• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So long Lance Armstrong

Black Watch

Inactive
Reaction score
After winning the Ironman triathon and fighting cancer, Lance Armstrong leaves professional cycling. He won the most prestigious cycling race, le Tour de France 7times. Amazing, isn't it?

I think Lance Armstrong is one amazing man. I don't know how he continued to excel like that after his battle with cancer. That is quite the accomplishment!! 7 wins of Le Tour de France...WOW! Cancer is a cause I hold dear to my heart. Losing my dad to cancer was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. Seeing someone like Lance overcome cancer and then go on to win these Tour de France's is quite the inspiration. I have wore my Livestrong bracelet with pride, and will continue to do so! Congrats Lance!!

some have suggested that cancer made him a better rider.  While undergoing treatment, he lost lots of upper body mass, which makes him lighter and faster on the hills. I have also heard that because he was much weaker when he got over cancer, he had to change his riding style.  He did not has as much strength, so he had to pedal in a lower gear at a higher cadence, which makes for quicker acceleration. 

It is an interesting theory. 

He had testicular cancer which metastasized into his lungs AND brain: a lot of doctors (including his own) figured that by all rights he should be dead ... it is a miracle that he is even alive.  His post-cancer recovery basically rebuilt his body (from skin and bone) for the single prupose of winning the Tour.

Not to take anything away from him, but he has never won the Ironman (nor ever been in it, AFAIK): he was US Junior Triathlon Champion and won the World Cycling Championships once before he was diagnosed (sorry to nitpick).  Still, his recovery and tour wins (even ignoring that he beat cancer, he is the greatest TdF Champion of all time) defy superlatives.

Get his DNA and start making super-soldiers.  Cheers to one of the world's best examples of a survivor! 

Just to clarify a couple of things about Lance's career...

Lance has never done an Ironman triathlon, but if he ever decides to my money is on him to win.  Unless it's the Hawaii Ironman, in which case I would peg him for a top-10 finish.

Lance was never the US junior champion.  In 1988 at Boca Raton he won the US Professional Sprint Championships.  It was a 500m swim, 20 k bike, and a 5 k run.  He was 16 at the time, and beat the best in the world.  I remember seeing him at another race that summer (I used to be a pro triathlete back in tha day), and while there was physically nothing remarkable about his appearance, he had a certain presence that made people pay attention when he was around. 

In his first year as a professional road cyclist, he won the US professional championships and a seemingly impossible trifecta of very high level races that offered a $1 million prize to any cyclist who could win all 3 races.  He also won a stage in his first Tour de France.

He won the world championships in his second year as a pro on a brutal day in Oslo, after crashing 3 times during the race.

In 1998, in his first year back after surviving cancer, he placed 4th in both the road race and the individual time trial at the World Championships. 

Personally I hope he goes into politics.  I would love to see POTUS as another title to add to his resume.

On Lance's early career:

Triathlon - Competed in the IronKids series.

Why this sport: After getting involved in swimming at age 14, he saw a newspaper ad for a mini triathlon for juniors, bought his own bike and kept riding. His desire to compete in the Olympics made him continue riding at a competitive level.

Most influential person: Mum, Linda WALLING. That incident was very symbolic of our relationship in that we have grown up together and are very close. Yes, she is very important as an overall force in my life. She hasn't contributed in a training or racing sense to my cycling, just as an influence while growing up, displaying her strength and courage.

Most admired person: I was a triathlete, so I looked up to Mark ALLEN and Dave SCOTT.

Major awards: Named 1988 Rookie of the Year by Triathlete magazine.

Won the National Sprint Triathlon Championships in 1989 and 1990.

United States Amateur Champion in 1991.

Sports personality of the year by Reuters, the international news service.

Velonews 1995 American Male Cyclist of the Year.
http://eurocyclingnews.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1041&p=2&stid=8001039

He won the National Sprint Trithlon Championships in 1989 when was still a Junior (my mistake, and I suppose there's a pretty big difference between being the Junior Champion and being the Champion as a Junior!): I don't know anything about Boca Raton.

Back