• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Social Worker Officer occupation

• Thread starter reality_therapy
  • Start date
I am just wondering if there is anyone going through the recruiting process for Social Work Officer - subsidization of MSW route. I'm accepted to an MSW program and have made it through the CFAT, interview testing etc and am hoping to make the board in June. I am confused though because I don't think there will be enough time to do the Officer Basic before September. Do you need to complete the course before you begin your period of subsidization? The recruiting centre was unable to answer the question for me. I would love to hear if anyone has been through this. I am super excited about the possibility of a career as a social worker in the CF. Thanks~

No you don't have to have your BOMQ completed before becoming subsidized.  Almost all ROTP candidates enter their first year now with only a short two or three week orientation course and some due to other issues don't do this at all so it should be good.

Armysailor: I got accepted to schools out East and West, so I will go wherever they tell me if they take me  :). I saw a previous post of yours and I would strongly reccomend a placement in adult mental health during your undergrad. I was told they like to see at least 3 years experience in that area.

Hi Socialbutterfly, I'm wondering if you can shed some light for me since you seem to be about a year ahead of me in this whole process. I'm beginning an MSW program in Fall of 2012 and planning to begin the application process for SWO in January. I'm a little concerned about the 3 years of experience requirement - I'm entering my MSW program without a BSW - I have a BA (Hon) and an MSc. How much emphasis do they place on this requirement? I have no clinical experience but do have mental health experience; however, it is all research-related. Thoughts?

Also, would love if you could provide updates along the way of your process.

I'm interested in this myself. I'm hoping to do an MSW in a year or so, since my MA in Sociology hasn't exactly opened many employment doors, despite the fact that it specialized in Mental Health Policy and Practice and Healthcare Policy and Practice.

My question is: what are my odds of getting a Social Work placement in the CF if I get my MSW?

Probably very good. The CF is almost always looking for social workers. The only challenge is predicting future demand, but you're probably OK.

We have 37 Social Work Officer positions in the CF all ranks.

We loose, historically, between two and four SWO's per year.

We are doing a bit of and increased targeted SWO hiring right now because we are critically short.  If this targeted recruitment strategy works then we will return to normal recruitment forecasts. 

Recruitment numbers for DEO SWO's for FY 12/13 and 13/14 will be in the low, low single digits (1,2,3) according to the MOSID advisor.  The balance of other positions will be filled from within the CF from people who are qualified to CT/OT and have current experience in the CF.

Two things that *could* increase this rates of recruitment are:

1) the current targeted SWO hiring plan fails and needs to be carried into FY 12/13 and 13/14, or
2) the change of establishment is approved to increase the number of SWO's from 37 to 48. 

I hope that is of some interest.  I recommend contacting the CFRC closest to you for the most accurate reccomendations.

MC 

So I have read all the posts from 2004 to recently the Fall 2011 about social workers joining the CF.

The threads seem to have run dry and I was wondering if any can give anymore updates?

I'm at the start of my application...I have applied to a Masters program and will be contacting the CF recruitment office in New Westminster or Vancouver in the next week or so regarding the application process.

Wondering if there are any other CF SWers or applicants out there now?

CB

Hi,

I am in school right now (MSW) training to be a CF social worker. Send me any questions you have through a PM. I would be happy to answer them. Cheers~

According to the vidio at Forces.ca, you have to have a Bachelor of social work. I might be studying psychology (again). Would that work instead of bachelor of social work?
                                                              Thanks  ;)

Agreed... in order to be a Social Worker, you need to have been educated in social work.

MC

I'm pretty sure you have to have a Masters in Social Work, not just a Bachelor. But you can apply for the military to pay for your Masters in Social Work if you are already accepted into a program.

Whoops, that's wrong. I asked some similar questions in a thread earlier about Social Worker, hope this link works:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99642/post-1022241.html#msg1022241

Good Luck!

Delaney1986 said:
I'm pretty sure you have to have a Masters in Social Work, not just a Bachelor. But you can apply for the military to pay for your Masters in Social Work if you are already accepted into a program.

Whoops, that's wrong. I asked some similar questions in a thread earlier about Social Worker, hope this link works:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99642/post-1022241.html#msg1022241

Good Luck!

Straight from the recruiting page:

To be eligible for selection as a Social Work Officer, you need to possess a Bachelor's of Social Work (BSW) or a Master's of Social Work (MSW) degree. If you only have a BSW, the CF does subsidize the MSW for selected candidates and therefore, you will need proof that you are accepted without any condition in a MSW program, in an accredited social work school at a Canadian university (the accreditation is from the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work).

CDN Aviator said:
Straight from the recruiting page:

Yupp....and that's also in the link that I provided, also an explanation of why you are required to possess a Masters and why the military can't subsidize a Bachelor of Social Work but can a Masters of Social Work.

I edited my comment because others had previously used better sources than my word of mouth.

HopefulA.B. said:
According to the vidio at Forces.ca, you have to have a Bachelor of social work. I might be studying psychology (again). Would that work instead of bachelor of social work?
                                                              Thanks  ;)

If you're studying psychology, look at Personnel Selection Officer.

MM

Hi all, it's been a while! I've recently been accepted into the Master of Social Work program at the local university. Since I already have a Master's in Sociology with my thesis being in an examination of the role of physicians' discretion in medical practice and policy in acute and chronic psychiatric care (kind of a mouthful ;) ),  I wanted to take it to the next level and do a MSW and apply what I've learned on a practical basis. I initially want to do clinical social work where I get to work with the mentally ill (including PTSD patients), the addicted or those with concurrent disorders. I want to do at least part of my work with the CF and while I know that there have been a few threads about Social Work Off'rs, I just need some further clarification as to what this trade with entail that differs it from civvie social work. If I'm going to join with the intent of doing Social Work within the CF, I just really need to know what to expect, not for myself, but so I can do an effective job at my position. I recall a post from ages ago indicating that Social Work positions within the CF are few and far between. I would prefer to be military personnel as opposed to a civilian, if at all possible, but quite frankly, I just want to do my part in helping our vets.

BED,

The CF is hiring Social Work Officers and they are in demand currently.  If you have been accepted to a MSW program then it might be possible that the CF would pay for grad school tuition, books, and give you a salary while in school as part of the enrollment.  I recommend that you speak directly with the Social Work Recruiting Officer, Captain MacFarlane at jack.macfarlane [ a t ] forces.gc.ca or 416-937-4884. He will be able to give you some of the details of CF Social Work and put you in touch with other serving Social Work Officers that you can speak with and discuss the work.

What I do know is this.  Social Work Officers for the most work in base / wing medical clinics, both as clinicians and in leadership positions. They are busy and do valuable work in the Canadian Forces Health Service.

In your work you will deal with both CF members AND their families, which is a little different then the rest of the CF Health Services that only deal with the member for the most part. You will assist them in working though situational crisis and medical conditions that impact their ability to serve Canada. You will work with the members chain of command and other clinicians to ensure the member looked after and employed properly while they are returning to full function or are being released. You also will conduct some outreach education programs as a preventive strategy on things like family violence, stress management and suicide.

Some of the common topics of social work involvement are marriage problems, gambling, addictions, coping with illness / injury, death of a loved one, family violence, pre/post deployment screening and problem management, social issues affecting posting, etc, etc.  Most Social Work Officers I know enjoy working in the CF more so than having a civilian practice.

Good luck and happy researching,

MC

Back