• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some questions about recruiting process. Officer.

cotea

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm considering applying for Infantry Officer. I printed the 3 basic forms and filled them out and I'm trying to gather the remaining items before heading to a recruiting center. Here's my questions:

1- What else should I bring? Birth cirtificate, mine only or family as well? I live far from my family and I don't have direct access to their cirtificates. Passport? I have my Bachelor degree diploma, do I need any other university school papers? Is there a list somewhere of all the accepted Universities (I did my degree at Sheridan College)?

2- The type of degree you have achieved in school, does it directly affects the chances of being recruited as Infantry/Armour/Artillery Officer?

3- I contacted 5 references and wrote them down. I read somewhere that you may need to have known them for over 5 tears in you're applying for Officer. Is this true? If so, what else should I consider if applying for Officer.

4- As an Officer going through training and then graduating, how often do you actually get to command a unit in combat as opposed to be doing paper work. Are you selected during training for various positions or tasks? Is it just a question of luck?

5- How long can someone wait before he is accepted and begins training? More specificaly for an Officer.

6- During training, can you wear non-issued clothing UNDER your military gear? May it be a thermal layer for comfort or something alike.

Thanks,

A.

cotea said:
I'm considering applying for Infantry Officer. I printed the 3 basic forms and filled them out and I'm trying to gather the remaining items before heading to a recruiting center. Here's my questions:

1- What else should I bring? Birth cirtificate, mine only or family as well? I live far from my family and I don't have direct access to their cirtificates. Passport? I have my Bachelor degree diploma, do I need any other university school papers? Is there a list somewhere of all the accepted Universities (I did my degree at Sheridan College)?

If you read the instructions given with the Application Form, you will clearly know what to bring. 

cotea said:
2- The type of degree you have achieved in school, does it directly affects the chances of being recruited as Infantry/Armour/Artillery Officer?

Not really.  If you were to have choosen another Trade, it may. 

cotea said:
3- I contacted 5 references and wrote them down. I read somewhere that you may need to have known them for over 5 tears in you're applying for Officer. Is this true? If so, what else should I consider if applying for Officer.

This again is quite clearly stated in the instructions on how to fill out your forms.

cotea said:
4- As an Officer going through training and then graduating, how often do you actually get to command a unit in combat as opposed to be doing paper work. Are you selected during training for various positions or tasks? Is it just a question of luck?

We have quite a few Topics that cover these matters in detail.  Depending on what Trade you want to apply for, of if you haven't yet decided, you may want to read some of them to get a better idea of what to expect.

cotea said:
5- How long can someone wait before he is accepted and begins training? More specificaly for an Officer.

This topic should answer your question:  TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________

cotea said:
6- During training, can you wear non-issued clothing UNDER your military gear? May it be a thermal layer for comfort or something alike.

The CF really doesn't care what you wear next to your skin under the Uniform.  They will issue all that you need to wear as under garments, but if you don't prefer to wear it, then that is your choice.

cotea said:
I'm considering applying for Infantry Officer.

Thanks,

A.

Good reply George, but you forgot.

If applicable, it is strongly advised that all Leopard Pattern Thongs or alike be left at home due to the general concern they might provoke. ;D

Cheers.

;D

I really didn't want to have to spell out that one could wear such things as women's lace panties, as I thought this quote more suitable, but left it out.

CDN Aviator said:
ladies and gents, i give you......our future leaders.

God help us all.

I find it simply amazing at what our institutes of higher learning are producing these days.  It makes me think that many of us who graduated from earlier educational systems must now be privy and qualified to joining MENSA.
:nod:

George Wallace said:
;D  ... It makes me think that many of us who graduated from earlier educational systems must now be privy and qualified to joining MENSA.

- Our modesty doesn't appear to have suffered much, either.

8)

George Wallace said:
;D

I really didn't want to have to spell out that one could wear such things as women's lace panties, as I thought this quote more suitable, but left it out.

I find it simply amazing at what our institutes of higher learning are producing these days.  It makes me think that many of us who graduated from earlier educational systems must now be privy and qualified to joining MENSA.

Good one George, as usual you are right on the money.

