• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should the RCMP be doing provincial policing?

little ruddiger

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Before anyone gets crazy I have no hate-on for the RCMP. The Constituton Act, 1876 (BNA Act) clearly puts policing under the responsibility of the provinces in confederation. At one time or another every province had their own provincial police but mainly due to the depression in the 30's the provinces opted to contract the mounties (except Ontario and Quebec obviously, and BC which kept it's force until the 50's). As Canada's federal police is provincial and municipal policing really a proper role for the mounties as an institution? Should the RCMP assume a role more similar to that of the para-military federal police services like those in many European countries?

Your last question first:  The RCMP are a para-military federal police service already.

The main reason that the Federal Police Force is doing Provincial and Municipal policing is monetary.  New Brunswick brought back their Provincial Police in the 1980's and then found that they could not afford to maintain them.  Now the RCMP do the job.  It is the same in many municipalities in the country.  When the government, at whatever level, contracts out for Police Services, they try to get the cheapest contract that they can.  The RCMP quite often offer the best solution.  In smaller communities, without a budget for Police Services, the RCMP will fill the void.  The OPP do the same in Ontario.

Being a current member of the RCMP, I have always thought we should take on more of a federal role, much like the FBI.  But that being said, I think I am better equipped to assume a federal enforcement role having been a street level Police Officer first. 

George, the RCMP are definitely more para-military than other services in Canada. I watched a graduation parade at OPC and I was standing next to and chatting with a paramedic who was former CF. When the graduates marched in we had to avoid looking at each other to keep from laughing. I haven't seen bear-marching like that since the Army Cadets on remembrance day, not to mention there dressing and cadence. In comparison the RCMP have always looked very very smart everytime I have seen them march.

But in all seriousness an instructor once explained to me that the RCMP was both the national police and the federal police of Canada. What he meant by that is the RCMP maintains databases such as CPIC and VICLAS for use by all police in Canada. Conduct investigation into matters that cross jurisdiction (especially provincial borders) and are of national/international interest. As well as being the senior member(wise old man on the mountain) of the police community, being the repository of knowledge and conducting advanced training for all police services at the Canadian Police College. All these functions are what my instructor called the "national" role of the mounties and are a kin to that of the FBI. In spite of a bit of an erosion to my lasts point about CPC the RCMP before these functions very well for Canadians. But as Blackhorse 7 stated above it would be nice to see more focus on this role.

The "federal" role as my instructor put it is more a kin to that of the Gendarmerie Nationale of France, the German Bundespolizei, Italy's Carabinieri or the Gardia Civil in Spain. This is a role that protects and guards federal properties, the nation's vital infrastructure, borders, sovereignty and transportation network. As well as being a reserve of bodies to be called upon whenever extra police are required in any part of the country. This is a role the RCMP don't exactly fill and are taking on less and less because of a focus turning to local and provincial policing.

The Ports Police are gone and the Mounties don't police the major airports anymore and the CN and CP Rail Police most people have never heard of. CBSA and Customs seem to be stepping up a bit but CATSA is a mess and people are screaming for an armed Coast Guard. Federal law enforcement needs a lot of thought and I think it is worth looking into what is going on with our friends and I am sure they won't mind, because after all we are friendly Canadians, eh buddy :D.

Canadian police in my opinion rely too heavily on an American model of policing which has strength and weaknesses but might not suit Canada as well as some would like. It is worth looking at a European model to at least see if there is anything there to benefit Canadians. At the very least it is something to put the American model up against and pick and choose what would work best for us here in Canada.

Gee last time I checked the RCMP are still at Vancouver International Airport. I wasn't aware that the RCMP were pulling out fo the airport business.

Blueboy,

Nice avatar, did you download it from the newest FRT?

;)

Tom

blueboy said:
Gee last time I checked the RCMP are still at Vancouver International Airport. I wasn't aware that the RCMP were pulling out fo the airport business.

i don't know at what level the mounties are at Vancouner International, but at Pearson the overall security of the airport was taken over by Peel police about 6/7 years ago (roughly).  Mounties are still present but as far as I know only for the investigative side of things, and not for the security as it used to be. 

I was being factious, the RCMP are alive and well in place at YVR. I would suggest it was a decision based on economic matters that resulted in the swap from RCMP to Peel Regional. One quick question. If the Peel Regional are at the Airport, then why do the RCMP do the investigations? As an accredited Police force, I'm sure Peel Regional can conduct it's own investigations. I'm confused.

BLUEBOY it's probably much like YVR where we have Richmond Detachment taking care of the alarms and general duty type calls and then IBET taking care of any Federal type statutes such as C&E, IMP, and larger CDSA related files that would require either international or cross country follow up.

Noneck

That makes sense. thanks Noneck....missed you at the Tribute to Nitro at the Seaforths'.

It is my understanding that the Mounties that you see at airport are not regular members but are "Special Constables". What that term means I am not sure about. My bro is a Mountie in BC....I must remember to ask him next time we talk.

We no longer have Special Cst's working the airports. All those folks you see in uniform are regular members.

Noneck

The old "RCMP Airport Detachments" were phased out in the early 90's.  General Duty policing is now done by which ever police agency has jurisdiction, i.e. RCMP Richmond in VIA and Peel in PIA.  The RCMP still have a presence at most international airports in Federal/Joint Force specialty sections.

Most provinces in Canada, with the exception of Saskatchewan and Manitoba have had, or still have, their own Provincial Police Force.  The ones that don't either lost them due to scandal or to reduce costs.

Here in NB (where every rinky dink town or city had their own PD when I transferred here in 96) they local PD's are being replaced by the RCMP as a direct result of the Province implementing increased policing standards.  Many of the small PD couldn't provide the service required or afford the cost of maintaining specialized units, i.e. Ident, ERT, PSD.  Some managed to contract those specialized services out to a larger PD close by...others just said the hell with it.  Moncton PD was huge...and even they chose to switch over to the RCMP.

Interesting to note that I've heard rumours Moncton isn't happy with the service Codiac District is providing and there is some talk of opting out in the future. 

Back