• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So far so good

Stopped by the recruitment office today to see if there was any news on whether or not I will be going to ACS...

Well, I am! :) I had to give them three dates of when I could go, so I planned for the 6th ideally because that is during my spring break.

I need to call back in the middle of next week to confirm the dates, and pick up my information booklet.

What great news, I was pretty worried about it. I'm super pumped.

- Zach

Zach15 said:
Stopped by the recruitment office today to see if there was any news on whether or not I will be going to ACS...

Well, I am! :) I had to give them three dates of when I could go, so I planned for the 6th ideally because that is during my spring break.

I need to call back in the middle of next week to confirm the dates, and pick up my information booklet.

What great news, I was pretty worried about it. I'm super pumped.

- Zach

Good for you & good luck. Keep us posted.

Good luck, maybe if my medical comes in soon i'll try for the same one :). Would be cool to do it together

Heck yeah,

It would be wicked to get a few boys from the Army.ca forums to go through the process together.

I'll let ya know the exact booking for me, but It sounded like I would be able to get the 6th of march..

Zach

Zach15 said:
  Heck yeah,

It would be wicked to get a few boys from the Army.ca forums to go through the process together.

I'll let ya know the exact booking for me, but It sounded like I would be able to get the 6th of march..

Zach

Spoke to my File Manager yesterday. I am all set to go, he is going to give me a list of possible dates either this afternoon or Monday. Maybe I will see you guys in Trenton!

Well I failed ACS. I passed Air Nav and I'm thinking about exploring that option. A word of advise to you guys, the most important thing is relax and try your best. Flight Sim 2004  will help get you familiarized with the controls and instruments but thats about it. Good luck with everyone else writing the exam.

Sorry to hear.....

Some big words on the Aircrew medical page... Will be starting the process once my semester is done here at school, Just out of curiosity what exactly do they do for the medicals? I cant understand the blood work and urine test etc... Formerly having a mild seasonal asthma, I am worried about anything that might show up on a test?

Astrodog said:
Sorry to hear.....

Some big words on the Aircrew medical page... Will be starting the process once my semester is done here at school, Just out of curiosity what exactly do they do for the medicals? I cant understand the blood work and urine test etc... Formerly having a mild seasonal asthma, I am worried about anything that might show up on a test?

Do you mean the initial medicals at the CFRC? If so, not much. They weigh you, ask you to walk on your tip toes, then your heels. Move your limbs around, ask you to resist them pushing or pulling, look in your ears and mouth, listen to your breathing, take your blood pressure, ask your medical history and your families, ask about drugs, tattoos. That sort of thing. Nothing extensive really. I am not sure about the asthma though.

ZxExN, sorry to hear. So flight sim was useless eh? I am hoping my PPL training will help but I am not saying it will either. *Gulp*.

BTW, I requested the first three weeks of March and am waiting to hear back. Anyone else going then?

Any tests really, just curious as to how.. errr.. 'invasive' they are... but just talk to a friend who is in the process of getting into med school and she explained alot of them to me... As for my asthma I had it when I was younger, it wasn't an asthma where i would get attacks, just needed to use an inhaler every morn and eve.. more attributable to allergies than anything.. I have grown out of it now, would this be a problem?

Astrodog said:
Any tests really, just curious as to how.. errr.. 'invasive' they are... but just talk to a friend who is in the process of getting into med school and she explained alot of them to me...

It was honestly 10-15 minutes tops. Nothing to worry about.  Ever have a medical done by a family physician? I suppose if you told them you had surgery, psych issues, are taking medication it could be more extensive. Not sure, but it my case it was nothing. If you have a particular issue you should contact the Recruiting Centre and maybe they can answer that question. Just to add, you will also do a hearing test on site. You will then have to do blood work and do a vision acuity test ???). (bring your shades for after and don't plan on reading fine print that day!) In my case the blood, PT and vision test were all done outside of the recruiting centre.

