• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SOF Forces: Army, Joint or something different

Just a Guy

Inactive
Reaction score
As we look back on  two years of transformation, it appears that the raging debate of what we want our SOF elements to be  will continue. As an illustrative point we see the Army continuing to position itself as being the more efficient purveyor of "Tier 2" elements.  This raises an interesting question...what do we want our SOF elements to be ? Culture, capability and employment are all products of the Force Generator philosophy. Although the original (today's original) elements of CANSOFCOM (DHTC) are mostly Army produced nobody could for a moment mistake this unit as anything Army like.....

So do we truly have a need ? If so for what and from who ??

Just a Guy

With the notable exception of 427 SOAS, all CANSOFCOM units could be considered "purple" (i.e. drawn from any trade/environment/element of the CF).

Just a Guy said:
As an illustrative point we see the Army continuing to position itself as being the more efficient purveyor of "Tier 2" elements.

That the SOF working environment seems to draw mostly Army types doesn't mean that CANSOFCOM units are "Army-like". The "Tier 2" CSOR is located at an Army base.  But it is not an Army unit.  The deduction that CANSOFCOM units are Army is more a product of, as I said, that lifestyle being attarctive to soldiers and the demographics of the CF.  The Army is simply the biggest of the three environments.  It would stand to reason that the Army would be best positioned to conttribute the largest number of members to CANSOFCOM.

I don't quite know where you're going with this "non-issue" but filling out your forum profile might help us understand your line of questioning a bit better.

Just a Guy said:
As an illustrative point we see the Army continuing to position itself as being the more efficient purveyor of "Tier 2" elements. 

I do not believe that to be true. The army has enough problems being the army to dive into SOF like capabilities. What "tier 2" capabilty is the army attempting to achieve?

Who are you anyways?

SOFCOM ≠ LFC
Therefore, it is not Army.

I am not actually going anywhere with the issue, I was merely interested in people's opinion as it continues to be a debate for the CF within certain circles.  The history of SOF elements around the world suggest that the initial difficulties of gaining an understanding of who and what these people are, and what we want them to do and be are common throughout.

Although I don't have a tremendous exposure to this site I have already determined a couple of things, namely: people are emotionally and intellectually engaged; they are willing to share thier opinion including pushing back as required, and lastly given the forum it allows people a degree of honesty which infers you are hearing what they actually think.  I work in Ottawa and these character traits are not universally held in high esteem.

All of this is tremendously useful if you truly want to challenge your own conceptions.  By filling out more detail I worry that it would create a lens through which you would judge or view my comments. It doesn't take too long ( horrible response to some cadets, deterioration of comments when dealing with JTF 2 etc etc) to learn that evaulating comments purely on their own merit has a simplicity that appeals to me.  For example if I were an Ocdt or a General or a CWO surely you would consider my views differently... I prefer for the words and thoughts to speak for themselves.

After all, ..... I'm

Just a Guy

Just a Guy said:
All of this is tremendously useful if you truly want to challenge your own conceptions.  By filling out more detail I worry that it would create a lens through which you would judge or view my comments. It doesn't take too long ( horrible response to some cadets, deterioration of comments when dealing with JTF 2 etc etc) to learn that evaulating comments purely on their own merit has a simplicity that appeals to me.  For example if I were an Ocdt or a General or a CWO surely you would consider my views differently... I prefer for the words and thoughts to speak for themselves.

An interesting observaton.  But, to be fair, you know who I am (within forum parameters) and that gives me a certain amount of credibility when posting.  Should you not extend the same professional courtesy to others?

To quoute St. Micheal's Medical Team:

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Who are you anyways?

Haggis,  Not totally sold on this idea, but I have updated to reflect that I am an Officer, serving in Ottawa with 24 years and happily counting.

Just a Guy

Just a Guy said:
Not totally sold on this idea, but I have updated to reflect that I am an Officer, serving in Ottawa with 24 years and happily counting.

Little steps.... now back to the topic at hand.

Back