• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SSM

I heard a rumour the SSM was to be awarded to members who served on domestic operations. Haven‘t seen anything in writting and therefore have to chalk it up to a military myth.

I‘m not necessarily against awarding medals for significant things. I‘ll be the first one to admit that I‘ve called it the "I‘ve drank a 1000 beer in Germany and all I got was this medal". On the other hand it is also awarded for very noble causes (the DART deployment to Turkey, Central America, etc). Where do you draw the line with what is significant and what isn‘t?

The CPSM I viewed with abit of distain at first. However, every award that a Canadian is given for serving with the UN or NATO is an award by a external source, in a sense a foreign decoration. The CPSM is Canadian specific for service overseas. Is it a bad thing for Canada to award its soldier for service overseas? I‘ll wear my CPSM proudly.

As far as the older folks who have a chest full of Queen‘s Jubilee, Canada 125, Order of St John, etc. I knew a fairly senior officer who only has a CD and a SSM. He‘s still one of the brightest officers I‘ve met and could put alot of people with "been there done that" medals to shame.

There is more to a person than what is on his chest. If you are evaluating someone based on what they look like that‘s pretty superficial.

Gunner sends...... :D

Good day every one. Just adding my two cents. The GG wears the Centinal medal, the 125, and the CD, In QR&O‘s it states that the GG will have meet the qualifing time for the CD on his/her appointment, since the GG is commander in Chief of the CF. The GG also is awarded the Order of Canada and The Order of Military merit. Once the GG leaves office the medals are their‘s.

For the ranger bar it if for 125 or 130? (one of those) patrols in the artic with a ranger patrol group. They are also eligable for the CD after twelve years of good service.

The SSM is not given for any service in Canada (except Alert) because it is your duty as a soldier to serve and protect your country no matter what that might be.

The Canadian Peace Keeping medal is for thirty days service, any other medal is from another organization, such as NATO, UN, ect..
so the jist is that finaly the goverment is awarding a medal for service in peace.

As for the cadet medal I was under the understanding that only the lord stath medal can be worn if you move on too the CF. But I could be wrong.

Back