• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So I'm in the market for a new(er) car...any suggestions?

C&P Crusader said:
The Charger would be the 6.1 L....and yes it has fuel economic features.

If I wanted the icon I would buy an original 426 and restore it.

However the price of gas these days....and it's not getting any cheaper.

So how about another car. Anyone have any experience with a hybrid?

How about the Pontiac G6?

Regards

Had one for 2 weeks my first trip to San Diego last year.  It was brand new so i expected alot.  it turned out to be a giant POS.  Things fell apart routinely inside, bad fuel economy, poor performance and not confortable.

Add to that the current troubles i am having with GM i dont recomend the G6

Hmmm....intersting.

Well in line with the G6...what about the Grand Prix or Grand AM for 06?
Regards

G6 is the Grand Am replacement....we had a 97 Grand Am for a bit, POS. Many people I know who have bought GM(especially Pontiac) in the last 10 years or so were hugely disappointed.

I have no first hand experience with it, but I must say from what I've seen second hand, the Camry is an excellent car. My uncle just picked one up for his daughter, 8 years old, 150K Km and it still runs and looks like a charm. One of my friends has an 88 Camry, absolutely no problems. Toyota just seems to build cars that'll take a licking and keep on ticking. They aren't the most exciting things to look at, but odds are it'll still be working in 10 years. Haven't heard anyone say that about domestics.

I just bought a Mazda3 a few weeks back, and its an awesome little car, may be too small for what you're looking at, but the Mazda6 is the big brother, and it seems like a good car, once more no first hand experience, but from what I've read/observed from friends its a nice one. Only thing is, Mazda is partially owned by Ford, so it might not fit what you laid out in the first post there.

I bought a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse last September and it has been the best car i have owned.  Probably not the type you are looking for though.  Their quality has been top-notch and so has their customer service.  Their waranty beats north american manufacturers by a long shot ( 5 years comprehensive, 5 years roadside and 10 years powertrain).  Just siting in it you feel the serious quality difference from my GM POS

Now I know a chief mechanic that works for Chrysler and he has told me about some of the problems with the Mitsu power plants in thier line of cars...

Specifically the 6 cyl. Many problems...to the point that if asked he'll tell you straight out not to buy a car with that specific engine.

So the G6 is a poor replacement for the Grand AM...got it.

What about Hyundai or Kia?

Any experiences with them? Kia is supposed to have a great warrenty....

Regards

C&P Crusader said:
Now I know a chief mechanic that works for Chrysler and he has told me about some of the problems with the Mitsu power plants in thier line of cars...

Specifically the 6 cyl. Many problems...to the point that if asked he'll tell you straight out not to buy a car with that specific engine.

So the G6 is a poor replacement for the Grand AM...got it.

What about Hyundai or Kia?

Any experiences with them? Kia is supposed to have a great warrenty....

Regards

I bought my Eclipse with the MIVEC 4 cylinder....could afford the V6 and the insurance for it

My in-laws have a Kia Sportage SUV and have had nothing but problems with it

Patrolman said:
I traded my VW TDI in January for a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. I got the 2.4 L 5 speed for commuting purposes. I have gotten up to 740 kms to a tank on the highway. It is relatively cheap,has lots of safety features, has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 45 MPG fuel rating, larger than the Camry and Accord, 4cyl is powerful but the V6 has 235hp. My car has almost 6000 kms now and my wife and I love it. I highly reccommend it. As far as quality issues go Hyundai is now tied for second place with Honda and hopes to knock off Toyota in that department this year.

He seems to like the Hyundai. I know no one who actually has one though so I'm gonna shut up.

condor888000 said:
He seems to like the Hyundai. I know no one who actually has one though so I'm gonna shut up.

I bought a 2000 Hyundai Sonata GL in January '06 as a commuter car.  I log about 1000 km a week and it runs like a charm.  The 2.4 litre 4 cylinder gets about 720 km per fill up and it's a very nice ridin' highway car.

Mine came with a kick *** sound system (good for my old ears and my 17 year old son).

GO!!! and others are bang on for VW's.  They're tough (I put 330K on a 1.9L stick Fox) but when they break they break big!

If you're looking at a Camry, the 2007 has been redesigned to not look like your dad's car.  It looks more handsome if that's your thing and it comes in a hybrid model.  You should definitely look at that.

