• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Short term housing in Kitchener-Waterloo (June-August)

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looks like I'll be temporarily in Waterloo this summer for about 4-6 weeks for work (doing some experiments at UofW for a PGT). Unfortunately timing is still up in the air, but guessing it'll be sometime in July/August.

Looking at a number of options (sublet, hotel/motel, on campus housing) but thought I'd ask and see if anyone might now of good options for a short term rental over the summer. 40 year old married guy who'll mostly be working away at the school while there, so just looking for a clean place to crash, but trying to avoid going most of the summer without bbq and kitchen access.

If anyone knows of anything specific but has questions, please drop me a PM for some offline discussions.

Thanks
Pete

Depending on the commute you're willing to tolerate, Guelph and Cambridge might also be options.

Thanks, that's a good point; actually will be working at an off campus location west of Waterloo that I need to drive to, so Cambridge, Guelph etc are all within range.

Really not looking for anything fancy, but would prefer something other than crashing in a first year dorm! :cheers:

Maybe AirBNB?  Not sure if they would be willing to lower the price for a longer stay.

Thanks Dimsum, for some reason hadn't even thought of AirBnb or similar.

Just did a quick search and there are places available that offer a monthly discount too.

Does anyone know if AirBNB or similar are allowed on TD claims now? Vaguely remember seeing something about it on a TD notice, but don't currently have DWAN access while on PGT.  Assuming if I get a receipt shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes it's easier to take the most expensive option (like a hotel) than to do something slightly different that would save the GoC money.

Navy_Pete said:
Thanks Dimsum, for some reason hadn't even thought of AirBnb or similar.

Just did a quick search and there are places available that offer a monthly discount too.

Does anyone know if AirBNB or similar are allowed on TD claims now? Vaguely remember seeing something about it on a TD notice, but don't currently have DWAN access while on PGT.  Assuming if I get a receipt shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes it's easier to take the most expensive option (like a hotel) than to do something slightly different that would save the GoC money.

There is.  Something about it being used if no hotels are available or some such.  I haven't really looked and am on TD myself so can't really check DWAN right now.

Thanks, dug around in the travel directive, and all it says for defining accomodation requirements is;

3.3.1 Accommodation

The standard for accommodation is a single room, in a safe environment, conveniently located and comfortably equipped.

A variety of options for accommodation are available for travel. Generally these include hotels, motels, corporate residences, apartments, private non-commercial accommodation, and government and institutional accommodation.

https://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/d10/v238/s644/en#s644-tc-tm_3_1

It goes on to encourage 'private non-commercial accommodations' (particularly for long stays), which I believe is staying with a friend, which makes sense if you can manage that.  The rate is $50/day for up to 120 days for that, so definitely cheaper than a hotel, but can't remember if they lumped something like AirBnB under that, or was classified as a hotel/motel (along with B&Bs in general). Looks like a good option though, and found a few places in the area that look nice, have discounts for long term stays, and even may have BBQ access!

In any case, will verify with the POC that I have for travel, but always like to have read the refs myself first to see what they actually say for things like this (after realizing some people operate on 'what we've always done' sometimes).

It's a fairly recent CANFORGEN I think.  Maybe someone will be able to dig it out from the DWAN.

It wasn't a CANFORGEN but came from DCBA.

DCBA 3 001/19 R 281950Z Feb 19

REFS: A. DCBA 3 002/18 071247Z MAY 18
B. DCBA 3 001/17 131239Z MAR 17
C. CFTDTI 7.02 AND 7.03
D. CFTDTI 8.02 AND 8.03
E. CBI 208
F. CFIRP SECTION 3.2

SUBJ: USE OF AIRBNB

1. REFS A AND B ARE CANCELLED AND REPLACED BY THIS MESSAGE
2. AIRBNB AND SIMILAR ACCOMMODATION BOOKING PROGRAMS ARE A RECENT
FORM OF RESERVING A TEMPORARY PLACE FOR OVERNIGHT TRAVEL AND REST.
POR EASE OF USE, THE TERM QUOTE AIRBNB UNQUOTE WILL BE USED TO
ENCOMPASS ALL SIMILAR TYPES OF BOOKING PROGRAMS
3. WRT TD POLICIES UNDER REFS C AND D, SELECTION OF AIRBNB
ACCOMMODATION BY THE APPROVING AUTHORITY MAY ONLY BE PERMITTED WHEN
NONE OF THE ACCOMMODATIONS LISTED IN THE ACCOMMODATION AND CAR
RENTAL DIRECTORY (ACRD) ARE AVAILABLE. IN SUCH CASES, THE
ESTABLISHED CITY LIMIT RATE SHOULD BE USED AND THE STANDARD REMAINS
A SINGLE GUEST ROOM
4. OTHER COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF AIRBNB, SUCH AS DEPOSITS,
CANCELLATION AND BOOKING AND/OR CLEANING FEES, WILL NEED TO BE
FACTORED INTO THE TOTAL COST
5. WRT RELOCATION POLICIES UNDER REFS E AND F, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
CAF MEMBERS WILL BE REIMBURSED AIRBNB EXPENSES UP TO THE RATES
ESTABLISHED IN THE ACRD BASED ON THE NUMBER OF HOTEL/MOTEL ROOMS
THEIR FAMILY WOULD HAVE BEEN ENTITLED TO

Thanks 211 RadOp!

I like para 3; common sense says if I can find an AirBnB (or similar) that I like at a lower rate than the ACRD I should be able to use that, but the direction reads like it should only be plan B if the hotels are all booked.  ::)

Back