• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stupid question about Basic - Aggression

spock

Inactive
Reaction score
I just handed in my application for the reserves yesterday, but I was wondering, in Basic, will the guys pick on you if you're not aggressive? I'm 17 and a pretty gentle guy, I've never gotten into a fight ever in my life. My mom was asking about it, I told her not to worry, since it is the canadian military and hopefully they won't tolerate that kind of crap. But I still want to make sure.

You will not get beaten up on course...

There is one thing though...the duty of the soldier is to be fit to fight. I hope you have the will to fight. Don't forget that you want to join the army, to be a soldier, and the enemy doesn't care about
I'm 17 and a pretty gentle guy

Basic Training SHOULD make you aggressive under control, I dont see it in the PreReq.'s for joining, so no.

I know guys in, who I doubt would hurt a fly if unnecessary. Just be sure, you're prepared to bring it if the time ever arrises. You ARE joining the Army...

Thanks, I realize that. I just want to make sure that we're not as bad as the Americans, they seem to treat their raw recruits pretty badly...

spock said:
Thanks, I realize that. I just want to make sure that we're not as bad as the Americans, they seem to treat their raw recruits pretty badly...

Treating recruits harshly is for a very good reason - it conditions one for the rigours of war later. If you can't handle someone yelling at you, you definitely won't be able to handle someone shooting at you. Seeing as we are at war, this should require little more explanation.

I'm sure glad you consider the CF to be the "kindler, gentler army" hopefully our homicidal enemies don't ever figure that out....

I've seen plenty of fights in the army, both in trg, and in the units. If you are looking for a place to continue being "gentle", do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. This is an organisation created for the purpose of killing other humans when necessary, at the behest of our government. This is not a summer camp or a place to help others.

Think of a writhing enemy screaming on the end of your bayonet - make you queasy? If so, try tree planting, you'll make more money in the summer.

GO!!! said:
Treating recruits harshly is for a very good reason - it conditions one for the rigours of war later. If you can't handle someone yelling at you, you definitely won't be able to handle someone shooting at you. Seeing as we are at war, this should require little more explanation.

I'm sure glad you consider the CF to be the "kindler, gentler army" hopefully our homicidal enemies don't ever figure that out....

I've seen plenty of fights in the army, both in trg, and in the units. If you are looking for a place to continue being "gentle", do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. This is an organisation created for the purpose of killing other humans when necessary, at the behest of our government. This is not a summer camp or a place to help others.

Think of a writhing enemy screaming on the end of your bayonet - make you queasy? If so, try tree planting, you'll make more money in the summer.

Well put, me and words are no fan of each other.  :(

spock said:
I just handed in my application for the reserves yesterday, but I was wondering, in Basic, will the guys pick on you if you're not aggressive? I'm 17 and a pretty gentle guy, I've never gotten into a fight ever in my life. My mom was asking about it, I told her not to worry, since it is the Canadian military and hopefully they won't tolerate that kind of crap. But I still want to make sure.

Depends.  Maybe your definition of aggressive is different than others.  GO! was bang on about the violence part.  Can you handle that? 
I have met a few police snipers and two JTF guys.  They were all pretty cool and quiet.  Remember the saying "beware the quiet man, for he will strike without warning"?  There was a thing that went around the Net a while back.  Never did find out if it was true or not.  It was a story of a reporter questioning a Marine sniper about his job.  When asked what he felt when he was killing the insurgents, he calmly replied "recoil". 

I never got in fights either, even though I was challenged at bars all the time.  Fighting with some tool only wrecks your buzz and your clothes.  Now I get paid to fight, and that is no problem either. 
There is quiet, and there is being a pussy.  If you are just a quiet, grey, blend-in kind of guy, that is perfect on basic.  But if you are going to get flustered and weepy when a master corporal starts to question your genetic heritage and your mothers receiving of it, you may run into some problems. 
If you are pulling your weight and not being a burden to your course mates, they will have no reason to rag on you.
Don't sweat it until you need to.  Good luck.

"Yes, just like they did in Grade 6. "

_ Subtle, but she makes her point.  Life is like grade six.  You know those guys and girls you thought would never amount to much in life, because they were losers in Grade 6?  You were right.  losers then - losers now.  Bullies then - bullies now (though maybe a bit more refined...).

When I went to school (note onset of ominous music in background), parents and teachers were fond of saying that grade school teachers could predict who would do well, who would get 4 years in Stoney Plain, etc. Those sort of predictions are out of fashion now, but leopards do not generally change their spots.

So, yes, you will encounter your quota of sociopaths in the CF, more so than you would in the US military, because the US military has mandatory pschological testing for ALL entrants, but we are stupid and do not.

And it is costing us a LOT of money, believe me.

Tom

The guys on basic should be helping out everyone after the first week or so, after they've figured out the Army is a Team and all that stuff.  So unless you have a major problem with someone it should be fine.

If you have good instructors they will challenge you more often then perhaps the others, to bring the agressive side out of you, you'll need it on your section attacks later in SQ.

And if people are making fun of you/or the instructors seem to be picking on you, remember that its all a big game.  Its a head game, sink or swim.  Play the game and you'll do just fine.

And remember, the team thing ends where your safety and that of others begins.  If you think you have a wacko on the floor, don't try to cover for him/her or help them adjust, TELL THE STAFF.  Tell them of the threats, the ranting, the bullying, the buddy-f_cking, TELL THE STAFF!

