• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Operations Basic Qualification Course Video

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
A CBC documentry taken during the Special Operations Basic Qualification course last year.
[runs about 12 minutes]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4p-kaEMWAU

"To fight like few Canadian soldiers ever have before"...

God what a load of tripe.

The piece is good as far as it goes but the commentary  by the non-military types is PC propaganda and garbage

I thought the video was okay, it had some cool action scenes but nothing really that special though. I do agree that they - a lot of the media commentary - was trying to steer things in a more politically correct, false, and as usual unrealistic way - it was PC propaganda and garbage.

I've known Dr. Langille for a couple of years now, and I don't think his actual views came out very well in that piece. I think CBC may have edited his interview to fit what they wanted, both in direction and time alotted. You can't summarize Langille's views in a ten second soundbyte.

A few points though: Langille is a supporter of the UN and SHIRBRIG, but he wants a UN-employed force, rather than relying on nations' forces. I don't think he's against the Afghanistan mission or the way that we are conducting it. What he was probably saying is that nations (including Canada) should not focus only on the "war on terror," but that there is still a need for "traditional" (but more robust) peacekeeping missions in places like Darfur. He recognizes that the CF doesn't have the resources for multiple missions, and I doubt he would be against increasing the number of CF members and such in order to gain the resources necessary. However, CSOR would be able to provide the kind of rapid reaction force that SHIRBRIG requires.

To sum up, don't judge people based on a small clip of them, especially when it appears on CBC (I'm not saying the previous posters did, just warning against it for all who read this).

I actually found it to be a very good video, great promo for CSOR and CANSOFCOM. :cdn:

I agree with Cameron, I think they left out some bits intentionally of course, but hey its still pumps me to try and join CANSOFCOM

It would have been a good informational video if it werent for the unnecesary injection of 'controversy' and 'alterior political motives'... cut that garbage out and youve got a good 5-7 minute video for new recruits or applicants to look at...

Greymatters said:
It would have been a good informational video if it werent for the unnecesary injection of 'controversy' and 'alterior political motives'... cut that garbage out and youve got a good 5-7 minute video for new recruits or applicants to look at...

Think your right on the money, drop the spin and the 800 person force they mentioned might come around sooner rather than later

Greymatters said:

I couldn't agree more. It would hav been a great video without the BS spin

Back