• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single mom of 4 fired from Timmies after giving a baby a Timbit

Yrys said:
She did, on CTV news tonight, she said that next time she would pay herself.

The story also said that the regular customer was one of her friend. And that she had talk to the management for
some others employees.

In French, newspaper article said that she was hired by another Tim Hortons (not the one that fired her). So she probably
lost any benefit of being woth them for 3 years (numbers of hours/week, numbers of vacations weeks/years, etc).

Yeah she was hired back at another location but from the same franchiesee from the one she was fired from.

People make a big stink about these types of stories because it is only 16 cents worth of dough to a big company and a poor single mother can't feed her kids.  But it is about a culture of not giving out goods for free that a franchisee is trying to create at their outlet.  If every employee was doing this, the cost would soon be in the hundreds of dollars a day.  So that worker stole 16 cents from the company.  The same as if she opened the cash register and handed it out in coins. I can see the value in having a policy of free timbits for kids to build goodwill, but this store wasn't doing that and it isn't up to employees to decide policy.  She was very smart to go public with it, as it probably saved her job. 
This story reminds of the Jack Nicholson quote from As Good As It Gets: "When I picture a woman, I think of a man and take away any sense of responsibility and accountability".  I think people would be quicker to say "Break the rules, pay the price", if it were a man in question.

neilinkorea said:
This story reminds of the Jack Nicholson quote from As Good As It Gets: "When I picture a woman, I think of a man and take away any sense of responsibility and accountability".  I think people would be quicker to say "Break the rules, pay the price", if it were a man in question.

I completely disagree with your remarks. I think that were this a single father with four kids, there would be an equivalent outpouring of compassion.

Celticgirl said:
I completely disagree with your remarks. I think that were this a single father with four kids, there would be an equivalent outpouring of compassion.

Come on now.  I find it funny how some women feel that they get treated equal when it comes to compassion.  If it happened to a single father with four kids, you can be sured he would not have gotten any press time let alone get his job back.  I was a single father with two kids and could not get any compassion or help. It was very frustrating seeing single mons getting help and when I asked for the same help I was told I didn't need it.

Harley Sailor said:
I asked for a timbit for my dog. When they handed it to me I gave it to my girlfriend.

Harley Sailor said:
I was a single father with two kids and could not get any compassion or help.

These incidents related?

.... Would it have made a difference if instead of a timbit, the cashier had given the child a Toonie out of the tip jar ???  out of the till ???

Should it ???

geo said:
.... Would it have made a difference if instead of a timbit, the cashier had given the child a Toonie out of the tip jar ???  out of the till ???

Should it ???

How about 18 cents out of the tip jar?  ;)

Fact of the matter is someone got fired for giving away a timbit to a person at a business where it is accepted practice to give away a timbit to a dog. One gets fired in one case, and praised in the other.

If the toddler had been a dog -- she'd have not lost her job. Hmmm, I can see the twist on this one -- something does not seem quite right with that. Now, perhaps if it was not standard practise for Tim Horton's to give away timbits to dogs ... then justification of firing for "giving away timbits" would make a whole bunch more sense.

... and she could have been a problem employee that the manager was fed up with....

geo said:
... and she could have been a problem employee that the manager was fed up with....
read

between

the

lines

much

?

ArmyVern said:
How about 18 cents out of the tip jar?  ;)

Fact of the matter is someone got fired for giving away a timbit to a person at a business where it is accepted practice to give away a timbit to a dog. One gets fired in one case, and praised in the other.

If the toddler had been a dog -- she'd have not lost her job. Hmmm, I can see the twist on this one -- something does not seem quite right with that. Now, perhaps if it was not standard practise for Tim Horton's to give away timbits to dogs ... then justification of firing for "giving away timbits" would make a whole bunch more sense.

Most Tim Horton's are run as independently owned franchises.  That means most locations have a different owner and different set of rules.  There are standard operations guidlines from head office, however, I doubt that giving dogs timbits is one of them.  The owner of each location would set the policy on such matters.  I didn't get the impression from the article that her location gave them to dogs though.  Even so,if your boss says ok to give them to dogs but not people, who is an employee to question or disobey that? If nothing else, this episode may get the franchisees and head office to develop a common policy on freebies.

geo said:

Well did she have an warnings on her file? If so, then TH PR staff should have stated that: “This unfortunate affair is the end result of long standing problems and we followed the labour code to the letter”

If the boss had not followed proper procedure (as laid out in the company directives) for dealing with a problem employee then the boss is screwed in more ways than one. I have had to fire people, you can be sure that they have had verbal warning, written warning and final notification of firing with the dates of infractions and warnings noted in the letter.

I dated a Timmies girl who worked at the Dartmouth Tim Hortons by the Blockbuster, and it was common practice to give dogs Timbits, until management decided that it was not sanitary for the staff to give the dogs Timbits.  The problem was that most staff would actually give the Timbit directly to the dog.

I wonder if management at this particular Tim Hortons had a policy in place where Timbits are not to be given out.   I realize they shouldn't have to direct their employees not to steal, but come on its pretty much common practice at most Tim Hortons, and if they didn't want employees giving out Timbits then they should have it known to the employees (pure speculation on my part).  

