• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snowbird Future

So 165 knots and an unpaved runway. Sounds like a whole lot of pucker factor.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/fighter/f5a-4.jpg

The F-5 is an older aircraft that brought about some interesting changes in the aircraft industry. To compare it to a current in service aircraft is to deny the decades of development and upgrades that separate the two. Just remember that during Vietnam prop driven T-28 Trojans were often times more effective in the CAS role than cutting edge aircraft like the Phantoms. It is interesting how the perception of an aircraft does not truly reflect the ability or quality of the aircraft.
Take the Spitfire, interesting plane, cool elliptical wing. To bad the wing spar is almost impossible to repair or even inspect for corrosion , and the Merlin engine is mounted in one of the most bizarre fashions I have ever seen.

I was talking to a couple of the Snowbirds at the Abbotsford Airshow this weeekend and they were saying there is no plan yet to replace the TuTors at the present time but they thought the Hawk would be a very good choice.
As usual they put on a very good show.
I took photos and will post them when I get the film developed.

Inch,
Our Hawks (Mk 115) are not cleared to carry any weapons...we do have a dummy AIM-9L Sidewinder but is there for show and to balance the ACMI pod out on the other side.  The only stores we are cleared to carry is the centreline fuel tank.  For our air to air and air to ground missions we can simulate carrying weapons but it is just for HUD symbology and attack validation.  In terms of other countries...the UK Hawks (T1s I believe) can carry the ADEN cannon (30mm and mounted on the centreline position) and other air to air/air to ground munitions.

Now we're in trouble....  3 Pilots on these means.

Welcome Corey...  Psst.. This is the guy who used to live at 203 with the Chocolate Lab and Shitzhu.

I'd like to say something useful, but I'm too busy drooling at the pic Mask posted.

Back