• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Southeastern Command (U.K.) 1942-43

mfreeman

Inactive
Reaction score
I am hoping to identify Canadian regiments involved in Southeastern Command's defense of Southeast England (in  1941(?) - 43). These regiments would have constituted the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Canadian Divisions. More specifically I am interested to know which Canadian regiments were billeted or trained in or near the village of Frant (in East Sussex) or the Hazelhurst School property in Frant at that time. The Saskatoon Light Infantry website confirms that the SLI were billeted in Hazelhurst, but I am hoping to learn of the presence of other Canadian regiments in Frant. The locals fondly remember the WWII Canadian troops to this day.
Milton Freeman, Edmonton AB (pupil at the school, 1945-46) milton.freeman@shaw.ca 

It is my understanding, and I have not studied the stationing in any detail, that units were not permanently stationed at any one locality. This may have been caused by the normal rotation of units through various tactical settings. There may be a file held by Library and Archives Canada, perhaps one from Canadian Military Headquarters (CMHQ), which has details, perhaps to aid in settling damage claims. You might also wish to check the Department of National Defence Director of History and Heritage site, as a number of wartime studies and reports are available on line.

Many thanks for the helpful comment and suggestions. I'll certainly follow up. I have recently received a photo of the Hazelhurst School in Frant as it was when the Canadians were there during WWII that I'll send to any interested. Apparently at the end of the war, oak saplings were sent from the area to Canada for planting at the RCAF War Memorial. 

You might try Pam Wilson here:

http://canadianmemoriesww2.wordpress.com/

Her focus is W. Sussex, but I believe I have heard of a similar E. Sussex project that she may be able to put you in contact with.  Her research experience may also help with sources, etc.

Many thanks for the link to Pam Wilson. I'm following up at this time.

Back