• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Somethings to keep an eye on

Franko, Buzz,

Nice reading the slams, feels like old times.

Particularly enjoyed reading how "old" ya are...

Not to burst your bubble, but you can tell folks of an old fart ya met on the net who actually remembers marching out the centurions, and bringing in the leopards. I "stood up" B sqn 8CH (rebadged to C Sqn RCD a year later) just prior to the first Leo‘s arriving.

(UFI- the Battle Captain rode the water trailer for the parade)

More UFI- I went to Halifax and brought three brand new leo‘s off the container ship, and back to gagetown via the railway.

They were pretty cool back then.

Glad to see the Corps is doing fine....

Cheers-Garry

Garry...you must know Joe Cloak...man‘s older than dirt.

As for the water trailer story...heard stories from Joe.

The corps isn‘t doin‘ all that grate. Getting POS for a replacement "tank". Under funded BIG time now.

Gettin‘ mad just thinkin‘ of all this crap.

Glad your havin‘ a good laugh at Bzzz‘s expence

:D

Cheers

Listening to you guys makes me ALMOST miss the Corps...ALMOST.

Here‘s a story.

I was at TO&E in Gagetown when they tested the Cougar M36E4 sight at night. They were supposed to spot a Leo advancing on a battle run toward them.

They spent some time peering through the sight, then the WO in charge of the whole thing gets them to pop the hatch and stand up.

The Leo was sitting 4 meters away after having advanced undetected right up to them.

Canada bought the site anyway.

Slim

Franko- Joe‘s still alive? Say Hi if he‘s around :)

The vehicle issue was alive and well when I joined-we had (iirc) 500 Centurions, went to 120 leopards,(to fulfill NATO commitments) with three regt‘s worth of "tank trainers" (Cougars)to keep the armoured skills alive until we could buy more tanks- (never happened) ...now we‘re losing the Leo‘s and going to something else. The actual vehicle/weaponsystem doesn‘t much concern me,( as long as it works ok) as we‘ll develop tactics and doctrine to support what we fight, but the numbers of systems shock me.

Slim- none of the sighting systems on the Cougar were worth a pinch of salt- if it rained, you could guarantee several sights were fogged- though we had work-arounds. I did the trials on a slaved/stabilised Leo CC sight in the early 80‘s- worked fine, but was considerd too "high tech"...sometimes we‘re our own worst enemies.

A Regiment isn‘t made up of kit, that‘s called a warehouse. A Regiment is a group of people. A good Regiment is more like a family.

Sounds to me like the "family" has some good folk left.

Keep smiling, it‘s a good life!

Cheers-Garry

Garry
I never was "lucky enough" to spend any time in Cougars. All my time was on tracks.
That being said...ever tried to drive a Lynx or 113 in the rain or hatches down? Since you probably have I‘ll spare you the grusome details on how much you can‘t see and just express some appreciation for a fellow zipperhead who definetly "gets it".

"Perseverence"

Slim

see my chin...???

LOL

From an old Bud on the Cougar, et al: "Army vehicles have tracks".

Garry
You know not everyone would get that! Good one.
Cheers

I got that one as soon as read it. Got smacked real good too! God it‘s good to talk to someone that I can RELATE to. Unfortunatly I was born a bit too late for the 60s and 70s era, but I wish sometimes I was! I‘ve helped restore a Ferret(with help from others in the Regiment), now I‘m working on a Mk 2 Bren Gun Carrier, and we have a plan to get a Cent restored as well next year. We know we won‘t get near as many vehicles as the Strats(ptooie! ;) :D ) but we‘re trying!

Ah yes...driving Lynx hatches down in the rain...drip...drip...drip... :mad:

Regards

Franko
Nice to have you aboard Brother.
Cheers Slim

41A, 41F Observer
44C

P.S. How is Tonneguzo making out?

Glen is now a Sgt working at range control in Gagetown...from the last time I heard anything about him.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys..looking forward to arguin‘ with ya!

Recce by Death.....

Regards

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] Glen is now a Sgt working at range control in Gagetown...from the last time I heard anything about him.[/qb]
Franko
If you see Glen say "Hi" from Slim and ask him if he misses the "Gagetown Flushies" he used to get from myself, Brian McKinney, Smurf and Reverend Bob.( I‘d tell you what it is but it would be considered hazing under the puritanical sharp training!)
Cheers Slim

P.S. I don‘t know if you knew Gloria. She was a very switched on girl before she got sick.

Slim...check your mail will ya?

Cheers

Sorry to take so long. I sent you an e-mail.
Cheers
Slim

you guys still yakkin‘?

and they say that having women in the Forces won‘t change the guys.....

:)

Still yakkin...We‘ll do the rest off to the side.

Previous post deleted due to bad humour, too much coffee and too many hours awake!
:evil:

I think we all agree on that one Recon-Man.

Slim...you never got back to me about that subject we were discussing on other means last night, You ok?
Send response other means.

Regards

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] I think we all agree on that one Recon-Man.

Slim...you never got back to me about that subject [/qb]
Sorry...Coming.

Sent you another one on other means.

Pertains to subject we‘ve been discussing, someone else wants in to help explain.

Sorry troops for the veiled speech on these means. Don‘t want to crowd this forum with delecate matters ;)

Regards

Back