• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

St. John Air Cadets Planned Columbine Style Attack in N.B.

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
Columbine copycats
Boys plotted to hit Saint John High, police say

Richard Foot, with files by Mike Traikos
CanWest News Service

Friday, March 18, 2005

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Three teenage boys have been arrested for allegedly conspiring to seize control of a school and methodically murder some of its students and teachers.

Police found gunpowder and other material used for making pipe bombs at the boys' homes and believe the youths had practised making bombs.

The boys, aged 15 to 17, were Saint John air cadets and their alleged plot was planned for April 20, the anniversary of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre where 12 students and a teacher were killed.

At a Saint John bail hearing for the two eldest teenagers on Wednesday, police Constable Rick Russell said the boys were plotting a "planned takeover" of Saint John High where one of the boys is a pupil. The other two are from Harbourview High.

He said the boys had been practising making bombs for some time, and were planning to attack the school's administration offices with explosives, where they intended to kill the principal and other officials with bombs and guns. He said the boys then planned to order a list of "hated" students into the offices, one by one, to be executed.

Const. Russell said police had found writing by the boys naming the people they planned to kill.

He said the 17-year-old had also written: "I hate my life ... I hate everyone."

The alleged conspiracy was uncovered last Friday by fellow cadets in a conversation overheard during a March Break trip to Quebec City.

A separate incident involving the same three boys on the Quebec visit is also being investigated by military police, a cadet spokeswoman said yesterday.

After returning to Saint John High School on Monday, two students reported to principal Barry Harbinson what they had learned in Quebec. An emergency staff meeting was called, and within half an hour the three boys had been arrested.

Although no weapons were found at either school, Saint John police did find gunpowder and other material used for making pipe bombs at the boys' homes.

The teenagers cannot be named under Canada's young offender law.

They have each been charged with possessing explosives, placed under house arrest, and suspended from both the cadets and their schools.

Although there are rumours that school bullying is the cause of the boys' anger, it is not yet clear if bullying is a factor in the case.

Officials at the two high schools spent yesterday trying to calm students and parents who learned of the alleged plot this week.

"It's been a very difficult week and has caused me a great deal of concern," Saint John schools superintendent Susan Tipper said in an interview yesterday. "I find it very disheartening and upsetting that any young person today would be so discontent with their own lives, or the world around them, that they would consider something like this."

At Saint John and Harbourview high schools, counsellors were made available to students yesterday. Officials were also busy telephoning parents explaining the week's events and insisting the schools were safe.

Students were also assembled yesterday morning at each school and told if any had more information about the alleged conspiracy, they should give it to police.

source
--------------------
Yikes :-\

Edited for spelling in title :-[

Thats just sickening.

I read about this story earlier today, but it wasn't as detailed. As I was reading I noticed that the MPs were investigating something during a march break trip. I know absolutely nothing about cadets (thats why you don't see me in their forum), so why a MP investigation?

I can think of a few things, the incident may have occured on a base, possibly MP's get involved if cadets do something stupid in uniform? Anyone know for sure?

At least they where caught before anything happened

I believe they metioned the connection to cadets because the plot was foiled by thier follow cadets , come to think of it the media might show that it was the great judgement of many cadets that helped stop the cadets of VERY poor judgement... but alas that doesn't sell papers so we will be portrayed as villians       I'm just crossing my fingers that they wern't on the range team

All right, so in order to avoid any blackening of the cadet reputation, why not ask the St. John police to recognize these cadets? Or better yet, see if someone from the local paper can do a piece on the cadet corps prior to anyone focusing on the wrong connection?

Focus on how someone could recognize the problem due to learned responsibility and all that...

The fact that there are St John cadets on both sides of this affair would make any recognition of the brave young cadet, who told an authority about the plot, impossible at least until the investigation is complete.  This is to protect identities. (gotta love our criminal justice system)

As for the mps investigating, it's very common for that to happen. For example a central region corps had $200 stolen and they had the MPs come take reports from cadets and officers. I'm pretty sure the MPs are only investigating what ever happened on the trip and have nothing to do with the murder plot.

I'm speculating that MP's would be involved if something they did in Quebec City happened on DND property. Just a wild guess......

Al

Knowing the media they will "play up" the cadet angle, inciting the controversy they love so much, and blind to damage that it causes.

Concerned parents, who have no clue about cadets to begin with, will take their children out of cadets and the politicians will demand that...Well who knows what they'll demand. But whatever it is it will be a knee-jerk reaction and completely innapropriate.

This sucks!

Slim

think of this

these young men planned to kill their principal and teachers, as well as execute every "hated" student in the school.

considering what police found in the homes of these young men, their plans most likely WOULD have happened and they would have gone forward with their intended killings had their fellow cadets not reported anything.

and these three boys got a sentence of HOUSE ARREST, and a measly suspension from cadets and their schools.

in the near future, these boys will be back out on the street.

what happens next time they decide they hate their lives?

THAT is what sickens me. take into account what they had planned, the evidence that was found PROVING their intentions, and then take a look at the sentence the boys received.

what is wrong with this picture?

Why would anybody ever wanna harm a school teacher or principal?

LOL

Military Police enforce the criminal code and QR&O's on all DND facilities. If an offence occurred while the cadets, or civilians where on DND property, then they would investigate and possibly even lay charges.

These kids should have the proverbial book thrown at them for this one. A similar incident that involved an actual shooting at a school in Alberta I believe, has that young offender living in a halfway house in Cobourg Ontario, although I believe he will be moved as local citizens have complained pretty loud about it.

Back