• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sorry for Blowing Up Your Truck

Not arguing with you MCG
I should point out that being stationed in Montreal - near tht 3 CSG, 25 CFSD & 202 workshops, I get to see most everything that returns from overseas & in need of some TLC.  Having seen what is parked in lots - in plain view of the general population VS what is kept under tarps / under wraps placed out of plain sight, I have a fairly good idea of what should not be disseminated.

geo said:
Not arguing with you MCG
I should point out that being stationed in Montreal - near tht 3 CSG, 25 CFSD & 202 workshops, I get to see most everything that returns from overseas & in need of some TLC.  Having seen what is parked in lots - in plain view of the general population VS what is kept under tarps / under wraps placed out of plain sight, I have a fairly good idea of what should not be disseminated.

x2

I have work there. And I know what I see too.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
(Not that they'd be able to recognize the vehicle as the one from their specific IED anyway, after all they were 2000m away).

Now, I don't profess to state that pics should be posted on the internet, but frig ... they can listen to the outcomes of their attacks on the news -- Canada does.

Pretty distinct vehicle I would think.However your right on the media,and that's a whole other topic.

geo said:
I get to see most everything that returns from overseas & in need of some TLC.  Having seen what is parked in lots - in plain view of the general population VS what is kept under tarps / under wraps placed out of plain sight, I have a fairly good idea of what should not be disseminated.

I was there last month as well.However I wouldn't dare take photo's of what was in our building we were working in.I didn't see the damaged vehicles outside however,but they did drag a LAV from somewhere into our building.(I was the guy with the dorky yellow visitor pass,looked to be the only one ;D)

We all love looking at battle damage.It's a sick fascination most of us have.Suddenly we become CSI crews debating what would have caused that damage etc with our peers.
I know my butt wont be in one of these ever,but when I see A vehicles posted it does make me a little angry.Sure they may find out as Vern said that 2 pers were injured.But denying them pictures Deny's intelligence.Period.The media rarely says the rear left tire was blown off and the fuel tank was punctured but did not explode.(most of the time if it has a gun it becomes a tank was hit)

I have to agree wholehearted with MCG.There is way too much techint out there,a lot of it not approved.

I remember when this happened.  The vehicle came into the area next to where I was working.  Lucky kid, he saw it coming and was amazed at the amount of packages in the back of the vehicle before the flash.

No OPSEC here just good clean fun.  I enjoyed it; a good morale booster!

Tis is all too far over hyped.  Look in any defense mag or Janes book, all the tech info about a veh that you can get your hands on.  If a guy wants to take a pic of his blown up car, then try and stop him.  he has earnt that right.  If a section/platoon/coy wants apic with an army car then good for them.  The enemy probably knows more about these veh that half the posters here, and so what.  If his bomb doen't destroy it, then he will make a bigger bomb.

Kiwi99 said:
  If a guy wants to take a pic of his blown up car, then try and stop him.  he has earnt that right.
Your personal opinion aside, every sub-unit of TF ORION was told that battle damage photos were SECRET (I recall it was either the Ops O or Trg O that did this).  Given that, there is relevant legislation here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/O-5/bo-ga:s_3-gb:s_4//en#anchorbo-ga:s_3-gb:s_4

.... but lets assume that all the all the sub-units failed to pass this information to thier members, that nobody who was present at the time remembers, and that you do not accept that battle damage photographs are SECRET.  There is still a published order which requires you to have your photograph formally vetted before it starts floating about the internet.  Read para 4 here:  http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2006/136-06_e.asp

So again, to keep it simple, if you have a picture and you want it "out there" then submit it to the CoC to have it formally vetted for release.

tomahawk6 said:
Thought you guys might like this story. ;D

truck_kapot_134653a.jpg

thank_you_afghanist_134654a.jpg

A thank you note of a Canadian soldier was found in a DAF XF transported back to the Netherlands aboard an Antonov. The truck was lend to Canadian forces in Afghanistan.

I remember seeing that roll into the TN compound that day.. quite the site to see...

worst part of it for the one guy in the truck, his wallet was in one of the cargo bins.... he figured his Credit cards would be for sale at the next saturday market!

MCG said:
Your personal opinion aside, every sub-unit of TF ORION was told that battle damage photos were SECRET (I recall it was either the Ops O or Trg O that did this).  Given that, there is relevant legislation here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/O-5/bo-ga:s_3-gb:s_4//en#anchorbo-ga:s_3-gb:s_4 

Labelling battle damage photos as secret is a long-standing tradition and normally was applied to aerial imagery.  It has historically been applied to hand-held imagery and ground targets such as vehicles in the past.  It is becoming more common policy nowadays because of a) most of the targeting methods are against ground-based against vehicles, and b) too many people would take their trophy photos and spread them via the internet despite the fact that they should know better.  Not everyone knows or is trained to know what is and is not of use to the enemy, so the current system keeps you from getting into trouble inadvertantly. (This also prevents soldiers from selling their photos for personal profit to private companies that like to publish said type of pictures, as has happened occasionally in the past). 

Greymatters said:
Labelling battle damage photos as secret is a long-standing tradition and normally was applied to aerial imagery.  It has historically been applied to hand-held imagery and ground targets such as vehicles in the past.  It is becoming more common policy nowadays because of a) most of the targeting methods are against ground-based against vehicles, and b) too many people would take their trophy photos and spread them via the internet despite the fact that they should know better.  Not everyone knows or is trained to know what is and is not of use to the enemy, so the current system keeps you from getting into trouble inadvertantly. (This also prevents soldiers from selling their photos for personal profit to private companies that like to publish said type of pictures, as has happened occasionally in the past). 

I will say this much about the Armour on the HET... That thing is one tough Mofo... I always felt Pretty safe in it. and comfy... Nice Truck to ride Shotgun in. Never got to drive the thing though....  :(

I'm fine with this going out as long as the dutch government are the guys who released it, but that's it.

I was there the night they brought that one in, and a few of us have pictures of the vehicle, and the interior of the vehicle. Cool pics, but not something I'd put up. That, or the details of the incident.

Nice note.

Now if only I had faith in my own truck that it would stand up to such a beating.

The Dutch MOD only released a very small picture and the note in it's weekly magazine. You could not see the detail that you see in these pics. No details were released regarding the circumstances of this attack.

Back