• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should Leaders Ever Swear?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should Leaders Ever Swear?

The BP oil spill has devastated the Gulf of Mexico, pummeled the oil company's market value, and created a lingering problem for the Obama Administration, which has been criticized for responding too cerebrally, without sufficient forcefulness or authenticity.

The spill has also provided an interesting historical footnote: during an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC's Today Show last week, Obama declared that one of his goals during meetings on the crisis has been to determine "whose ass to kick."
As profanities go, "ass" is a relatively mild one — it's been commonly used on network TV shows for years now. Still, it's not generally a term that presidents use in formal interviews, and it created a round of chatter among political pundits.

Presidents have long been known to utter profanities in private — Politico has compiled a comprehensive guide to the history of White House cussing — and occasionally to be caught doing it via the Oval Office taping system or the familiar I-didn't-know-this-microphone-was-on snafu. (Classic examples are here and here.) Obama's utterance wasn't a slip, though; it appeared deliberate — a strategic use of profane language to try to show that he's angry, and to try to better connect with voters' emotions.

It's an example of how curse words, long considered a vice, can actually be used constructively.

It's a phenomenon that's the subject of a 2007 study published in the Leadership and Organizational Development Journal by Yehuda Baruch and Stuart Jenkins of the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. They surveyed existing literature on why, when and how people swear in professional settings and conducted focus groups to better understand the practice. They also sent co-author Jenkins on an undercover mission as a temp worker at a British mail-order warehouse, where he observed workers' use of profanity and tested out its effects himself.

In the most memorable scene of any academic paper I've read lately, Jenkins, after working in the packing department for a couple of months, uses nuclear-grade profanities to challenge an alpha-male co-worker, a guy named Ernest: "Well f-----g get on with it then, you lazy ----." Other workers gasped, but in fact, the incident led Jenkins to be invited to join group activities from which he'd previously been excluded. "[Jenkins] had identified the profane linguistic 'initiation rite' for inclusion in the packers' social group, and used it successfully," the authors concluded.

Baruch and Jenkins group workplace profanity into two types: "social swearing," generally used in casual conversation, and "annoyance swearing," the "Oh s--t" variety that's especially common in high-stress environments like trading floors. They see value in both types of usage. Social swearing "can serve to manifest and signal solidarity," they write, while annoyance swearing "provides a 'relief mechanism' for the release of stress and tension."
Their analysis resonated with me. Like most people, I try to limit my use of R-rated language, though in truth I'm more concerned with this self-censorship at home around my children than around colleagues at work. But in thinking about instances in which I've used profanity at the office, it's almost always "social swearing" in private conversations with colleagues, in which I've intended to show candor, strong feeling or to try to create a we're-all-in-this-together esprit de corps.
While I've worked for bosses who drop the f-bomb now and again, the most senior executives in organizations in which I've worked have generally avoided working blue. As a reporter, however, I've encountered corner-office types who casually swear during off-the-record asides in interviews. While they may be using this language simply out of habit, I've always considered it an attempt to bond — a naughty, I-shouldn't-be-saying-this-but-I-can-trust-you act that sources sometimes use to ingratiate themselves with reporters. I've never known what to make of the phenomenon of the swearing CEO — it's an aspect of leadership I'm still trying to figure out.

As an act of political theater, it's not clear what, if anything, Obama's use of a mild expletive accomplished. But the kerfuffle made me think about the role profanity should (or shouldn't) play in the language of leadership. Is it appropriate to use it as a bonding device or a way to motivate people? Do smart bosses use the f-bomb as a tool? What do you think?

http://blogs.hbr.org/hbr/hbreditors/2010/06/do_good_leaders_swear.html

Ahh,  we in Canada have already been there and done it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKSGRyZtz8

Although not the Prime Minister at the time of the video, purely Canadian in the Humour....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw99U22O7wM

Fuddle duddileas

tess

That is a very good question, and I see two sides:

1 - History is filled with successful leaders who have sworn in public or during speeches; and

2 - I agree that swearing to some extent appears as if you are losing control because you have let yourself get agitated by something, or that you are a lesser status.

As for my answer to your question, I personally go with the mentality that it is better to not do it often, so when extra emphasis is required you can pull it out and deploy the reserve.  Once guys get to the point where they're being used three times in a sentence though, nobody ever knows when that guy is mad.

I prefer the British approach of turning everyday words into expletives.  "This plan is complete pants!' or "What a gibbon!" and I could go on.

I think it has its time and place. Within the office environment where I once work, none of the 'managers' swore, except one. But, he never fit in there anyways.

As staff? I usually would use the word crap or arse or feck.... or feckin' arse, if I was really mad. Saying the $h*t word was reserved for major screw-ups... and, we never really said that in front of managers.

Outside of the office, with the same set of people, every other word was a swear and usually it was in a joking context. I guess it's the decorum of the office and the professionalism aspect of it. However, I have been in places where people rarely ever swear and if they did? You knew something *really* was up. I guess after a while, it loses it's meaning.

I haven't decided yet which path to take when I go into basic. I can swear fluently in three languages which can be pretty humorous in the right/acceptable situations... but at the same time, does over-swearing lose it's effectiveness when you really want a point made?

I subscribe to the Use It Sparingly school of thought.  There was a good quote on the subject in a leadership manual  circa late 60s that I've always remembered:

" Foul language is not the mark of a man.  It is the mark of a limited vocabulary". 

