• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

sleeping...?

trigger324 said:
Pretty sure Retired FDO was making that comment in jest, thus the rolling eyes.

Yes I was. 32 years as a Bos'n I'm allowed to be sarcastic!!

Retired FDO said:
Yes I was. 32 years as a Bos'n I'm allowed to be sarcastic!!

32 years as a Bos'n, and you ought to be certified;)

Pat in Halifax said:
Funny enough, the Officer who sailed with myself and my last group of trainees ended up in a mess deck due to a shortage of cabins - He said it was great! Around day 3, he actually asked me if there were lights in 10 mess!

I agree! I lived in 10 mess with the ping bosn's for a summer, and I loved it. Officers aren't suppose to sleep during the day, but who ever notices that there happens to be a couple subbies sleeping in 10 mess at 1300? Also, (those who haven't been in an officer's cabin may not realize this), the bunks in Officer's cabins have no curtains. If you want to keep it dark when others are working, or whatever, you need to make a make-shift curtain out of bungee cords, paracord, and extra wool blankets. In messes, every rack has a curtain.

Lights were never turned on there. No alarm clock EVER went off. It wasn't pretty nice.

Lumber said:
Also, (those who haven't been in an officer's cabin may not realize this), the bunks in Officer's cabins have no curtains. If you want to keep it dark when others are working, or whatever, you need to make a make-shift curtain out of bungee cords, paracord, and extra wool blankets. In messes, every rack has a curtain.

I've never noticed...

Lumber said:
Lights were never turned on there. No alarm clock EVER went off. It wasn't pretty nice.

I enjoyed living with the bosn's for a part of last summer for exactly the reasons you mentioned above + it was quieter. I got a much better sleep there then when I was living with the techs and stokers.

First of all, what language are you guys speaking? Lol. We Army guys always assumed that when it got dark, the ships just dropped anchor, broke out the port and the fishing rods and the guitars, and made merry!! You're denying me the right to think the grass is greener (or the water is bluer) in the senior service! Sheesh!  :p

Yeah, they insist on doing EMATT exercises at night.......whats up with that  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah, they insist on doing EMATT exercises at night.......whats up with that  ;D

I used to LOVE that.  Nothing like a 3 am, North Pacific launch into a no moon night to dip against an EMATT. 

Recover, put the helo to bed, have breakfast and go to the rack?  Not so fast- there is XO's morning prayers first in the Wardroom, then the stewards start to clean, then time for a FIREX...

SeaKingTacco said:
Nothing like a 3 am, North Pacific launch into a no moon night to dip against an EMATT. 

Yeah, its even more awesome when you have a 3 hour transit down and a 3 hour transit back to home plate after 4 hours on an EMATT.

CDN Aviator said:

I wonder if the officer of the watch every knows how much they can piss off the galley and the crew when they do unscheduled OOWMs with out informing the galley who then watches the nights supper end up sculling about the galley...I watched this all go on the Toronto not too long ago! I have never seen a more mad P1 cook in my life! Delayed the feeding of the crew by 2 hours while cooks rushed to put together another meal lol

As well I would like to know what a day worker is and what this elusive animal looks like ? I have often been mistaken as one but I assure you it is a mistake!

Retired FDO I think you were my last Buffer on the Tor!

And why, after the all night EMATTEX, do engineering drills need to be piped on the main broadcast at 0530?  Can the siren call of "Steering Gear Breakdown, Steering Gear Breakdown" not just be yelled in the MCR, since, by definition, it is a drill?  Or do I need to "practice" waking up?

SeaKingTacco said:
And why, after the all night EMATTEX, do engineering drills need to be piped on the main broadcast at 0530?  Can the siren call of "Steering Gear Breakdown, Steering Gear Breakdown" not just be yelled in the MCR, since, by definition, it is a drill?  Or do I need to "practice" waking up?

After my first year at sea I didn't even hear that one anymore...

I don't know if anyone else can agree with me but I have great sleeps at sea, often comparable or better than what I get at home... Dont tell my D9 that though...  >:D

I did ask you to PVT PM me regarg's your other post right.
Scoty B

Re-circ pumps for the JP-5  right above 16 Mess.....gets real loud just as you're trying to sleep coming off the mids.

Halifax Tar said:
As well I would like to know what a day worker is and what this elusive animal looks like ?

JAG Officers while embarked? lol

Snakedoc said:
JAG Officers while embarked? lol

That would make sense! I have only ever seen it once...And it was off Africa, must be indigenous to the flora and the fauna of the area... :nod:

SeaKingTacco said:

From a STP MSEO, because one of the ships a few years ago had mishap with the drill, and when they piped "Engineering Emergency" x2, they didn't hit the main broadcast, they hit the drill button they'd been practicing with.  If navigationally safe, the OOW is supposed to stop the engines, and allow the engineers time to figure out / rectify the problem.  This wasn't done, speed wasn't taken off, and it caused a VERY expensive repair to a GT.  Thus, they now practice exactly the same way they should be reacting in a real emergency. 

Now, what you SHOULD be doing is figuring out why they do the drills at 530, and not 730-8am...  We used to hold off on ours until 730.  Much more civilized...  :)

Back