As for my asthma I had it when I was younger, it wasn't an asthma where i would get attacks, just needed to use an inhaler every morn and eve.. more attributable to allergies than anything.. I have grown out of it now, would this be a problem?
I have seasonal allergies and it was nothing more than a note on my med file. I used to get weekly shots when I was a kid for my allergies because they were so bad and it was not an issue. Asthma though...not sure. Definitely call the 1-800 number and ask them (unless someone else can answer that one).

Good luck!

EDIT: One other note - Don't try and hide anything at all during the process whether it be medically or drug use, surgery, whatever. Be open and honest.

Well thats good news, only surgery I've had is for a broken ankle so I'm just (nervously) hoping nothing is found with my heart or eyes that'll squash my dream! thanks for the help..

Astrodog said:
Well thats good news, only surgery I've had is for a broken ankle so I'm just (nervously) hoping nothing is found with my heart or eyes that'll squash my dream! thanks for the help..

That is the hardest part of the process - the stuff you can't control.  :-\

For some reason I wasn't worried about the rest of the process except the medical tests. Just a note, you can get by the initial medical and fail some further medical tests in Toronto as part of ASC. (ECG's, leg measurements - or so I hear). That sort of stuff is obviously out of your control so you just have to do the best you can with everything you can control. But at least you try right? Again, good luck.

MG said:
That is the hardest part of the process - the stuff you can't control.  :-\

For some reason I wasn't worried about the rest of the process except the medical tests.

Couldn't have said it better myself... I am the same way, I've heard a few horror stories of guys that got so far and then got the dreaded call that something showed up on an ECG or further medical... I'm just excited as heck to finish up this term at school and get the whole process rolling! And if it wasn't meant to be, then well... let's not think about that just yet!!

Oh, yeah MG. I am also going the first three weeks of march. I am still waiting to hear back but I specificially requested the week of march 6th-12th, as that is when my spring break is from school.

Would be cool to be at the same one :D

Definitely. My File Manager said we'll see what Trenton has to say. I guess as you mentioned, there are a lot of students looking to get in on the March break so it might be hard to get those times. Looking forward to it! It will definitely be a great experience success or not.
Let me know what week you get and I will do the same.

Astrodog, you have the right attitude in my opinion. In the mean time, just some unwanted advice (only cause I have no idea about you) you can keep building your application (volunteer time, extracurricular activities, building leadership skills) working on PT etc. If you have any questions (whether I am successful or not) send me a PM and I'll answer what I can. I'm no expert by any means, but I can tell you what I went through and let you know what to expect. 

Astrodog said:
Any tests really, just curious as to how.. errr.. 'invasive' they are... but just talk to a friend who is in the process of getting into med school and she explained alot of them to me... As for my asthma I had it when I was younger, it wasn't an asthma where i would get attacks, just needed to use an inhaler every morn and eve.. more attributable to allergies than anything.. I have grown out of it now, would this be a problem?

After they do the medical test they will most likley ask you to have a PFT test done to see that either you still have or do not have asthma.

Look in this topic for more information on asthma ----> http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17925.0.html

- Good Luck
- Usman Syed
:cdn:

I have some blood work scheduled for next week can anyone answer a question about cholesterol on this test.  If my cholesterol is just slightly higher will it be a deal breaker for me getting an ACS date?  I don't know why I am nervous about this I think it is fine but...

Hey mbhabfan - tell you the truth, all I heard from my File Manager "You are medically fit." I have no clue what my blood test results were.

I think Zach can answer since he posted this...

I got a call from the nurse today who reviewed my blood work, and apparently I have 'high-normal' cholesterol. I am really nervous right now because although I know I can fix it by making my eating habits different, I don't want to miss out on the upcoming ACS. I don't really understand it, I mean I have always been very healthy and athletic, involved with sports my whole life including now and it has never affected me. Hopefully my cholesterol levels are still within what is acceptable...

then he had:

Well, I am!  I had to give them three dates of when I could go, so I planned for the 6th ideally because that is during my spring break.

Back