I Dont think that its right to fire someone over a simple 16 cent timbit. but I do think its fair to say there was probabbly more to the issue then the media let on... I have a hard time beliveing that management could be THAT reactionary.....

has to ba a story behind the story as it were.....

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Employee+fired+over+free+Timbit+getting+job+back/Canada/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=CTVNews%2F20080508%2Ftimbit_firing_080508&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

Employee fired over free Timbit getting job back
A London, Ont. woman will be getting her job at Tim Hortons back after being fired for giving a free Timbit to a toddler.
09/05/2008 10:34:26 AM

A statement issued by the company's head office Thursday said the person who fired Nicole Lilliman, 27, went too far and that the single mother of four has been reinstated.

"Unfortunately the action of the manager of this location was not appropriate," the statement read. "With an apology from management Ms. Lilliman has been rehired by the franchisee. We sincerely apologize to our customers for this unfortunate incident."

Tim Hortons customers interviewed in London were less than impressed upon hearing of the firing.

"They're not going to go broke giving a child a Timbit," one woman told A-Channel London. "Shame on them."

Timbits are small balls of glazed dough that sell for $0.16.

Lilliman has said she didn't think much about giving the Timbit to the 11-month-old child, who came in with a regular customer on Monday. She said staff members often give Timbits to pets and children and that she was trying to calm the child.

Lilliman had worked at the store for about three years. She said was greeted by three managers when she arrived at work on Wednesday, who confronted her about the free gift after watching surveillance footage taken in the restaurant.

Uncomfortable with returning to the store from which she was fired, Lilliman will now work at another Tim Hortons location just down the street, company spokesperson Rachel Douglas told the Canadian Press on Thursday.

No decision has been made on whether action will be taken against the manager who fired Lilliman, said Douglas, adding she does not believe the manager's actions are ground for dismissal.

There is currently no company-wide policy on giving away free Timbits.
With files from the Canadian Press

geo said:

Check this article out.

Main point here, emphasis mine:

Lilliman, who said she had a strained relationship with her manager before the incident, said she doesn't want to see her former boss fired but is glad to see Tim Hortons making apologies.

Tommy said:
I Dont think that its right to fire someone over a simple 16 cent timbit. but I do think its fair to say there was probabbly more to the issue then the media let on... I have a hard time beliveing that management could be THAT reactionary.....
has to ba a story behind the story as it were.....
fired for stealing something worth 16 cents ....... although this would appear to be a case of WAAAAY overreacting, I am not in the know of all circumstances behind the firing BUT, Big question is where do you draw the line...

:warstory:  Place I worked some years ago... we had received some promotional merchandise (perfume samples) from one of our suppliers.  The Boss, nice guy that he is, went around and gave all staff one of same said samples.  Couple of hours later, one of the supervisors caught one of the stock room clerks stuffing his pockets with a bunch of these same samples.  "caught in the act" the clerk panicked and bolted... He was brought back to the office, (against his will mind you) and was summarily fired.... which I am sure must've thrilled the fella's wife to no end BUT, we could only ask ourselves, if he took this.... would he take something else of greater value.... So this clerk was fired for stealing samples... and I am cetrain that with suitable media spin, the Boss would be projected as being a real SOB

geo said:
fired for stealing something worth 16 cents ....... although this would appear to be a case of WAAAAY overreacting, I am not in the know of all circumstances behind the firing BUT, Big question is where do you draw the line...

:warstory:  Place I worked some years ago... we had received some promotional merchandise (perfume samples) from one of our suppliers.  The Boss, nice guy that he is, went around and gave all staff one of same said samples.  Couple of hours later, one of the supervisors caught one of the stock room clerks stuffing his pockets with a bunch of these same samples.  "caught in the act" the clerk panicked and bolted... He was brought back to the office, (against his will mind you) and was summarily fired.... which I am sure must've thrilled the fella's wife to no end BUT, we could only ask ourselves, if he took this.... would he take something else of greater value.... So this clerk was fired for stealing samples... and I am cetrain that with suitable media spin, the Boss would be projected as being a real SOB

But, giving away timbits seemed to be accepted, condoned & common practise at THIS particular Time Hortons establishment ...

Lilliman has said she didn't think much about giving the Timbit to the 11-month-old child, who came in with a regular customer on Monday. She said staff members often give Timbits to pets and children and that she was trying to calm the child.

Harley Sailor said:
Come on now.  I find it funny how some women feel that they get treated equal when it comes to compassion.  If it happened to a single father with four kids, you can be sured he would not have gotten any press time let alone get his job back.  I was a single father with two kids and could not get any compassion or help. It was very frustrating seeing single mons getting help and when I asked for the same help I was told I didn't need it.
Two points, one relevant, one not so much... here in New Brunswick (Saint John area at least) you still get a timbit for your dog. Second, men do not get treated with anywhere near the same respect when it comes to raising their children. My ex-wife left me and our 3 children, when given the choice they wanted to stay with me. She moved 100km away and saw our son one weekend a month, our daughters one weekend every 2/3 months (their choice) yet she was still entitled to get the "baby bonus" for 6 months of the year. Once I remarried I was sent a letter stating that since "I was no longer the primary caregiver of the children" (their stepmother was now), I would no longer receive the money and their stepmother would. Now that the kids are older it also has a direct effect on their student loan requests.  AAAaahhhhh..... equality under the law.

Back