• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

small question

jerrythunder

Inactive
Reaction score
hi there, i was not shure where i should post this question, i have searched this site looking and have not found an answer so here it goes: has canada ever(excluding the war of 1812) had an actuall military strategic plan for dealing with an invasion from the United States?

The short answer is yes but they were basically dropped in the 1930s.
Defence Scheme 1 written by Col. J. Sutherland-Brown (Dir. Mil. Ops. and Intel.) in 1921  included invasions aimed at Albany, Minneapolis and Seattle. The plan was withdrawn in 1929. There were also probably plans before this as well but until Canada actually had a regular army as opposed to British troops it is hard to regard such plans as Canadian as opposed to Imperial plans.

hmmm that makes sense, Canada did have one of the best military's in the world right after the First World War. but then it shrank back down. seems that we are a country based on: when there is war...... they will come

Actually Defence Scheme Number One was based on the use of one cavalry and eleven infantry divisions of militia to fight a strategic delay until forces could arrive from overseas, i.e. the rest of the Empire. The plan was a non-starter as it failed to take into account the inability of the Royal Navy to keep the sea lanes open following the naval treaties of the early 1920s. which provided total parity in strength between the British and American navies.

As ofr the regular army, during the period between the wars the Canadian regular order of battle consisted of three infantry battalions totalling seven infantry companies, two cavalry regiments, each of two squadrons, a field artillery regiment of three batteries as well as a medium battery and a field company of engineers. All were understrength and the militia only had equipment for four infantry divisions and a cavalry brigade. To make matters worse the regiments/battalions were spread across the counthry, the PPCLI had its headquarters and one company in Winnipeg and the other company in Esquimalt, for example.

Back