A quick hijack, does anyone have any experience with either the 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD or the Cherolet Impala.

Suzuki Aerio. It's like a Toyota Matrix, but less expensive. Alos it's made in Japan. Keep an eye out for some of the Toyotas that are now made in Korea, the quality isn't as good. If you check the VIN on a car it will tell you where it was made. I know the letter K stands for Korea and I think it's the first letter in the VIN.
All the best,
Bart

My exp. with Hyundai...

Of course my buds are picking on me (remember the pony/stellar/excel) era?
Now check on reliability reports on the consumer reports web site...
They claim... NOT ME, that quality went right up and now, it's a pretty good alternative to other japanese brands.

Now me.
Got a 2002 Accent, with the twin-cam engine (1.6l). Good stuff, but small and a little heavy on gas...
Traded it in for an other Hyundai, the Elantra (2004). I love it. 5 speed, 2.0L twin-cam (V-TEC type). 650 km on a tank (hilly terrain-highways).
Apparently, it's a best buy. To me, it is. Cheap, but the feel is not, passing power is great (ok, not a mustang...).
Warranty is great.

Mine... no cash down, 0% interest rate, 360$ a month for 5 years.
I seen a lot of 1998-1999 Elantras on the streets with no rust on them, so I hope for the best.
Anyway ,I like it.
BTW, I'd like to get a BMW M6.... can't afford it. For now, I drive an affordable (and reliable) Hyundai.

What I say is...search the net for reliable sources, check on consumers reviews ,owners reviews, then make your mind.
Sorry ,I'd rather to drive an Hyundai than a GM these days.

My own crappy opinion!

C&P Crusader said:
The Charger would be the 6.1 L....and yes it has fuel economic features.

If I wanted the icon I would buy an original 426 and restore it.

However the price of gas these days....and it's not getting any cheaper.

So how about another car. Anyone have any experience with a hybrid?

How about the Pontiac G6?

Regards

Wait for the 2007 Challenger if you want to stay MOPAR.  I have my 73 Charger stuffed in the garage right now, 440 and 8 mpg sucks...literally, but a blast nonetheless.  The Challenger will be sweet, apparently the 6-speed is coming with the 6.1 Hemi.

I must be the odd man out on the TDI, 2001 5-sp, 1000km per tank city, 1250-1300km highway.  Only issue was the MAF burned out, car went into limp mode, I bought an MB E320CDi MAF, and I'm good to go.  Just to be clear, I wrench all my own cars so I don't interact with dealers.

Cheers,
Duey

I have my 73 Charger stuffed in the garage right now,

Duey- How did I just know that you still had that Charger...If you went up Recruit Hill with that thing 5 mph faster in 1986, you would still be in low Earth orbit.

I'm going to put an early defence in on the VW.  My wife and I have a 2005 VW Jetta TDI wagon and have not had a problem in 23K.  The Wagons are made in Wolfsburg, not Mexico so there may be quality control differences.  Anyway, we came across Canada this summer from Victoria to Halifax, loaded to the rafters, with lots of touristy type city driving- on 440 litres.  Made it from Ottawa to Fredtown on one tank o' diesel.  No issues, whatsoever (knock on wood).

We found the service excellent in Naniamo (where we bought it) and at the Dartmouth VW.  Admittedly, the service sucked in Victoria, which, coincidentally, also is a Porsche dealer.  My thoughts- don't deal with a VW dealership that also sells Porsche- you will finish second everytime at the service department.

Back to the car- we found it has tons of power and rides well.  The interior is a bit small for a tall guy like me, so the backseat is basically useless when I'm driving.  Supposedly, the 2006's are 8 inches longer, which gets rid of that problem.  I have heard about the electrical system issue with lights burning out, but it has not happened to us.

Oil changes are twice as expensive.  The oil is $10/litre and a wierd synthetic that only comes from VW.  On the other hand, you only have to get a oil change every 16K, which is more than double what I do on my also trouble free 2001 Nissan XTerra (love the truck- hate the mileage.  Doesn't get driven alot at $1.18/litre).

Cheers!

I don't know if you ever considered Subaru's, but they are great vehicles.

My mom just bought a brand new impreza, loves it. The Legacy is a slightly larger sedan that we test drove. Also nice.

