• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

stryker how close does it look like a Canadian equipment

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
Mods feel free to move this question to another spot an I did some research but could not find something that  answered my  question.
Here is my  question.
I am a model train guy  and  a company is selling 1/87 scale strykers and to me they  look a little bit like the bision they had in service when I was in the Res  way  back when, early 90s.
How  close does the strkyer look like it, if I cut off the roll cage and extras off the model?

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/729-87090
http://www.trident-miniatures.co.at/USFframe.html is actual model

I am just looking to put a couple on railroad flat cars , kind of hoping they  would okayfrom 3 feet viewing as Canadian
Thanks in advance
Stuart

Having recently been up close with a LAV, it sure looks like one of ours but with different markings of course.  Anything that small: 1/87th could easily be made to look like ours.
I have a 1/35 US LAV with TOWS painted US Woodland that could easily be repainted to look  :cdn:

:2c:

Hi Stuart,

I would go for the LAV C2 sold by trident in place of the Stryker. IMO it looks more like a Bison than the Stryker, though neither has the near vertical side/rear hull of the Bison.

Plus, the LAV C2 it looks to be about 1/4 the price of the Stryker
90013.jpg

wow, I just checked the price on the Walthers site...you train guys get raped! I thought 1/35th scale was getting expensive, but $60 for an HO scale AFV is some serious coin.

Is this the specific model you're asking about...? Your links goto a page with multiple pics/links, 5 of which are "Strykers"...

And this one is the same model# (LAV M1126) as the link to the Walthers site...

87090.jpg

???

Yes we train modelers really  do get taken for  non train models. Even train models have gone crazy in price .
Locomotives are over the 100 bucks on average, some over 300 now. they  are plastic not the brass models of  the past.
Small detail models are wild in price, getting 2 of those models and the flat car for them ride in would cost over 150 bucks. What  i would really  like would be a Leo tank but those in my scale are even more costly. So i will be settling for somethign less

thanks for the input

There is a significant difference in the levels of detail of the two LAV models shown. More parts, and better quality parts, increases the complexity and cost of the moulds.

The more expensive plastic model locomotives similarly have improved detail, including many small parts added on at the factory. More and more model locomotives have different details specific to the particular railway that owned the real version. Cost is added for that, as production runs are smaller.

Now we have companies such as True Line Trains and Rapido Trains making models of purely Canadian prototypes. These are aimed at a fairly small market, and production runs are smaller than a model of an average American prototype. On top of that, Rapido's quality and level of detail are perhaps the highest in the industry, and the promised production of Canadian National FP9A http://www.rapidotrains.com/fp9_1.html be detailed to match specific individual locomotives at specific times during their careers.

Many now come with DCC decoders and sound already installed, which of course adds to the cost considerably.

They're still only about half to one-third of the cost of an equivalent brass model.

Back