• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

Hey R. Jorgensen!

I was told by a recruiter, that if I can actually run for 10 minutes (no matter the distance, no matter the speed) I can pass the step test.
I think that we will be fine on the step test... my problem is the push ups I only go up to 3... I have an olympic bar at home and I bench press every other day... but it does not go up as fast as I would like. For now I am stuck in medical anyway... ;)

Good luck

I haven't been to the Recruiting Officer yet, however I will find out for myself in a few weeks  ;D :salute:

R. Jorgensen said:
... I can barely make 2.0 km in 13 minutes...
...When I run in moderation and keep a steady pace to maintain stamina I can make 1.47km in 13 minutes, I tried to start off the run at a faster pace and only got to 0.72 miles (the treadmill was calibrated differently than the one 2 feet from my left) in like 4 minutes.

You mean to tell us that your results come from running on the treadmill?  Treadmill makes it easier and does not compare to actual running on the track or cross country - the ground does not move.  ::)

korabian said:
You mean to tell us that your results come from running on the treadmill?  Treadmill makes it easier and does not compare to actual running on the track or cross country - the ground does not move.  ::)

It's the only facility that I have no-cost access to, I don't drive so I can't measure out a course for myself; and my High School does not have a track. I try my best to achieve the best...

R. Jorgensen said:
It's the only facility that I have no-cost access to, I don't drive so I can't measure out a course for myself; and my High School does not have a track. I try my best to achieve the best...

Try this site: Map my Run

I second the recommendation to run outdoors. It's just not the same running on a treadmill.

Just type in www.mapmyrun.com in google. It comes up. Works awesome. I was able to find out the run i do 3 times a week is just over 9km.

Hey all.

I am going for my reserves fitness test next monday which includes the step test.  I was told by the cfrc that i have to reach a level five, is this hard and what does the heart rate have to do with the step test?  I did the 2.4km in 11.30sec yesterday and continue to run 3 times a week.  Also I was told that the people administering the test will not tell me if I pass or fail so I will only know if i fail within 48 hours or when i pass my file goes to the first choice unit, has anyone else experienced this type of thing.  Thanks for now.

Hey davidsonr_91

I was told by a sergent at my CFRC, that basically anyone who is able to jog for 10 minutes (no matter the speed, no matter the distance) will most likely succeed.

Hope it helps

Thanks GF Yeah that does help, i just become nervous bout the test but should do just fine.  I am annoyed by the fact that the ones giving me the test can't tell me if i pass or fail but oh well, thanks for the info.

The only way you could have a problem is if your cardiac rate goes too high while you are being tested.... they test your BP at the start of each level.  It goes too high - they stop you...

Oh yeah... if you are above the weight category your body type says you should be at.... you will fail... cause they calculate your VO2 ... which is also the reason why the CFRC types can't give you your pass/fail "as it happens"

I'd like to try the step test at the gym, can someone explain me what it exactly consists of?

pert basic,
A dummy set of 3 steps.
You climb up & back down same said steps  - to a prerecorded beat.
At each major level, they pause & check your Cardiac rate - if it's too high, you're done for, otherwise - you continue.

It's good but I was preparing myself to do something as hard as a marathon!!  So I guess if I'm well prepared and relatively in shape, I'll have no problem passing this test!

nickhd said:
It's good but I was preparing myself to do something as hard as a marathon!!  So I guess if I'm well prepared and relatively in shape, I'll have no problem passing this test!

Depends on how high your pulse goes.  They used to always stop me after two levels just because my pulse would be too high, but I started at a high enough level for a pass anyway.

Ok and do you guys know how much is the max pulse level?  I am 25 ans, I'm 5'9, 162 lbs.  I'll try it this week end.

Back