Don't discount the new "Chevy's." They are really Diawoo's in disguise. Excellent quality (for the price range). I've got an Aveo 5 (Suzuki Sprint/Pontiac something or other) that has gone cross country a couple of times now. Not a flat tire, not an issue with anything (and being a typical mechanic, I'm a little hard on my vehicles). Also getting 500km from a 40 L tank. It was a little iffy coming across the prairies in a wind storm, but for a basic commuter car (w/upgraded stereo), can't beat it. Something interesting, not being a typical Chev product, there is no governor/fuel limiter on it (190 kph in somewhere in Saskabush, hard on gas though). $225/month, 4 years.

ninerdomestic runs its big brother, Optra sedan. Also from "Chevy International" (i.e. Diawoo). Had one issue with it the first winter. Seems in Korea, when they were told to Canadianize the cars, they just upped the concentration of coolant vs water (the long life stuff). Problem was, this turns into gel at -30C. Not real good. Took the dealer two complete flushes (two days apart) to get all the gel out and put new coolant in. Other than that, it also has gone literally cross country, summer and winter. About 550+km for a 45 L tank. $275/month, 4 years.

Both have been excellent cars, mine fits a 2 ruck sacks, 2 barrack boxes  and 2 kit bags nicely (with 2 people up front, one of them 6'4" and comfortable), while the big car fits the family and groceries nicely. Nothing has broken yet, so I can't comment on parts price. Cup holders in the Optra do suck though, mine are much better.

I would say I agree with the appraisal of the Pontiac line of cars thus far except for the brand-new G5's and G6's...

A very good friend of mine told me out of domestic cars, even though that line just came out he hasn't seen more than a couple yet and even then only for regular things like oil changes etc... He works in a very busy shop. He said he could see issues with some of the advanced features of the G6 in the future though because of the way the "sun roof" works and the electric moving pedals. Also mentioned that if your electric power steering ever fails you'll be paying out the wazzoo for it. It's not a hydraulic steering system, electric sort of like an F-16's electronically controlled and augumented control surfaces.

I personally would grab a G6 in a hearbeat if I had the cash. Beautiful looking car and it's got some balls to say the least, I think the GT version has a 3.8L V6 with like 280hp or something like that. Good enough to jockey whatever position on the highway you want that's for sure.

G5= Grand AM
G6= Grand Prix

Basically...

http://www.pontiac.com/g6/index.jsp

R031 Pte Joe said:
G5= Grand AM
G6= Grand Prix

No. The G5 is actually the G5 Pursuit, the practical twin of the Chevy Cobalt and the Sunfire/Cavalier replacement. The G6 is the Grand Am replacement, and you can still buy Grand Prix's new at the moment.

http://www.gm.ca/english/vehicles/pontiac/index.jsp

Take a look at the list of vehicles on the side. Grand Prix, G6 and G5 Pursuit are all seperate cars.

As somebody who has been racing Mitsubishi-powered vehicles for almost a decade... you can't hurt a Mitsubishi engine. They're indestructable. They take absolutely stupid levels of abuse and never complain.

The race car has a 2 litre turbocharged 4G63 4-banger in it, and it makes a dyno-verifiied 350 HP at the wheels, 26 PSI of boost and turns 7800 RPM. And get this - stock bottom end. Never had the valve cover off until the last season, when I did some preventative maintainence just to be safe (water pump, oil pump, timing belt)

The Neon/SX2.0/PT Cruiser line are actually tough, scrappy little cars. Neons make good race cars and are nearly as hard to kill as Mitsubishis.

It's too bad Canada doesn't get the EVO.... but if you don't mind the (comparitive) lack of power, the Mitsu Lancer is OK.

A recent low-milage lease-return SX 2.0 - especially if you can find one with the 150hp R/T motor - is a good choice. And for pure giggles, the 2.4l turbo SRT-4 is a hoot and a half.

DG

I am in the car shopping process as well. I have really been considering a Lancer lately. A friend has one and he loves it, and I fell in love with the car myself. Anyone  have any input or opinions on the lancer? I see RecceDG touched a little on it, but I was hoping for some more info.

Condor - how do you find your Mazda 3 so far? I am also interested in this car.

Thanks.

Back