• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spock the difference! Plans for a new RAF uniform are ridiculed for looking like Star Trek costumes as MoD chiefs say there is 'need for change' due t

They're not wrong. There is a space for "traditional" uniforms on parade (the No.1 as it says) but for the day-to-day, why not replace 3B with something like a golf shirt and machine-washable slacks? It would be cheaper than DEU and much cheaper than CADPAT.

Why is 3B even a thing anymore anyways? I can't think of a business these days (like banks, offices, etc) where people wear short-sleeved button-down shirts anymore. Honestly, it reminds me of the A&W guy.
I was about to post something similar, 3Bs as they currently exist generally are disliked for being uncomfortable, and maintenance heavy for daily use.

Even if we kept a button down as an option, there is no reason everybody sitting at a desk has to have exactly the same clothes. We could have a system of uniform parts that are all allowed to go together in various combinations, to allow each person to wear what is comfortable for them on any given day. Also, for the love of Gawd, bring in headdresses that are useful, and do something beyond look silly, or drop the requirement entirely. Nobody, not a single human outside of the CAF, thinks a silly looking beret or wedge makes you look more "professional" when standing around waiting for a bus.

Keep the fancy clothes for parades, when we need to look pretty, and let people be comfortable at work.

I was about to post something similar, 3Bs as they currently exist generally are disliked for being uncomfortable, and maintenance heavy for daily use.

Even if we kept a button down as an option, there is no reason everybody sitting at a desk has to have exactly the same clothes. We could have a system of uniform parts that are all allowed to go together in various combinations, to allow each person to wear what is comfortable for them on any given day. Also, for the love of Gawd, bring in headdresses that are useful, and do something beyond look silly, or drop the requirement entirely. Nobody, not a single human outside of the CAF, thinks a silly looking beret or wedge makes you look more "professional" when standing around waiting for a bus.

Keep the fancy clothes for parades, when we need to look pretty, and let people be comfortable at work.
I bet the average age of the dress committee is close to CRA so there’s that. I for one welcome jogging pants and slippers as an option in your uniform utopia.

They're not wrong. There is a space for "traditional" uniforms on parade (the No.1 as it says) but for the day-to-day, why not replace 3B with something like a golf shirt and machine-washable slacks? It would be cheaper than DEU and much cheaper than CADPAT.

Why is 3B even a thing anymore anyways? I can't think of a business these days (like banks, offices, etc) where people wear short-sleeved button-down shirts anymore. Honestly, it reminds me of the A&W guy.
We use it in the army for some semi-formal things. It's not like it's an order of dress that actually costs additional money.

We use it in the army for some semi-formal things. It's not like it's an order of dress that actually costs additional money.
It's minimal, but it does cost additional money. Short sleeve shirts aren't used in other orders of dress.

I bet the average age of the dress committee is close to CRA so there’s that. I for one welcome jogging pants and slippers as an option in your uniform utopia.
In fairness to the dress committee, I am closer to CRA than the youngest you can join the CAF, and I'm only 39.

I think it's entirely reasonable to develop a working dress/service dress that is comfortable, affordable, and more modern that what we currently use. It doesn't need to be Team Canada 2022 Winter Olympics modern, but comfortable chino/hiking pants style bottoms, with polo shirts, or button downs isn't unreasonable, or unprofessional. Throw in ballcaps, fleece or softshell jackets, and allow CADPAT winter gear as optional when the temps get really cold.

It would also allow us to develop combat uniforms that are suited to modern combat, not looking pretty in garrison, as well as combat.
Depending on where you work, and what rank you are, 3B is dress of the day.

I think having a bad work/service dress is costing us a lot in needlessly worn out CADPAT, and NCDs because the CAF won't make people wear our crappy No 3 orders of dress as dress of the day.

Someone will required starched collars and creases on the sleeves of those polo-shirts pretty fast...

Replace the DEU pants with something you can throw in a washing machine. Have both pants and shirts made in a fabric that doesn’t wrinkle. Voila, new practical 3B/work dress/garrison dress. Should still be cheaper than using operational uniforms for non-operations.

For the army, add a current issue CADPAT jacket and/or sweater and regular combat boots that DON’T have to be spit shined.

In fairness to the dress committee, I am closer to CRA than the youngest you can join the CAF, and I'm only 39.

I think it's entirely reasonable to develop a working dress/service dress that is comfortable, affordable, and more modern that what we currently use. It doesn't need to be Team Canada 2022 Winter Olympics modern, but comfortable chino/hiking pants style bottoms, with polo shirts, or button downs isn't unreasonable, or unprofessional. Throw in ballcaps, fleece or softshell jackets, and allow CADPAT winter gear as optional when the temps get really cold.

It would also allow us to develop combat uniforms that are suited to modern combat, not looking pretty in garrison, as well as combat.

Depending on where you work, and what rank you are, 3B is dress of the day.

I think having a bad work/service dress is costing us a lot in needlessly worn out CADPAT, and NCDs because the CAF won't make people wear our crappy No 3 orders of dress as dress of the day.
I put in a submission to the Dress committee for more modern DEU pants 3 years ago.

I put in a submission to the Dress committee for more modern DEU pants 3 years ago.
Well, I've heard that they've met recently but the last minutes are from 2018, so maybe your submission is still going through its paces :unsure:

Replace the DEU pants with something you can throw in a washing machine. Have both pants and shirts made in a fabric that doesn’t wrinkle. Voila, new practical 3B/work dress/garrison dress. Should still be cheaper than using operational uniforms for non-operations.

For the army, add a current issue CADPAT jacket and/or sweater and regular combat boots that DON’T have to be spit shined.
If we're gonna go with the "history/heritage" route, all three services used khaki at some point. It's still technically issued, so just bring back khaki pants and shirt.

You can throw the pants in the washing machine no problem; they don't look any worse for wear. The fact that they are patterend on human forms that don't exist on the planet is my issue; no idea how the legs are tight on my skinny chicken wings but the arse is falling off.

Have a few non-wrinkle shirts; they are a lie, and usually full of a chemical soup. Our shirts are made out of cheap material now, but it's really the tailoring of them that makes everyone look like a bag of milk. If they are tapered they look pretty good.

You can throw the pants in the washing machine no problem; they don't look any worse for wear. The fact that they are patterend on human forms that don't exist on the planet is my issue; no idea how the legs are tight on my skinny chicken wings but the arse is falling off.

Have a few non-wrinkle shirts; they are a lie, and usually full of a chemical soup. Our shirts are made out of cheap material now, but it's really the tailoring of them that makes everyone look like a bag of milk. If they are tapered they look pretty good.
I'll take chemical soup that I just need to touch up, over tissue paper thin shirts that I need to starch and press to get into a reasonable state.

Clothing that stands up to normal wash, and normal dry cycles exists, and looks good enough for CAF purposes. We can't claim we need people to look like downtown office workers, then have the majority of our workforce in sloppy looking relish bags.

Work dress never should have gone away, it should have been updated with modern materials.

I'll take chemical soup that I just need to touch up, over tissue paper thin shirts that I need to starch and press to get into a reasonable state.

Clothing that stands up to normal wash, and normal dry cycles exists, and looks good enough for CAF purposes. We can't claim we need people to look like downtown office workers, then have the majority of our workforce in sloppy looking relish bags.

Work dress never should have gone away, it should have been updated with modern materials.

'Barrack Dress' used to be fairly comfy, and sharp looking (unless you're afflicted with adverse BMI).

1644255155674.png

basic training – The Official British Army Blog

Maybe buy something off the shelf like 5.11 Tactical or Tilley (made in Canada!)

Can we all say "work dress" together?

Back