Otherwise, the guy/girl will eventually fold, but damage others in the process, use up valuable med/psych staff time, claim a VAC pension for PTSD in basic, drive PAT/PAR platoon in Wainwright nuts, cost us an Airborne Regiment, etc.

Don't carry your TRASH - DUMP IT!

Tom

Yeah thx guys, I'm just the kind of guy that doesn't like getting into the mess of the fight, mostly because I might get blamed for it afterwards (and get suspended, so on and so forth). I just don't want someone to take advantage of that. It's good to know that there's someone you can go to should this becomes a real problem.

Spock unless you are a true pacifist, basic training SHOULD bring out an aggressivness in you that is used under control and not allowed to run amok! If after basic, or during, you find yourself seriously questioning whether or not you can KILL your enemy then take Go's advice and put your release in.

This is not meant to discourage you but is just a wake-up call. For if you cannot kill your enemy you are a liability to your section! Being that liability may end up costing the lives of your fellow soldiers! :threat:

That being said I should ask what trade are you enrolled as?

I understand my role within the army is to destroy the enemy. Especially that I've applied for a combat arms trade, R021 artillery field soldier. But I'm not talking about the enemy in Basic, but the guys in the same uniform as I am. I just want to make sure that I can report any kind of unacceptable behaviour to my superior when I encounter it. I want to make sure that if the CF encourage a dog-eat-dog environment, where the aggressive are encouraged to pick on the more quiet and inagressive guys. That being said, if I'm been pushed too far, I will fight back, I just hope it won't come to that.

The army has a great deal of different types of people.I'm my opinion have you ever thought of a great career as a hippie?There is no room for Ned Flanders types in the army...they are here, but there is no room for it.

Basically I wouldn't worry about the guys in basic or battle school,their basically only civilians at that point.I would focus my worry at 5 years service in a regiment with people who prey on the weak.My question to you would be why are you joining a organisation that trains to kill/mame people,trains to be as tough as possible when you SELF DESCRIBE yourself as gentle!Maybe you have been brainwashed by Canadian media to believe all we do is put on blue berets and had out candy to kids.Do a little more research into what it is your doing.

Having said all that negativity remember you still have rights. If someone is giving you a hard time bring it up to instructors.

I am not the guy who goes looking for bar fights,starting shit for no reason.But prior to joining the army I pictured getting the shit kicked out of me for 10 weeks by instructors,crawling through mud etc....maybe it was my generation/personality but I was looking forward to that.I thought it was a army not a scout camp.But due to the gentle people like yourself who have entered in prior it's a safer place.

spock said:
I understand my role within the army is to destroy the enemy. Especially that I've applied for a combat arms trade, R021 artillery field soldier. But I'm not talking about the enemy in Basic, but the guys in the same uniform as I am. I just want to make sure that I can report any kind of unacceptable behaviour to my superior when I encounter it. I want to make sure that if the CF encourage a dog-eat-dog environment, where the aggressive are encouraged to pick on the more quiet and inagressive guys. That being said, if I'm been pushed too far, I will fight back, I just hope it won't come to that.

If you want to be in the cbt arms, think of it this way;

Men attracted to the cbt arms are usually (not always) young, fit, aggressive (they find the idea of fighting and war attractive) competitive, (think organised sports) and placed in an unfamiliar, high stress environment that encourages dominant, leader-follower relationships. The expressions "eat your weakest man" and "you are only as strong as your weakest link" come into play.

Those who are unable or unwilling to perform their duties, or who constantly make mistakes that result in punishment from their superiors can expect the other members of their team to try to induce them to quit, usually through social pressure (ridicule, ostracism) and in extreme cases, physical pressure (blanket parties/assault), although it should be emphasized that these are not very common.

The CF does act to prevent soldiers from being assaulted and picked on in training, but like I said earlier, if you are the weakest, most passive and quiet guy in the tent, there will usually be a bully who can sense a target, and ten other guys who will just go along with it. You can report every little thing you want, but your superiors are there to train you, not baby sit. Complaints are investigated, but if you can't protect yourself, you can't rely on the chain of command to do it for you. You must stand up for yourself!

In my experience, the soldiers who had the best experiences in their military careers were the assertive, more aggressive guys, with histories in martial arts, team contact sports, other risky endeavours (civilian parachuting, bungee jumping etc.) they were not choirboys, who characterised themselves as "passive" or "gentle". The more passive types generally left quickly, finding that the army was "not for them".

From what you have written here, I would look elsewhere if I were you. The army will not make you aggressive, it only magnifies the character you have. The aggressive thrive and the passive draw into a shell.

If youre going infantry and youre asking this question, I smell a VR.

Anyways, being on my DP1 course and seeing alot of people fall out, re-coursed, injured, VR, etc... I can say that yes there is a fair amount of "teasing" picking-on the weaker guys, After all this is the infantry and you are expected to be a hard-knock.

Adapt and overcome, grow a tough skin if you dont have one

A Sgt. once told me, "When i first joined, on my first day, i was told 'immigrants to the back' during a meal line. Right then i learned, broaden my shoulders and thicken my skin, otherwise i wasnt going to get far".

Sh0rtbUs said:
A Sgt. once told me, "When i first joined, on my first day, i was told 'immigrants to the back' during a meal line. Right then i learned, broaden my shoulders and thicken my skin, otherwise i wasnt going to get far".

When was this 1948??

Who  was this Sgt. that still served?

Sorry I am calling you on this comment.

dileas

tess

Back