I don't recall if it was attributed to a famous person or Anon. or anybody at all, but I thought it excellent advice back then, and to remember and try to practice it served me well over the years.

Save the F-Bomb for a truly worthy occasion and use sparingly  :2c:

armychick2009 said:
does over-swearing lose it's effectiveness when you really want a point made?

No, not on some of the courses I've been on.  ::)
Of course, that was purely for the motivational aspect and I might add....quite effective depending
on whom it was coming from.
      But for "presidents", "prime ministers" and other "in public view" types, I have to say that it is
quite unbecoming of their position. A big No-No.
      However, under certain circumstances like President Obamas' mild use can produce the desired result. Of which it did. Quote: "to better connect with voters' emotions".

I'm of the mindstate that there is a time and a place for everything. 

If it is the right time and place; drop your f-bombs, flip the bird, etc. 

And moderation is key.  If a well placed f*ck helps illustrate your passion or resolve, then I'm for it.  But if you're just using it because its the apex of your vocabulary, well then... read a f*cking book!!!!

Let it fly, he was pissed and should be. Did he leave doubt to the affected that reckoning will be dealt? Nope. As long as he backs it up. I like it, we are drilled with canned political correctness so much we deflect most of it anyway.

I swear all the time. When i am really pissed, there is no doubt about it, regardless. It doesn't lose its effect.

My vocabulary is not limited either......i'm edumacated.

I would not say generically that a leader should or should not swear.

X291R said:
" Foul language is not the mark of a man.  It is the mark of a limited vocabulary". 

Save the F-Bomb for a truly worthy occasion and use sparingly  :2c:
I knew an infantry WO who could use "the F-bomb" as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb inside of one sentence  ... he even used it as an adverb to modify it an an adjective modifying itself.  His speeches were ineffective (especially when already angry) and when addressing a course the situation inevitably degenerated into him berating the course for giggling while he spoke.

I also knew an Engr RSM who would rarely complete a statement without at least one curse word somewhere within.  Yet, he would deliver powerful charismatic speeches that motivated and inspired like Churchill.  He had a much larger than average vocabulary and was master of the vernacular.

The difference between the two individuals is that one intelligently chose his words while the other just filled his speech with swearing (often to the detriment of including content).

One also needs to fit the communication to the audience.  Something that will inspire one group may offend another.  A leader of soldiers probably has a little more room to be colourful when addressing the troops than would an elementry school principle addressing the parents ... but, this also comes down to intelligently choosing the words for the effect/influence one wants on an audience.

Fit the message to the audience and if the word fits then use it.

MCG said:
as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb inside of one sentence 
would that be somewhat on these lines: Maga****ingnifi****ingcent
Con*******gratu*******lations sir!  ::)

No.  More like: "The ****ing ****in' ****s better ****in' get thier ****in' ****ing $*** together before I have to **** thier ****in' day!"

Profanity is the inability of a feeble mind to fully express itself.

A Monkism.

Bruce, I've used your sentiment, and the "limited vocabulary" one frequently when guiding new leaders. Profanity can be used effectively... more like a scalpel, less like a scimitar (or in some folks cases, a thermonuclear warhead).

CDN Aviator said:
I swear all the time....It doesn't lose its effect.

Maybe not to you, but it's hard to know what other people are day-dreaming about when they're looking at you and you think they're listening.

Petamocto said:
Maybe not to you, but it's hard to know what other people are day-dreaming about when they're looking at you and you think they're listening.

Huh?,.....

Did you say something?  ;)

Ever?
Simply asking the question shows what a limp-dick fucking army we've become.

Mind you, for a growing portion of the military, that dreaded moment of vulgarity would be caused only by catching a typo on your powerpoint during the actual presentation.  ;)

I've heard a taskforce commander jacking up subordinates over the radio. "You're really starting to f**king piss me off".
Wasn't a lot a swearing, just a few choice words thrown in his two minute rant but the effect it had was epic. He really made his intent clear and the whole net knew 'the man' wasn't happy.
Whole vehicle listening to the raido just looked at each other slack jawed.

I kind of like this list of leadership principles, which addresses the issue of profanity vs. obscenities at #11 (big words for a Paratrooper FFS!):

Colonel Glover Johns
Basic Philosophy of Soldiering

1. Strive to do small things well.

2. Be a doer and a self-starter-aggressiveness and initiative are two most admired qualities in a leader-but you must also put your feet up and THINK.

3. Strive for self-improvement through constant self-evaluation.

4. Never be satisfied. Ask of any project, How can it be done better?

5. Don't over-inspect or over-supervise. Allow your leaders to make mistakes in training, so they can profit from the errors and not make them in combat.

6. Keep the troops informed; telling them "what, how, and why" builds their confidence.

7. The harder the training, the more troops will brag.

8. Enthusiasm, fairness, and moral and physical courage - four of the most important aspects of leadership.

9. Showmanship-a vital technique of leadership.

10. The ability to speak and write well-two essential tools of leadership.

11. There is a salient difference between profanity and obscenity; while a leader employs profanity (tempered with discretion), he never uses obscenities.

12. Have consideration for others.

13. Yelling detracts from your dignity; take men aside to counsel them.

14. Understand and use judgement; know when to stop fighting for something you believe is right. Discuss and argue your point of view until a decision is made, and then support the decision wholeheartedly.

15. Stay ahead of your boss.

http://www.hackworth.com/gloverjohns.html

Back