‘s not the front (shin) muscles that cause the problem. It‘s the calf muscles.

Stand with your toes on the stairs, or a curb if it‘s high enough, let your heels down SLOWLY and hold it at it‘s maximum for at least thirty seconds. Relax. Do it again, and again till your calves are good and stretched. Solved it for me.

I agree with both previous posts my first degree was sport injury related. Heres the skinny on shin splints.

They occur aas a result of weakness in the muscles of your shin or as a result of tight calves or usually both. SImple exercises like putting your feet under the edge of a couch and lifting your foot up against the resistance of the couch helps to strengthen the front muscles and strech the calves. If you get shin split type pain avoid doing calf raises and make sure you strech after marching and running.

Best of luck with it.

Back