• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snow in Toronto... "where is the army?"

Its been pouring non stop today here in Ottawa...I've lived in Ottawa all my life and I have never seen this much snow in my life

Panzer Grenadier said:
Ottawa has almost broken its all time record for snowfall - it was coming down quite a bit last night and most of today.

...and ironically, NDHQ goes on minimum manning to go home early!  ;D

p.s. Tess, I'm with you bro!  Sure my parents came from the prairies and my wife is from BC....and we all know the true centre of Canada is Yathkyed Lake in Nunavut (you all know that, right?), but I do have the specially modified globe, like your's, that spins around N43*38'24" W79*23'12".  ;D

G2G

Danjanou said:
Tess there is only one way to redeem yourself...set up another smoker

YES!!!!
We are definitely overdue.
Do it tess
We'll all be there, you too  ;D

D Squared said:
We'll all be there, you too  ;D

I'm not too sure about that.

We could even hold it in his house, and he'd find some excuse.

Loachman said:

"Hey, I'm not shitting, I've pass so much time to prepared all that, that I REALLY got to go to work..."  :D

Loachman said:
:rofl:
C'mon paesan, time to redeem yourself (and sell some bracelets!)  I 'm sure Danjanou won't mind helping with the recce.

D Squared said:
:rofl:
C'mon paesan, time to redeem yourself (and sell some bracelets!)  I 'm sure Danjanou won't mind helping with the recce.

I can alway hold a snow shovelling party!

I defiantely would not attend, well I would be inside with a pint in my hand watching everyone ;)

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I can alway hold a snow shovelling party!

I defiantely would not attend, well I would be inside with a pint in my hand watching everyone ;)

dileas

tess

You sure you weren't CE in your previous life?

MM

medicineman said:
You sure you weren't CE in your previous life?

MM

Or City of Toronto Public Works Dept  >:D 

Well that was fun a hour of shovelling after enduring the TTC hell home from work. Tess Pint I'll meet you halfway to your hood.

Danjanou said:
Or City of Toronto Public Works Dept  >:D 

Well that was fun a hour of shovelling after enduring the TTC hell home from work. Tess Pint I'll meet you halfway to your hood.

Hehe love to, 

But I just finished some haggis (Honest to God) and I have tucked in with a dram of Whiskey, and some red wine.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Hehe love to, 

But I just finished some haggis (Honest to God) and I have tucked in with a dram of Whiskey, and some red wine.

dileas

tess
Tess

I know you SOP is always to be fashionable late but Robbie Burns days was quite a while ago.

Dileas

Brother

All I know this morning is that, in all it's irony, I almost broke my leg walking to work at Sick Kids because the alleged sidewalk I was walking on wasn't and I missed the curb I couldn't see (and should have been somewhere else).  Just my luck, some good samaritan wannabe would try dragging my ass into the paediatric ER thinking an ER is an ER...

MM

I don't know if it's relate to snow or no, but for 12 hours, the weather was N/A
on the radio-canada web site.

Montreal schools closed over snow-covered roofs from CTV.ca News Staff

Quebec's largest school board has cancelled classes for thousands of students because of the potential dangers posed by snow-covered roofs.

The Commission scolaire de Montreal decided Friday to close more than 150 schools so that workers can clear snow from roofs. "Just before the lunch hour
today it ordered all its schools closed through until Tuesday morning as a preventative measure," CTV's Jed Kahane reported Friday. "That's close to 100,000
students who were told to go home early."

On Wednesday, three women were killed after the roof of a warehouse they were in suddenly collapsed in Morin Heights -- about an hour from Montreal. Since
then, many institutions and buildings have been closed to allow snow to be cleared from roofs. On Thursday, a giant shopping mall outside Montreal decided to
close indefinitely after some cracks appeared in the building's structure, said Kahane.

Other school boards have also been working to clear snow from the roofs of buildings. "No one's saying that a school is about to collapse -- but no one wants
to take any chances, given how serious the consequences can be," said Kahane.

The Commission scolaire de Montreal operates elementary and secondary schools in the city.

Article link

Add :

Montreal outpaces other cities in coverage of snow from The Canadian Press

MONTREAL  -- It seems not even the traditionally snowbound Russians care as much about winter as the Montreal media. Ditto for Toronto, where the army
was once called in to clear city streets.

A recent study indicates Montrealers have been hit by local media with a blizzard of stories about snow. Impending snow. Snow removal. People fed up with snow.
"It's not a language thing,'' said Eric Leveille, general manager of Influence Communication, a media-monitoring firm which did the snow-coverage study for Montreal
La Presse. "It's really a fixation I think we have with the problems that we're having removing the snow. It's not perfect in Toronto. They have issues down there too
but the newspapers don't seem to give as much space to that issue as we do.''

Montreal tut-tutted when Toronto clamoured for troops to clear their streets of snow in 1999. S'no big deal, they harumphed. After all, Quebec's biggest city had
just weathered the 1998 ice storm. Ten years later, Montreal newshounds are beating their colleagues in Toronto and elsewhere when it comes to covering snow
removal. "For every article that's written in English Canada, there's 30 articles written in Quebec,'' Leveille said. "That's way, way out of proportion.''

He says he doesn't know why. "I think complaining about city services is more in fashion here than it is elsewhere.'' He noted some Montreal papers published
what appeared to be entire sections on snow removal at some points. (The firm looked at coverage for a four-week period beginning Jan. 1. Not included are stories
this week on the deaths of three women who were killed when a snow-laden roof collapsed northwest of Montreal). Leveille said hockey was the only other topic that
got more attention in Montreal newspapers during the period that was surveyed.

Quebec City came in second in snow-removal coverage. Ottawa, which is having one of its snowiest winters on record, was third.

Leveille said the firm considered including Boston, Chicago and Detroit but snow removal was not even on the journalistic radar in those cities. "We even looked at
cities in Russia, Germany, northern Europe -- nothing.''

But David Phillips, Environment Canada's senior climatologist, says interest in the weather -- especially among Montrealers -- shouldn't be underestimated. "Weather's
always the No. 1 topic of conversation, whether it be in the Tim Hortons or the Canadian Tire stores, wherever across the country it is,'' he said. "Journalists are only
responding to what their readers want to hear,'' he added. "Canadians don't want to read about scandals in Ottawa. It's about the weather because that matters
to them. "You don't need to be a PhD from MIT to understand the weather, you just have to have lived it,'' Phillips said. "Weather affects us. There's no immunity to it.''

Doing lots of weather stories about Montreal's winter makes sense to him.

Montreal is close to burying a snowfall record set in 1971, he points out. That year, skiers and snowmobilers were seen negotiating city streets. Plus, this year's snow
season began early, in November. Removal has been slow thanks to stretched budgets. Even Mother Nature hasn't been much help getting the snow to melt. "It's been
hanging around a lot, it's been accumulating and it really hasn't disappeared as much as you'd expect for this time of the year.'' He said he did a couple of calculations
on the volume of Montreal's 353 centimetres -- so far -- of snow. "If you melted all of the snow and weighed it, it would be about 1.5 billion tons,'' he said. "That's
a huge amount.'' It could fill the Rogers Centre in Toronto to the brim 900 times.

Phillips says all that snow probably drives people to complain and write letters to the editor. Tolerance has disappeared with the recent mild winters. "More people
complain about the weather now than there used to be,'' he said. "People in the '50s and '60s and '70s, it was this, `Suck it up, it's winter.' ''

Article link

Back