• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Slave I Remain

s2184

Inactive
Reaction score
Recently I rejoined in Facebook after six years.

I don't normally write comments on Facebook or hit the Like button, but just watch the news feed.

Today I saw a shared information, & it was asking people not to use "Sir".

The reason given was, "Sir" originally meant to be "Slave I Remain", & initially slaves used it for their superiors everyday.

I wanted to write something about this news item, and posted this comment on Facebook.

######

So it would be appropriate to call the women "SIR", not the men. Lol.

& If "SIR" stands for Slave I remain, what does "Madam" stand for?

I cross Canada-US border two times a week, & use Sir/Madam at least four times/week.

Every time I say Sir/Madam to a customs officer I don't actually want to please the individual but want to honor the country I am entering at each instance instead.

######

Would you like to say anything about "Sir"?

Thank you for your thoughts. :blotto:

Where the hell did you get that garbage from?

Sir comes from Sire which was derived from seigneur.  It was an honorific used for knights and such.  It is still in use by the military and more commonly in everyday use as a sign of respect.

My advice is to stay off the interweb.  It seems to make people stupid sometimes.

Sure maybe it ment that in the slave days but it was used long before then.

The form "sir" is first documented in English in 1297, as title of honor of a knight, and latterly a baronet, being a variant of sire, which was already used in English since at least c.1205 as a title placed before a name and denoting knighthood, and to address the (male) Sovereign since c.1225, with additional general senses of "father, male parent" is from c.1250 and "important elderly man" from 1362.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir

Some people will only pick certain things mostly negative out of history but forget that there is usually a lot more history before that negative event and after.

I just lost a pile of my few remaining functional brain cells reading that.

What a load of crap!  Everybody knows (or at least should know) that the proper expression is:

"Sir, I remain, your humble and obedient servant."

Forget that sir stuff this is important.  I'm raising money to support this young girl with a severely burned face.  Please PM me for an address to send donations to.

qwTjf20.png

Pusser said:
What a load of crap!  Everybody knows (or at least should know) that the proper expression is:

"Sir, I remain, your humble and obedient servant."

That's how we used to finish off our formal letters in the UK:

I have the Honour to be
Sir (or Madame)
Your Obedient Servant
etc

Back