• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Storming Juno-Docudrama

CEEBEE501

Inactive
Reaction score
I found this on another website and searched here and was surprised that it hadn't been talked about here.
Its a Docudrama from History television that is all about the Juno landing, it looks fairly interesting from the trailer.
I did a very quick search and I did not see any other movies that focus on the Juno landings other then a few documentaries.

http://stormingjuno.com/

Key characters are from 1 Can Para, 1st Hussars and Regina Rifles.  There is also a companion documentary with interviews of a number of D-Day vets.

Looks like it might not be bad. I don't imagine they had much of a budget to work with but it's good that someone is trying to tell Canadian stories.

My grandfather landed with the Regina Rifles on D-day, so for me it's got even more interest. I'll be watching.

Watching it very shortly! It looks quite good, should be nice to see a D-Day movie from the Canadian perspective.

I found the docudrama EXCELLENT........BRAVO to History Channel!

tango22a

Given that I am not sure there are any DD Shermans available, I can live with a post Second World War mark being used. I was impressed watching the action of the Sten Gun operate, even if I did not see any cartridge cases ejected.

My only quibbles were the lack of rifle badges of rank on the officers and NCMs (check the bottom photo opposite p. 50 in Vol 3 of the Canadian Official History) and the use of modern radio voice procedure, for example "3 Alpha, This is 33 Alpha, etc." The 1944 procedure would have been something like "Hello 33 Able for 3 Able, etc." Both were small points and I liked the production.

A review.
"Storming Juno docu-drama revisits D-Day":
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/remembranceday/article/888676--remembrance-day-storming-juno-docu-drama-revisits-d-day

I actually just seen the DVD in Wal-Mart yesterday, I was thinking of getting it, it was only $12.99.

Looks like I'm headed down to Wally-World today!!
Thanks for the heads-up.  8)

I watched it expecting another dissappointing effort along the lines of the Dieppe thing they did a few years ago or, even worse, that 'Valour and the Horror' junk produced by Brian McKenna.

Gladly, it was actually quite good. The usual overly melodramatica stuff that appears in NFB type films but, otherwise, quite good. I especially liked the fact that they recreated real incidents.

I also liked the use of the light mortar in the direct fire role. Glad to see I'm not alone!  ;D

Back