• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

DeepThaut

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions I have about Naval Boarding Parties. Alright, first of all do you have to be a boatswain first before you can take the NBP course? Because it says on the recruiting site that it is a specialty course for the boatswain trade. And are they consindered to be elite soldiers and how physically demanding is their training? Any other information would be gladly appreciated!!

-Nordwind   :cdn:

The Truth, Duty, Valour series on OLN recently had one episode about NBP training, it looked pretty cool. If you got a hold of that episode it would be a good overview of the training. Perhaps try the OLN website. It didn't look excessively tough (unlike the Clearance Diver course), but it certainly came across as challenging and a lot of fun. If possible I'm hoping to get on that course at some point.

Any navy trade can do it.

I have heard Navy folk talk of the benifits of the various tech in the boarding parties.  A guy that knows his way around an engine room is likely to find smuggled cargo hidden there.

I'm sure Ex-Dragoon could give you a hand on this topic.

Nordwind said:
I was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions I have about Naval Boarding Parties. Alright, first of all do you have to be a boatswain first before you can take the NBP course? Because it says on the recruiting site that it is a specialty course for the boatswain trade. And are they considered to be elite soldiers and how physically demanding is their training? Any other information would be gladly appreciated!!

Sure...nope...any trade can do it as long as your department is willing to let you go in other words put in a Request Form. Well I work in the Ops Rm and I am no Boatswain. well we are far far far below the title of elite soldiers. That IMO belong to the light infantry battalions of the regular army. We are competent lets say that. How physical is it? Well you should be in shape....you will be climbing up boarding ladders that might not be secured in rough seas and rappelling down containers or even into holds on bulk carriers. There are a few ppl that are pear shape but they can still do the job.

Ya I seen that TDV has a episode about the NBP but I only caught the end of it, I'll try to see that episode again sometimes if I'm lucky. Thanks for clearing that up Ex-Dragoon! I have a few more questions for you again. If you are on the NBP, is that your only job once on the ship or do you go and do your regular trade until the call comes up that there is a boat that needs boarding? And does every ship have it's own NBP? Thanks again!

Nordwind said:
Ya I seen that TDV has a episode about the NBP but I only caught the end of it, I'll try to see that episode again sometimes if I'm lucky. Thanks for clearing that up Ex-Dragoon! I have a few more questions for you again. If you are on the NBP, is that your only job once on the ship or do you go and do your regular trade until the call comes up that there is a boat that needs boarding? And does every ship have it's own NBP? Thanks again!

No problem happy to help. To answeryour next questions it always depends on your Departmental requirements and what else is going on. Sometimes you are and sometimes you are not. Yes...the only ones that I am not sure of are the SSKs but thats a different kettle of fish anyways.

I'm thinking a Navy/Air Force section to the forum would be cool. Probably inappropriate at "army.ca" but there's nowhere else for us navy types to go!

An other thanks going out to you Ex-Dragoon! That clears up my questions. :)   And yes RNW I agree that a small section of the forums dedicated to the Airforce/Navy would be nice maybe we can conivince Mike to add an other forum room in. :) Oh and Ex-Dragoon, one last question then I'll stop bugging ya haha ;) What kind of small arms do you guys use? MP5's? C7's? I also seen a picture of NBP members practicing with Remington shotguns and SIG Sauers. Do they use anything else? Thanks again and I really appreciate the info!

As much as I hate to admit it I don't think there is enough interest to warrant Mike setting up a Navy.ca or a Coffee break oops I mean an Air Force.ca site.

For boarding ops we all carry a Sig Sauer P225, ASP Baton, pepper spray and cuffs; some also carry the MP5 and a couple carry the 870s. For Force Protection duties we carry the C7 plus our P225s.

A teeny little Navy/Air Force section located in "The Mess" portion of the forums would be groovy.

Hey Yard Ape, I took your advise and posted there and now theres a new section in these forums named Airforce/Navy! :D
And thanks for the link Krugan, those are some nice pictures!

NBP is the primary reasoning I used to convince myself that I would be satisfied entering the navy as opposed to returning to the army. I'm not 100% on those Sig P225's however; I know why they went for them, but I'd rather have a P226. Just my preference though. I figure if you're going to have a single column magazine, then use .45. Just an opinion, not trying to get into an equipment discussion.

Aside from that, I've heard differing opinions on this question, so I'll repeat it here. A MARS officer is assigned to a NBP, is that correct? If so, what other duties are performed by such when they are attached to the NBP? Is this their primary role throughout their tour? Any MARS around who spent time as such?

Cheers...

There are two officers assigned to the team...one is the team leader and is a MARs officer LT(N) and in some cases a junior LT CDR (very very rare). The other officer is also usually a MARS officer LT(N) or S/LT and he is the witnessing officer and he usually gathers info, makes sure the documents are in order etc.

As for the P225, never had a problem with it. Much more reliable then the Hi Power. The 8 rounds per mag sucks but its enough to get you out of there if the fit hits the shan.

Enzo said:
I'm not 100% on those Sig P225's however; I know why they went for them, but I'd rather have a P226. Just my preference though. I figure if you're going to have a single column magazine, then use .45. Just an opinion, not trying to get into an equipment discussion.

Cheers...

Yah...I know what you mean. To anyone who uses a Sig the 225 is considered the small handed persons gun. ;D

There was another name for it but things being as PC as they are it is no longer polite to say out loud.

Back