• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stores on an Aircraft Carrier

Sounds like NPF activities to me...

• Managing and operating ship's laundry and tailor shops
  • Managing and operating ship’s retail services such as ship stores, coffee shops and video games
  • Procuring and receiving ship's store stock
  • Maintaining financial records and accounting systems
  • Maintaining inventory and procurement databases
  • Serving as cash collections agents
  • Operating and maintaining vending and cash collection machines

Sounds like NPF activities to me...

I don't think running a ship's canteen and that US Navy trade are on the same playing field.

Also that's just about the only time 00165 does/did canteen management. About a decade ago there was talk of them taking over Canex in another move to save the trade. But for some reason or another it never paned out.

It would be like comparing Joe the bootlegger down the road to the a major national corporation.

That's why something similar would never work in the Canadian context. An onboard Tim's would have to somehow have everything flown in frozen from Brantford (well, the coffee could just be pumped from the bilge).

That's why something similar would never work in the Canadian context. An onboard Tim's would have to somehow have everything flown in frozen from Brantford (well, the coffee could just be pumped from the bilge).
That would be an improvement over the coffee served in the messes... I'm certain it comes from the blackwater system, and goes right back into it.

That would be an improvement over the coffee served in the messes... I'm certain it comes from the blackwater system, and goes right back into it.

Little known contracting manoeuvre. Our rations contracts a established to allow the purchase of 10% of the order value off contract.

What that means is if your have a 1000$ order with Sysco you can spend 100$ for items not covered in their standing offer.

So buy the good coffee, and not that Mother Parkers crap. A few years ago I declared war on our contract coffee and that's the solution the FAC came up with.

Take that to your next ship and contact me for references if you need it.

I remember my first steak I had in the Navy. I’m convinced it was 20 year old Holstein cow that was chased from Truo to Halifax before she was butchered. Or they just fried the sole of a seaboot. 😑

I remember my first steak I had in the Navy. I’m convinced it was 20 year old Holstein cow that was chased from Truo to Halifax before she was butchered. Or they just fried the sole of a seaboot. 😑

Always use the horseradish. Really helps.

What that means is if your have a 1000$ order with Sysco you can spend 100$ for items not covered in their standing offer.
That is interesting to know. Thank you.

My seagoing days are decades behind me but some questions remain. I recall there was always some discussion about how the ship's food budget was spent.

There was some faction that called for lots of 'meat and potatoes'. There was another faction that called for nice cheese, fancy sauces and bakery-style bread. (Ok, it might have been what the C&POs wanted and what the wardroom wanted.).

Is that still a 'thing' and to be discussed and accommodated onboard? Or is it a different world now? Just curious.

My seagoing days are decades behind me but some questions remain. I recall there was always some discussion about how the ship's food budget was spent.

There was some faction that called for lots of 'meat and potatoes'. There was another faction that called for nice cheese, fancy sauces and bakery-style bread. (Ok, it might have been what the C&POs wanted and what the wardroom wanted.).

Is that still a 'thing' and to be discussed and accommodated onboard? Or is it a different world now? Just curious.

Prior to my last deployment there was some money from PSPC for the ship, and all the messes got fancy coffee machines (with grinders, milk frothers etc), and we got a whack of good coffee.

The first few weeks there was a lot of jokes about the weirdroom and fancy coffee, but after about a month a few of the juniour guys were having a pretty funny arguement over how to make the best latte, and buying good coffee beans while deployed was a real thing (with a lot of disatissfaction over a whack of really bad local beans somewhere).

I think the 'upstairs/downstairs' differences in taste has changed a bit and it's more along age then rank lines in some cases.

I'll drink whatever is available when I need a caffeine fix, but there are enough good quality items that taste much better than cheap stuff at around the same price point that there isn't much reason to not have a decent cup of coffee. I can make a whole pot of high quality coffee with my $20 grinder and manual drip coffee machine for less than a cup of Tims.

I can only speak for my 22 years, but all messes are served the same food options.

The exception being if a mess has decided to put on a "pub night" for example. Or if a mess has bought some items for themselves, using NPF.

The ration budget is figured out down to plate portion per person and at sea VS alongside.

Prior to my last deployment there was some money from PSPC for the ship, and all the messes got fancy coffee machines (with grinders, milk frothers etc), and we got a whack of good coffee.

The first few weeks there was a lot of jokes about the weirdroom and fancy coffee, but after about a month a few of the juniour guys were having a pretty funny arguement over how to make the best latte, and buying good coffee beans while deployed was a real thing (with a lot of disatissfaction over a whack of really bad local beans somewhere).

I think the 'upstairs/downstairs' differences in taste has changed a bit and it's more along age then rank lines in some cases.

I'll drink whatever is available when I need a caffeine fix, but there are enough good quality items that taste much better than cheap stuff at around the same price point that there isn't much reason to not have a decent cup of coffee. I can make a whole pot of high quality coffee with my $20 grinder and manual drip coffee machine for less than a cup of Tims.

The quality of coffee on the SOA is awful. And I'm a 2 day old, stand your spoon up in it, black coffee guy.

But as I posted above, there is an option.

In the past ships used to load their Annex A in a foreign port with good coffee.

Growing my own horseradish now. Fresh from the ground, freshly shredded is * chef's kiss * .
Grew some of my own coriander a few years ago; I don't really like cilantro much but it was pretty delicious fresh, and the roots were also awesome. Also had no idea how big it was; looks a bit like a massive dill weed plant and had a neighbour wondering if it was that crazy noxious weed that will blind you.

Also curious how hard horseradish is to grow; fresh garlic and ginger are also amazing, and wondering how successful they would collectively be for a potted plant garden that I could bring indoors.

Back