Cheers.

TCBF said:
- Our modesty doesn't appear to have suffered much, either.

8)

;D  That is usually checked at the towel rack beside the shower room door. 

George Wallace said:
If you read the instructions given with the Application Form, you will clearly know what to bring. 

Not really.  If you were to have choosen another Trade, it may. 

This again is quite clearly stated in the instructions on how to fill out your forms.

We have quite a few Topics that cover these matters in detail.  Depending on what Trade you want to apply for, of if you haven't yet decided, you may want to read some of them to get a better idea of what to expect.

This topic should answer your question:  TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________

The CF really doesn't care what you wear next to your skin under the Uniform.  They will issue all that you need to wear as under garments, but if you don't prefer to wear it, then that is your choice.

Thanks George.

I did read the forms but I was reading topics on the forum where some of those points were debated (the references).

**One last thing I'm uncertain about is if my diploma is considered a "Original transcript for your level of education".

You will have to get an original Transcript from your Registrars office and bring it in to the CFRC.  They will photo copy it and return the original to you.  Your diploma is not required.  The transcript of all your marks is.

Your Diploma is proof of education. We need the transcript so we can see how well you did. It go towards your position on the merit list. I'm not going to explain the merit list it's out there somewhere.

I hit send without looking. GW is right, your transcripts are all we need they say whether you graduated or not. Bring in all transcripts from any school, High school college, any night courses. It all helps. Better too much than not enough.

I have everything ready except the birth certificate and it looks like it'll take about 3-4 weeks before I get it. More waiting..

edit:
FDO said:
I hit send without looking. GW is right, your transcripts are all we need they say whether you graduated or not. Bring in all transcripts from any school, High school college, any night courses. It all helps. Better too much than not enough.

Ah, also. The High School transcript is definitly required? I'll have to order a copy since it's from a different province.

cotea said:
I have everything ready except the birth certificate and it looks like it'll take about 3-4 weeks before I get it. More waiting..

edit:
Ah, also. The High School transcript is definitly required? I'll have to order a copy since it's from a different province.

Yes, for some reason they're worried about how you did in High School, even if they knew you did well in university. I'm sure this is one of those things that the individual recruiters would love to forgo, but the system would not at this time allow them to do so.

We use high school marks as well as university to figure out your military potential. This helps us with your placing on the merit list.

FDO said:
We use high school marks as well as university to figure out your military potential. This helps us with your placing on the merit list.

Can you elaborate on the merit list? Or perhaps redirect me where I can get more info on this? Thanks.

A.

FDO said:

Yes, that would be the "for some reason".  I would presume that the high school marks are a lower factor than your university marks? I suppose it could be useful for determining ties, but frankly I'd be annoyed if I learned that someone else was chosen above me because they did better in high school than me, despite me having done better in the much more difficult level of education.

gcclarke said:
Yes, that would be the "for some reason".  I would presume that the high school marks are a lower factor than your university marks? I suppose it could be useful for determining ties, but frankly I'd be annoyed if I learned that someone else was chosen above me because they did better in high school than me, despite me having done better in the much more difficult level of education.

Indeed. I think my GPA was around the same back then so it won't matter in my case. But I believe they are complete seperate models of education and should be analysed as such. I know people who did great in High School but terrible in Uni. And vice versa.

Its difficult to explain the application process. There is so much involved in getting an applicant from the street to enrolment. In a nutshell the merit list tells us that you are done processing and ready for a job offer. All the info you give us goes towards rating you alongside everyone else who has applied for your occupation. Hence your placement on the "merit list". If you want me to try to explain this in more detail send me a PM.

cotea said:
IAh, also. The High School transcript is definitly required? I'll have to order a copy since it's from a different province.

If you went to university directly from high school, and are not that far removed from your high school graduation (i.e. you are 21, 22 years old) then it wouldn't hurt to get it.  Although, I can't imagine they would stop your application for lack of, but why take a chance?

They might not care. They didn't for me, but then my situation is atypical.  I dropped out of high school, but that was over 12 years ago.  it is likely they no longer saw the relevance of my high school transcripts.

Back